Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

^
D'OH,i should have picked the substandard stuff there Cat!!!

Now remember i know nothing about good building but when we did our Interceptor roof spoilers we had ta fill them with bondo to be able to cut em back and get a better shape.
It might work and worth a go before scratchin a newbie?

Carry on dude!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Now damn it Cat that is something I'm going to have to do now!!
I never really noticed it till you pointed it out!
Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Hey Cat,
Thats some more nice looking PE work dude,a pitty that tower needs reworking though.
Instead of scratchin a new one because this is too thin,can't you thicken up the back's of those corners with some bondo then shape?
NOOOoooo. USE AVES!!! Its stronger and less likely to flake off while you're working on it.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 AM
On Vacation

fokkerpilot has disabled reputation

Damn nice work there Cat! Impressive stuff. Can't wait to see this finished up with the crew members on it.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien9479 View Post
Now damn it Cat that is something I'm going to have to do now!!
I never really noticed it till you pointed it out!
Good news is, it's a pretty easy cure.

I used the kit's tower as a template and made a new one out of .125" plastic sheet. You'll need some extra strength when gluing the pieces together so make sure you sand the joints to give the CA something more of a bite.

Then just start carving and sanding. Here's where a good sanding block pays off!

The fun thing is that after you drill out the portholes, the PE set provides you with all the missing details.

There are a couple decks that circle the tower - I have a cure in mind for that and we'll be able to use the kit parts for it.

BTW - the 'flag boxes' on the back... none of the PE sets come with new ones and the kit parts look crappy, having a solid top and all. SOOO, slice them off and turn 'em upside down! Not 100% accurate but a damsight better than they were. Plus, we can add some scrap PE to them and make them look a little better
Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

That look's fine dude,much better than the kit part!!
Well done!!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I hate kit parts!

I love pictures!

Someone on here (whose name rhymes with BB43man) sent me a bunch of pictures of North Carolina and told me I could use 'em however I wanted here on the board.

A word about Cliff: The man's a Craftsman. Check out his Battleship Tennessee thread - you'll see what I mean. If there was ever a guy who deserved to be snooty and have an uppity attitude, it'd be Cliff - but he's the exact opposite. Not only is he a total kick-ass modeller, and a living vault of knowledge, but he's actually written an honest-to-God BOOK about Tennessee, called USS TENNESSEE IN WORLD WAR TWO. Published by Squadron-Signal, even! Look for it on Amazon. I'm going to buy a copy - not just because it's about one of my favorite battlewagons, but because a member of RI's family wrote it!

One other trait the man has is MODESTY. Hell, if I'd have written a book, I'd be so proud of it it'd be plastered all over the place. But not Cliff...

Cliff:

Anyway, he let me, so I'm gonna use 'em. They're a lot better than generic 'beauty' shots - they're of those little details that we modellers crave.

On with tha show!

Here's the pic that made me notice how wrong the kit tower is:

And it's germane to this situation because of the 40mm mounts right at the bottom of said tower.

Here's the kit part. Check out the back end of it (on the right side in the pic).

It's not supposed to bow out as much as it does, and the front sides of the tub should extend forward more than they do.

Here's what I mean... compare these pics:

and the kit:

I got worried when I noticed that the hole for the 40mm mount wasn't exactly centered...and when I dry-fitted the gun's base it wouldn't rotate all the way around. That made me study the pics and notice the problem.

More cutting of sheet plastic is in my future.

Also, I messed around with Part A9. It's the wheelhouse roof, and it has the mount for the forward 5-inch director molded on it.

I kept sanding it down on the bottom side until the plastic got reaaaallly thin, then I just trimmed it out. I did that because I'm replacing the 20mm ammo lockers, I'm wanting to replace the director mount, and I want to make that deck all one piece.

BTW, in the kit, this target designator is missing:

The good news is that Eduard provides a PE mount, or it can be easily scratchbuilt.

Damien, if you decide to add these directors to your NC, let me know.... I can send you some of my kit pieces.

I. Love. This. Ship.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Kitty-San,
Your affinity for the ship is reflected in what it has become- a labor of LOVE! That shows and keeps the modifications fun and challenging instead of just frustrating.

Keep it up buddy!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Thanks Duckmeister! She's one special ship

More tower.

The kit part's in the second picture...

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

Looking good!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Looks great there Cat!!
I think I am going to stick with the inaccuracies of the kit on my build
But my next NC build will definitely have all these improvements!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 PM
It's gonna get real now.

More scratchbuilding...

Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Model Psycho

NICE!!!
That's looking REAL good there Cat!!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned

Very nice. You need to post more often tho, i was going thru withdrawls.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Thank you, guys! I JUST WANNA START PAINTING! LOL