Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All
Default Re: 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

Damn it!! That's what I forgot to order today!
Turrets!! Thanks Cat!!
Looking good so far...Keep it going!

Tom
Old 10-11-2008, 04:47 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Hey Tom, have you ordered the turrets yet?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Nope not yet
Old 10-11-2008, 05:18 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Okay then, here's a prescription for ya:

1:350 Voyager WW2 US Navy Twin 127mm Mk28 Mod4 Gun Barrels #VND0702 (make sure it's a set of 20)

1:350 Yankee Modelworks North Carolina Class BB Replacement Turrets #3006 (comes with the 5" turrets you'll need)

I got mine from spruebrothers.com. They're economical, reliable, and FAST shippers.

ALSO - Make sure you keep your kit 5" barrels!

After taking those turrets home and doing some comparisons, the Yankees are pretty much the best. The Voyagers were like my ex-wife: They look great, well-shaped, I liked them when I first saw them, but dimensionally they're just a bit off. The back end is too small and the openings are too big.

You won't want the 5" barrels in the Yankee set, and you may want to cut the kit barrels off the curved part and use said curved part in the Yankee turrets. I'll give ya pics - it's an easy mod.

Dave
Old 10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Model Psycho

Looks like you wiped them out Dave!!
They are showing 0 stock on both items
I do see that Freetime Hobbies has the turret upgrade so I'll probably hit them up....I have ordered from them before and had zero problems
Now my Lion Roar set has the brass 5" barrels so I can probably skip the Voyager ones
The ones in the LR set are pretty good...And I already have the brass 16 inchers too

Tom
Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien9479 View Post
Looks like you wiped them out Dave!!
They are showing 0 stock on both items
I do see that Freetime Hobbies has the turret upgrade so I'll probably hit them up....I have ordered from them before and had zero problems
Now my Lion Roar set has the brass 5" barrels so I can probably skip the Voyager ones
The ones in the LR set are pretty good...And I already have the brass 16 inchers too

Tom

DUUUUUUUHHH!!!!!!

I totally forgot about the LR set having the barrels!

Sheesh!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Model Psycho

Hey no problem...I don't even know what day it is half the time!! LOL!!
I definitely need the turret upgrade because the kit ones suck!!
I dummied one up and the gaps from the side plates are unacceptable
From the pics you have posted the Yankee ones look really good
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Dammit!

I just went to Freetime Hobbies and what did I see?!?

Trumpeter 1/350 Prinz Eugen!!!! (preorders....)
Old 10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Also, just noticed that they have the Yankee turrets
Old 10-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Model Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Dammit!

I just went to Freetime Hobbies and what did I see?!?

Trumpeter 1/350 Prinz Eugen!!!! (preorders....)
Yeah I saw that too
My wife threatened to cut my nads off if I buy anymore before getting the ones I have done
Old 10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
It's gonna get real now.

LOL I hear ya! Mine's been after me to finish some off before I get more too

Hey, does FTH take paypal?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Model Psycho

Yep they sure do!
Old 10-11-2008, 06:41 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien9479 View Post
Yep they sure do!

Oh, shit.

I mean, I'm glad they do!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Model Psycho

Do I sense a Prinz Eugen pre order?? LOL!
Man, I think you have said it before and I know Don and I have talked about it
This is the golden age of modeling...There is so much cool shit coming out
Especially all the IJN offerings
But like I said my wife has put a stop on my buying for now...LOL!
It's hard enough to convince her I need upgrades...let alone more kits
Man I have 5 BB's and 2 carriers I need to build so that's what?? 6 years? LOL!! Maybe they will have dropped in price by then!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Time for a walkaround (well, sort of)

The Big Picture: Starting to look like a Battlewagon. Finally LOL

The Main Battery. Please ignore the rampant wonkiness of the barrels - they're the kit barrels cut off and mounted temporarily until I can get some brass ones.

The turrets are extremely well-made. I'm happy with 'em. If you like the way they look, it's the fault of the maker, not me

The ladders are from the Eduard set. If you use these turrets you'll need an aftermarket brass set for the ship.

That deck seam is a Mofo and a half. I don't know what I'm going to do with it!

Fore superstructure. I LOVE the 'faceplate' that Eduard gives you for the wheelhouse. They also give you PE target designator tubs and mounts for the top of said wheelhouse, which are missing from the kit.

I used a couple extra tubs from Essex, as after I had assembled the the PE ones they looked like a stomped soup can. My fault, not Eduard's!

Also check out the PE addition on top of the main gun director. It's beautiful and I dread painting it!

Also also, Eduard gives you a deck house (in front of the citadel) that is missing from the kit. It looks a bit weathered in the pic because I lightly sanded it and the brass is showing thru. I did that so the CA would work better.

Here we see one of the after boat cranes. Of all the PE work, this was one of the most fun and enjoyable parts to build up.

The tops of the funnels don't seem to be raked enough so I'm adding a styrene shim and sanding it down.

Check out the 5" turrets - they came with the 16" set. I like 'em!

Missing from the pic is the 40mm mount that goes with the forward funnel. Problem is, the 'blocks' that represents the bases of the 5" directors is all wrong - the spacing is wrong and the edges need more curve - sort of like the Citadel. It won't be a bad fix tho More styrene sanding and shaping, which I like!

Under the overhang that is above the rear of Turret 3 you'll see a PE deck and railing. That's another thing missing from the kit that Eduard provides! They even include a bracket for the mounting of the after ship's bell.

Class.

The back end of the Showboat. The aircraft crane looks odd because I haven't attached its pulleys,,, the front tip will look much more crane-like after I do that.

Eduard's catapults...........

Propriety prohibits me from properly expressing the emotions I felt during its assembly. There's nothing really wrong with its design, it's that I just had the gorramdest time with it. I'm not happy with the job I did but them's the breaks

Maybe I can do some painting on it this weekend. It's been driving me CRAZY - and I wanna PAINT darnitall!