Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

I love 1/700 ships. I enjoy putting 'em together and doing a semi-decent job on them.

1/350 is different to me. When I do a 1/350, she has to be done as right as I can... which means PE. The right PE treatment for the big ships can be quite expensive, and that's why I don't do many of them.

I'm getting a 1/700 North Carolina from The Duck. I'm getting excited about it - I've read all the reviews I can on the 'net, been checking my paint locker to see what all I need, etc.

This past Friday evening, I thought I'd get my 1/350 North Carolina out and play around with it. I bought her a year or so ago, messed around, stuck the hull together.... and decided that she'd have to wait on the PE treatment.

In addition to being a model of a battleship, it's a model of a Vacation Spot. Every time my wife and I go to Myrtle Beach, a trip to Wilmington is always on the itinerary. Not only that, but when I quit smoking, my last cigarette was smoked on The Showboat's bow, at a 20mm mount. Also, the ship was visited when my wife and I were on out honeymoon. (I have an exceptionally cool wife.)

So, it's a special ship, and it'll need the full treatment!

I figured, what'd be the harm of putting her funnels together?

What about some of the superstructure parts?

Oh SNAP! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?

To be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbnc.jpg (35.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

Hey Cat!

Check out a company called LION ROAR.

You want to give her "the full treatment",they'll give you details on a
microscopic level.Pricey,but I think you'll find their detail sets rock!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I have to agree totally... in fact, a colleague here on RI (Hint! Hint!) just ordered a Lion Roar set for his. It's pretty much a one-stop shop!

Problem is, my Showboat's waterline. If I got that set with those pretty brass screws, I wouldn't have the heart to let them go to waste... and I'd have to do another NC build and..... you get the picture Also, they don't include the screen that goes over the hawsepipe.*

Other options were:

Gold Medal Models. I ruled them out because no floater net baskets** and no 'NORTH CAROLINA' for the stern.

White Ensign - They're out because you have to buy a set of 40mm and 20mm PE to go with it. ***

Tom's Modelworks - I like Tom's stuff okay except he's not big on relief etching. I do like his floater net baskets better than anyone else's.**

So, that left Eduard. No metal barrels, BUT they give you a bunch of stuff you don't get in other sets. Also, I know from their Zero sets that they're not 'fiddly'.

I'm thinking that I'll use Yankee Modelworks replacement turrets.

1. They come with metal barrels
2. They have blast bags
3. They have detail on the base of the turrets that's missing here:

Pacific Front sells the LionRoar 5" barrels seperately, so I'll end up with those too. As a matter of fact, there a lot of other odds and ends there I might end up getting....... it's time to start raising funds! (My wife has unilaterally passed a law banning deficit spending.....)

I can't help m'self... she's going to be painted in the same camo that the real Showboat's wearing right now. Not only is it my favorite scheme, but my wife loves it. Spousal support is verrry important when it comes to fleet expenditures.

But one of the first things I'm gonna have to do is work on the ugly-assed kit bow... She needs the bull-nose rings, and those awful hawse holes have GOT to go..... Compare the pic of the real girl above with the kit below:

(These are pics of the stock kit with LionRoar additives)

* I have some sort of anchor fetish. The ones on the Buchanan are too small... the ones here are the right size but the holes are....off. Drives me batty.
** Why are all the baskets EMPTY??? Does NOBODY make the nets to go in the things???????
*** I absolutely hate it when companies do this....they either assume that you just happen to have spares, or worse, they do this intentionally so you'd have to buy another of their products?? That's why I'm definitely NOT going to buy Dragon's PE upgrade!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Don't worry Cat I haven't forgot....Real world got in the way for a couple days
You know I was also looking at the Yankee Modelworks turrets also...There is something about the kit ones that bugs me other than the detail you have pointed out...I can't figure it out but they bug me
But I am also on a money ban from my spouse so I have to chip away at the account ever so slightly so I don't get bitched at!
On mine I am pretty much building her as she came except for the addition of the Lion Roar PE set. Plus too I have decided on her late war camo
I'll post some pics later of what I have accomplished so far
I do have a customer build going on right now...I am trying to get it done so I can fully focus on the NC

Tom
Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien9479 View Post
There is something about the kit ones that bugs me other than the detail you have pointed out...I can't figure it out but they bug me

Tom
Exactly!!! I can't figure it out either! Right there with ya, bud!

