Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Bronco Models 1/35 Type XXIII U-boat

I swear some of these manufacturers screw up the fiddly bits so the aftermarket folks can make some money.

I wonder if Bronco is affiliated with Eduard.....

Nice review!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
I swear some of these manufacturers screw up the fiddly bits so the aftermarket folks can make some money.

I wonder if Bronco is affiliated with Eduard.....

Nice review!
Thanks Neb!

It seems that the kit represents an early Type XXIII. Modifications were
made throughout it's (short) service life. Different flood vent configurations,different styles of conning towers,etc.....

From what I've seen so far,it seems that areas of this kit have been left
intentionally devoid of detail purely for the purpose of adding after-market details.

I see lots of resin,and photo-etched details in this kit's future.

The hard part will be,waiting for them to come out before I can start building.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Seems like another kit that will require plenty of resins and PE, dammit!!!

B
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably build it OOB, but I'm perverse that way...

Great review, Robert-Thanks. Given the amount of aftermarket stuff that came out
for the big 1/72 scale subs, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing gets a full interior
eventually.

On a related tangent, I've been hearing for awhile now about how off the big Lindberg
Japanese boats were - can anybody point me at a review that documents the errors?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

I have the I-53 from Lindberg Doc. It is QUITE the disaster. Front bow shape is completely wrong, with an awkward downslope on the forward 20 foot of the bow. If measured to scale the forward hatch would be like 10 feet in diameter.

Here's a review and an attempt at fixing the bow by none other than DAVID MERRIMAN. It's actually a good read.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109801

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Damn almighty, what a waste of styrene!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM
My ass is itchy...

I've often thought of just building the damned thing just to try out new weathering techniques.

Or using it for a hull for a starship.

A 58" long star ship....

Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 AM

Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a look at it in a bit, and thanks, George. When he's not being theatrical, Merriman can write pretty well. I ran across articles he did in FSM ( years ago )
that were models (ahem ) of civility...
Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
I've often thought of just building the damned thing just to try out new weathering techniques.

Or using it for a hull for a starship.

A 58" long star ship....

Hmm - one BIG honkin' version of the GAL Astral Queen/Prison Barge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Yo View Post
I'll have a look at it in a bit, and thanks, George. When he's not being theatrical, Merriman can write pretty well. I ran across articles he did in FSM ( years ago )
that were models (ahem ) of civility...
Hah!

First thing I noticed on the RC forum was that his account was suspended
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Hmm - one BIG honkin' version of the GAL Astral Queen/Prison Barge...

Hah!

First thing I noticed on the RC forum was that his account was suspended
I was following that thread when it was new----I can't remember what he did, but I know it was his mouth that got him in trouble.

Imagine that....

Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Eh, 'nuff said...but, oi, poor Lindberg. I could see doing the fix ( I'm masochistic that way ) but still, I can see why folks were feeling angry over this. The hatch thing is
just...weird. Maybe the tool maker had relatives at the battle of the Yalu in 1895...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM

tsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Yo View Post
Eh, 'nuff said...but, oi, poor Lindberg. I could see doing the fix ( I'm masochistic that way ) but still, I can see why folks were feeling angry over this. The hatch thing is
just...weird. Maybe the tool maker had relatives at the battle of the Yalu in 1895...
I was amazed when this came out that people were disappointed in it. I knew from the start it would be a mess, it was made by Lindberg after all.

two major generic errors in the boat:

1) all the details were classic Lindberg: take them from the parts bin. doesn't matter if they are wrong or way out of scale, its what we have, so its what we use. pretty much every other Lindberg model suffers this fate (see their 1/32 pt-boat as an example)

2) everyone was expecting the more common C3 version of I-53. what Lindberg made was the KD3 pre-war I-53 (later renamed I-153). no-one seems to know if it was a mistake, or if Lindberg intended it that way.

in the end, it made for a catastrophe of epic proportions.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM

tsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to behold

I have ordered some parts from britain for this kit, a brass prop, propshaft, motor, WTC, etc. I had intended to build this as the third in a set of subs, but the more time and money i spend getting the parts in order for this and the other two, the more i think....

a triple sub building marathon...

set myself up in a mass production kind of mode and make all the major sub (pun intended) assemblies for each, in turn, and have 3 new subs rolling out of the "shipyard" relatively quickly.

i mean, lets face it, there aren't a lot of parts to a plastic model of a submarine, the time and energy will be in the construction of the WTC, and in the painting... and it is more efficient to make 3 WTCs at the same time than separately.

Last edited by tsenecal; 03-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
My ass is itchy...

Make sure you do a build thread on it (if you have time of course )

I'd love to see it!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

I'm wondering......

Now that ROUND 2 has purchased LINDBERG,if they'll do an accurate I-20?

Maybe produce a "correction set" for the I-53 too?

Personally...(as far as LINDBERG goes) Thank God that dinosaur of the modelling industry
has finally become extinct.

Last edited by U-boater; 03-30-2013 at 07:13 AM.