Resin Illuminati
 
Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Wonderfest, Past, Present, and Future!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Mike, to your ear, how much difference is there between the two accents in that vid?
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 PM
777's Avatar
777 777 is offline
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,459
777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Liked the brunette accent. I thought there was a pretty big difference between the two. I'm guessing the brunette is considered "rednecK"? But I don't care!!
__________________
Choose your own god, it doesn't matter anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Liked the brunette accent. I thought there was a pretty big difference between the two. I'm guessing the brunette is considered "rednecK"? But I don't care!!

Yeah, the character definitely has some redneck quirks about her.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
LastBattlestar's Avatar
LastBattlestar LastBattlestar is offline
Glacial Pace Builder
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Oz
Posts: 6,316
LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Yeah, quite noticeable accent differences. As a 'foreigner' I'd associate the southern accent with country people, despite the fact that most probably live in cities. There certainly are marked differences in US accents (we've been soaked in American TV shows from birth). The New York, southern, Gloucester and Texan accents are the ones that stand out however. The most dominant aspect of the American accent is definitely the heavy emphasis on the 'R'.

Canadians sound more American than Americans do. To my ear at least.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Yeah, quite noticeable accent differences. As a 'foreigner' I'd associate the southern accent with country people, despite the fact that most probably live in cities. There certainly are marked differences in US accents (we've been soaked in American TV shows from birth). The New York, southern, Gloucester and Texan accents are the ones that stand out however. The most dominant aspect of the American accent is definitely the heavy emphasis on the 'R'.

Canadians sound more American than Americans do. To my ear at least.

Mike
That is VERY damn interesting. Seriously.

To me, Canadians tend to sound like our Midwesterners in that they're almost accent-neutral. The biggest differences I've heard between the two are how the Canadians pronounce 'ou' as in the word 'out', and to a lesser extent the 'o' as in 'cold'.
A buddy of mine at a local network told me one time that people with Midwenetrn-like accents are greatly preferred in broadcast work.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM
777's Avatar
777 777 is offline
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,459
777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Yeah, I'd agree with Mike in that a Canadian is what (to me) a stereotypical American should sound like. Tell a Canadian that and they'll have a swing at you (in fact, if the Canadians didn't have their weird "hey" at the end of 90% of their sentences...)

There are certain American TV shows that had - what I thought at least - characters that just sounded fucking "out there", as though the show was deliberately playing up the accent to make the character funnier. Then I went to America and when I heard people actually speaking like that I could not stop laughing. At first I thought they were taking the piss, but... damn funny.

The hotel I stay in Brooklyn has a very nice lady check us in. Very nice, always making polite jokes even when we all stagger in at 3am. But, she talks like Tom's owner from the old Tom and Jerry cartoons. I love hearing her talk (and I think she gets a laugh out of us idiots as well!)
__________________
Choose your own god, it doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited by 777; 05-04-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 AM
suki5150's Avatar
suki5150 suki5150 is offline
suki5150
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Liverpool, ENGLAND.
Posts: 2,518
suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Yeah, quite noticeable accent differences. As a 'foreigner' I'd associate the southern accent with country people, despite the fact that most probably live in cities. There certainly are marked differences in US accents (we've been soaked in American TV shows from birth). The New York, southern, Gloucester and Texan accents are the ones that stand out however. The most dominant aspect of the American accent is definitely the heavy emphasis on the 'R'.

Canadians sound more American than Americans do. To my ear at least.

Mike
My friend Keith who was born, raised and still lives in Los Angeles sounds like the turtle from Finding Nemo to me........

He says I sound like Paul McCartney on steroids......... His wife asks him for the universal translator when I leave a message on their machine.


The trick is simply to listen what people are saying. Sadly a rare thing these days. I gladly have no trouble understanding anyone with any crazy accent.




__________________
PLEASE visit my FLICKr site for some great pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27074773@N02/
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
lakespeed's Avatar
lakespeed lakespeed is offline
Oh my!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 7,310
lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Most of the things you'll find different between parts of the USA is the fact that we'll use different words for the same thing. Like, in NY I'll order a soda but in the midwest, and even some parts of the south, it's a pop not a soda.

Makes it difficult sometimes to get your point across.

Plus, you'll notice that I talk pretty neutral even though I'm from NY, but that's because I live outside of NYC. People from NYC have wicked accents.
__________________

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.


Last edited by lakespeed; 05-04-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

In my area it's a 'Coke' or even a 'Dope', as in "I'm gonna get me a dope and a moon pie".

That Noo Yoahk accent IS wicked.

Never has it been more effective on me than in this one porno where this chick said, "Fuack me wit yo beah kyan dyeack!" (Fuck me with your beer-can dick! - something I have NEVER been told to do)
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is offline
Super Sniper Ninja Commando
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Shilo, Manitoba
Posts: 390
Ryan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud ofRyan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

777 - Yeah, I'd agree with Mike in that a Canadian is what (to me) a stereotypical American should sound like. Tell a Canadian that and they'll have a swing at you (in fact, if the Canadians didn't have their weird "hey" at the end of 90% of their sentences...)


It's 'eh', ya hoser! Now if you'll excuse me, if I'm going to make it all the way to Wonderfest, I better get the sled dogs all fed up for the trip, eh?
__________________
Common sense - so rare it's a goddamned superpower.

Last edited by Ryan; 05-04-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's 'eh', ya hoser! Now if you'll excuse me, if I'm going to make it all the way to Wonderfest, I better get the sled dogs all fed up for the trip, eh?

Watch out for all the mooses - you may have to knock them outta your way with a hockey stick, eh.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Neb's Avatar
Neb Neb is offline
My ass is itchy...
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Little Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,683
Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
Most of the things you'll find different between parts of the USA is the fact that we'll use different words for the same thing. Like, in NY I'll order a soda but in the midwest, and even some parts of the south, it's a pop not a soda.

Makes it difficult sometimes to get your point across.

Plus, you'll notice that I talk pretty neutral even though I'm from NY, but that's because I live outside of NYC. People from NYC have wicked accents.
And at the same time, I can pick up just a hint of Canadian in your voice. I've worked with a lot of people from Buffalo, and you guys actually have a distinct sound.

I was born and raised 35 miles Northwest of Pittsburgh, and though it's not as thick as when I was younger, I still say "yins" (our version of y'all), and youse ( as in "youse guys") . "Pittburghese" as it's known tends to be very nasally at times.

ME? I still think Brits are waaaaaay smarter than me just because they talk so cool..... At the same time, Australians make me happy because the way they speak sounds "fun" to me.

I mean, Mike could tell me to go fuck myself and I'd probably laugh!
__________________
On WF:

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:25 PM
The Cat's Avatar
The Cat The Cat is offline
It's gonna get real now.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bound for Starbase Atlanta
Posts: 18,399
The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
There, I fixed it for you.
BURN, Part 2!!!!!!

Last edited by The Cat; 05-04-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Neb's Avatar
Neb Neb is offline
My ass is itchy...
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Little Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,683
Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Wonderfest Roll Call

I'm afraid to post......








__________________
On WF:

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Developed by ForumThemes.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.