I've come up with a shopping list for some other odds and ends. If you guys know anything about these products would you care to give me some feedback about 'em?

Voyager 5"/38 turrets (I was just going to get barrels for the kit turrets but for a few bucks more I can have replacement turrets?)

L'arsenal 40mm Quad gun tubs and ammo racks (Need good racks in the tubs!)

L'arsenal 20mm ammo lockers and gun tubs

L'arsenal bitts and chocks (You expect hourglasses but the kit gives you beer cans....)

L'arsenal SK-2 radars. They look some better than the Eduard. Haven't made my mind up about them yet.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Pics.

I had to do something about that hawsepipe.... unfortunately I had attached the deck loooong before I decided what to do.

I cut out the hole in the deck. On the real ship this area's very prominent so the kit needed some attention. Also note the little pimple that the kit has in place of the ring on the sides of the hull:

I cut out the front, non-planked section...

... and added pieces of plastic tubing. Most of this area isn't a precise fit....

...nor does it need to be. Most of the hole will be covered by the PE screens... but you need to see depth. You also need to be able to see the anchor chain going down and actually attaching to the anchor itself.

There won't be much visible from the sides when the anchor's in place...

Note the 'ring' on the outside of the hull, where the anchor sits:

I'm going to make that out of two layers of plastic tubing, turned in a lathe.

That seam in the deck is a <censored>. I'm open to suggestions....

Here are her main components:

I. Love. That. Ship!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

That's quite a list there!!
I was also looking at the L'Arsenal gun tub racks...I was also thinking on their 40mm quads
I haven't had any personal experiences with them but the reviews I have read have all been good
Well I'm glad I am not the only on who thinks the kit turrets are "funky"
Oh yeah that seam is a ( fill in any appropriate word )!!
I ham fisted mine and lost some planking detail live and learn!

Last edited by Damien9479; 09-24-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien9479 View Post
That's quite a list there!!
I was also looking at the L'Arsenal gun tub racks...I was also thinking on their 40mm quads
I haven't had any personal experiences with them but the reviews I have read have all been good
Well I'm glad I am not the only on who thinks the kit turrets are "funky"
Oh yeah that seam is a ( fill in any appropriate word )!!
I ham fisted mine and lost some planking detail live and learn!
I'm just going to learn to live with the missing planking... that'd be a witch and a half to rescribe it

Their 40mm quads.... you know, it would make sense to invest in them. I'd hate for the Eduard guns not to fit in the L'Arsenal tubs!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Model Psycho

Yeah the quads come 6 in a pack for like 14 bucks...Not too shabby
And a major improvement over the kit ones!
That deck seam is the worst seam I have dealt with for a while.
Like I said I lost some planking but the deck blue hides it pretty well at normal viewing distances
Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The good thing about those other turrets and the 40mm stuff is that they're not needed 'immediately'. They can be added as time goes on

Oh Crap.

I just did a search.

Look what I found.

Figures.

Damn.

A crew!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Go here.

Be warned!

http://www.steelnavy.com/Arsenal.htm
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Model Psycho

Huh....Didn't know Preiser made naval figures? Cool
I was going to go with Goffy figures for mine...They are tiny...resin..and probably a pain in the ass to paint!!!
Wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
It's gonna get real now.

My wife has just volunteered to paint the figures!!! Whatta gal!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Model Psycho

Cool!!
That's one thing you don't have to do!!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:05 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

Looking Good. Just thought I'd add this, the name of the ring the anchor chain goes thought is called a "hawse pipe lip". For what it's worth...