Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 02-29-2020, 10:15 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Spindrift from Polar Lights

The Spindrift is the suborbital transport featured in the 1960's Irwin Allen TV show "Land of the Giants".
Like most of the vehicles in shows created by Irwin Allen (the Seaview and Jupiter II) the Spindrift's interior is much too spacious to fit inside its exterior, this is referred to in sci-fi circles as the Tardis effect in homage to the time traveling police box from "Doctor Who".
This is my build of the Polar Lights repop of the old Aurora model kit...

Box Art by Steve J, on Flickr

At just over 10 inches long, it's the larger of the two styrene plastic kits currently on the market - the other kit is produced by Moebius Models and is half the size.
The kit included two pilot figures and a stewardess but not the 5 passengers.
The kit figures were also too large for the scale of the ship so I decided to make them and the passengers from scratch using Caesar Miniatures Modern Urban Resisters vinyl figures. I ended up making new, more screen accurate seats as well.

Some of my bashed together crew and passengers...

Four Completed Figures by Steve J, on Flickr

A view of the passenger compartment...

Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

Pilots...

Steve Burton at the Controls by Steve J, on Flickr

I also bought aftermarket decals for the exterior and interior as well as an accessory kit with engine grills and rear wall cast with open holes for lighting. This kit also included a teardrop shaped top dome to replace the inaccurate kit provided round dome...

Aftermarket Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Aftermarket Engine Grills by Steve J, on Flickr

Lastly, I added my own LED based lighting system to go along with the Tenacontrols engine flasher board I purchased separately.

Anyway, here are the finished pics...

Spindrift from Land of the Giants - Finished by Steve J, on Flickr

To view more in-progress and finished pics check out my album here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/296074...h/49592815172/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5774.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	73714  

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."

Last edited by Trekriffic; 02-29-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:51 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Spindrift from Polar Lights

You are really not hangin' about are ya? Another design that never gets old in my opinion and you've done it justice here. Clean build, excelent interior work and the overall presentation is nicely understated, the base compliments the model well.
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Nicely done, TR!

For some reason, of all of the models I had when I was a kid, I remember the day my mom purchased this kit for me. ( yes, the original released kit ) I remember sitting in the car while she was shopping and drooling over the kit. I also remember the interior was a pain to fit together!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:51 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Nicely done, TR!

For some reason, of all of the models I had when I was a kid, I remember the day my mom purchased this kit for me. ( yes, the original released kit ) I remember sitting in the car while she was shopping and drooling over the kit. I also remember the interior was a pain to fit together!

We shared the same experience as a kid I think.

The interior? It's still a bear. Besides the ill fitting walls it made matters worse when I had to shave down the forward sidewalls in the cockpit to provide enough clearance for the light panels and LED's. Lots of test fitting and modifying went on. I had intended to leave the top loose so I could show off the interior when finished but it was just nigh on impossible to get the lid to fit properly without any gaps so I ended up gluing it down. Besides, I already had plenty of photos of the interior to show off.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:51 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

I can also remember hand painting the exterior stripes, sheesh.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:21 AM

mb1k New face in the crowd

Very nice! Those decals will be a great help when it comes to finishing mine. What was your choice on exterior color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2020, 06:22 AM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1k View Post
Very nice! Those decals will be a great help when it comes to finishing mine. What was your choice on exterior color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oddly enough I used Testors Flat Grapefruit in the small bottle. ModelMaster semi-gloss clear was sprayed on for the final coat.