Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All
Default Viper MkII from FM Sci-Fi Models

I'd like to kick this new section off with the FM Viper MkII kit. This kit is, I believe, out of production so not very timely but may be helpful to someone considering buying one that is for resale. I haven't started building it so this review is strictly my first impressions.

It's in 1:20 scale. I have to say that even after seeing build threads and final pics of this on line I was still surprised by its size. It is big!

I ordered the clear parts version for lighting and there's quite a few clear parts included with this including the cockpit consoles, engines, and parts of the pilot. The castings are sharp and clean. As far as I can tell prior to assembling the kit the parts seem to have no warping or distortion at all that might cause a problem during the build. There are a lot of parts. Some of them have the base or plug left on from the molding process. These will take some grinding or sanding down to remove.

The instructions seem very complete and there are color painting and decal guides included. The cockpit window glass is included as a sheet of acetate that needs to be cut out following an included template.

Another nice touch is the base inlcuded with the kit. Its got the BSG logo printed on the bottom of a plexi disc and a real wood (walnut) base. The base is cool but for myself I'm planning on turning this base into a wall clock for the workshop and doing a case for the model.

I don't think this would be a good kit for someone who has not built resin kits before as it's fairly complex. It's geared toward the more experienced model builder.

-Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09861.JPG (76.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09862.JPG (80.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09863.JPG (57.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09864.JPG (65.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09865.JPG (54.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09866.JPG (71.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09867.JPG (79.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09868.JPG (54.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09869.JPG (69.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09870.JPG (49.3 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by dbhs; 03-17-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:44 PM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Viper MkII from FM Sci-Fi Models

I had one of those.

Actually a great kit. Great cast and stand supplied too.

Look forward to this build man.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

I'm waiting for the feeling to be just 'right' before I start this one. I know it's going to be a fun one to build.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 PM

katana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud of

I had to jigger with the engine front side scoops and wings,but it does go together very well. I lost the top tailfin and it was re-supplied to me without cost. Very few bubbles, a clean nice casting.

Excellent customer service and model.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
By Your Command

GoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the rough

All that and an can of Pepsi. I am sold.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM

meterman30214 is on a distinguished road

Great kit. Only negative might be the really big pour stubs which caused a lot of work to cut and grind the stuff away.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
2nd time member AKA: TheoD

Theo2 will become famous soon enoughTheo2 will become famous soon enough

I live pretty close to Frank and convinced him to let me come by his house to pick up his first version...the "Starbuck" viper. Definately a build for the experienced modeler, but one of my favorite models. Later I bought the "Apollo" version with the clear parts, improved cockpit and landing gear. I've been working on it off and on for the last two years, but it is an improvement in both fit and build options. If you can lay your hands on one I highly recommend it. It far outshines any injection plastic kit.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:05 AM

Gans is on a distinguished road

Wow 1/20 that would be great. How much were these being sold for at the time?
Checked ebay ...........none there
How long ago were these being sold. I love kits that come with a figure included.

Another one to go on my wanted list

Gans

Last edited by Gans; 08-07-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

droplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud ofdroplite has much to be proud of

I have one of the non-clear part kits...yet to build.

As it has been said... waiting for the mood to build it. Which is why I am not going to buy the plastic version that has been released.

Still... Frank was cranking these and other kits out there for awhile... then he went silent.

Too bad.

He had decent products.