Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Eduard Brassin wheels, 1/48 B-17, 1/32 P-51, and so on

I just got a set of these in the mail from spruebrothers.com. I have to say I was all kinds of excited when I found out that they were going to be releasing them, as they couldn't help but look amazing.

Up until now, if you wanted to build the Monogram G or Revell F, there were only had two choices.... kit wheels, or True Details resin replacements.

The kit wheels, for what they are, aren't bad at all.

The F-kit's wheels have circumferential treads, and are molded with the early-style hub cover in place. Treads are represented about as well as can be expected, given the 1970s era mold technology.

The G-kit's wheels are later diamond tread without the hub cover. The wheels themselves are decently detailed, but the tread is lacking, to put it mildly.

True Details - they're made in both circumferential and diamond treads, but no hub covers. The GOOD thing about them is that the treads are more accurately represented. The BAD thing, in my opinion, is the simulated bulging. To me, True Details bulgings always looked a little exaggerated, and I always had trouble trying to sand them down to reduce the problem. Also, in all three sets that I attempted to use (B-24, P-61, and PBY), there were bubbles in very hard-to-fix areas of the wheel areas.

Now, along comes Eduard.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/B...eels-1-48.html

There is only one style out now - the most commonly-seen style - diamond tread, no hub covers. This is cool, because you can see pics of this style on all types of F and G Forts, all through the war. As always, consult your references... I've seen 'early' circumferential treaded tires on postwar B-17G's, so never say never.

What you get is the tire itself, with separaely-molded inner and outer hubs. They're gorgeously-molded, too. No flaws, no bubbles, details are as crisp as any injection-molded piece you'll ever see. In short, top-notch resin work. (see link above) They ALSO give you paint masks! WOOHOO!

In addition to the beautiful detail, you get something that hasn't been seen on kit wheels - Goodyear logos! Well, more accurately, GOOB-YBAR LOL!

Here is my own pic, comparing them to F and G kit wheels:

As you can see, MUCH MUCH BETTER. That pic was taken after I removed the pour stubs from the wheels and hubs. I also hollowed out the very center of one of the wheels. Also, I cut the little aligning nubs off the insides of the hubs - I want to make SURE the brake line (visible on the outer half of the hub) is aligned properly. (the hubs are stationary on the real bird.)

If I had to gripe.... and the purpose of a review is to cover ALL the bases, good and bad... I'd have to mention that the axle hole is much too small. It'll need to be drilled out before it can fit the kit landing gear. Of course, by the time a modeler is advanced enough to be using such hardcore detail parts, he or she ought to be able to drill a hole.... however, the F and G's kit axles are the same diameter....and they are the ONLY 48th B-17 kits available.... so I don't see the point of Eduard making the hole so small.

My other gripe is VERY small. The placement of the GOOB-YBAR logos. When you remove the pour stubs, it's pretty much a cinch that that area will HAVE to go on the ground. This means that the logos will be at the very top of the tire, one tire aligned with the other. Again, this is VERY minor, but I would like to have seen the logos in different places. It'd give a little randomness to the area.

Conclusion: A MUST-HAVE AFTERMARKET ITEM. TWO PAWS UP! No question about it! They will make a BIG difference on your build.

Looks like I'm not the only modeler to feel this way, as spruebrothers is ALREADY sold out of them.... and at least one other store (1999.co.jp) is limiting them to one per household!

Last edited by The Cat; 03-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eduard Brassin B-17 wheels, 1/48

Thanks man. I'm in for a set.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

Just ordered my set of goob-ybars. Thanks for the recommend brotha.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbs View Post
Just ordered my set of goob-ybars. Thanks for the recommend brotha.
Anytime Glad to be able to help!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM
It's gonna get real now.

I don't have any pics available (yet), but I just gotin a set of Eduard's P-61 wheels.

They are NOT going on a P-61 though... their new home will be a Monogram B-26 I'm working on. Looks like they'll work for 1/48 B-25s too!

*Somebody* insinuated that I have a tire fetish..... they MAY be right.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM

krow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to behold

Cat: What is your choice of landing gear? I have the verlinden set for my 17 ,but after weighing the p/e sets I was thinkin of some metal legs.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
BOING BOING BOING

Cat does a good review and comparison here:

www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=14079

Your 17s gonna be heavy but those white metal just don't do it for me.
Scratch 'em Krow! With your skill set I'd say it's time to break out the brass and flux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krow113 View Post
Cat: What is your choice of landing gear? I have the verlinden set for my 17 ,but after weighing the p/e sets I was thinkin of some metal legs.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM

krow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to beholdkrow113 is a splendid one to behold

Yes I did see the review ,and I was surprised at the conclusion.I had heard all SAC does is recast original kit parts in metal but I thought the 17 set would be better.The Verlinden am kit has resin legs and p/e details, I'll prolly go with those.
Not too hard to scratch if necessary .

Last edited by krow113; 12-01-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Default Re: Eduard Brassin wheels, 1/48 B-17, 1/32 P-51, and so on

A comparison shot of Eduard's 1/32 P-51 wheels alongside the Tamiya kit wheels.