Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Fantastic! Where do I begin?
1) The bridge module looks like a styrene kit piece... like I could swing by Toys R Us and pick up my own copy.
2) The lower primary dome looks like a lot of rectangles got filled it? Ouch. Accident, or deliberate?
3) The Close-Field Directional Sensor definitely looks like a cousin of the later Excelsior, which, as we all know, had an improved space-time driver coil that improved resolution over earlier systems. This is clearly an earlier iteration, probably lacking the KWILL and CONUS equipment, but still a leapfrog over the TOS ships. (And yes, I made that all up.)

Best-
Thanks Mr. FI,

The filled-in cast rectangle ports on the lower primary was intentional. I thought they were too tight to the bottom of the primary after this was trimmed to fit. I will be adding a few round ports at a more reasonable viewing angle.

Yeah, the CFDS's flux capacitor runs parallel to the oscillation over thruster. Also, clearly late TOS.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

All this technical jargon makes my brain hurt.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 01-31-2016, 05:28 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

More plodding along. Weekend update highlights:

The Rec Room was fitted with small magnet mounts to allow for easy removal and access to the lighting/wiring. Thanks to The Cat for the idea and the magnets themselves! The bridge module and secondary hull spine will also be removable for the same reasons.

Light test with these VERY small SMDs seems promising. There are bright and will be hidden behind the overhead bulkhead trusses to illuminate the REC interior. I have red ones as well which will be used in the twin utility upper hangars.

The main sensor was scratched from a 4" clear plastic holiday ornament (Hobby Lobby). I was looking at how to construct the dish - several crazy ideas came to mind - and this proved to be the easiest and took about an hour or two to complete. A Dremel cut the rough shape from the dome and was cleaned up by file. Bits of styrene and brass tubing completed the assembly and an oval panel line scribed onto the face:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Hot damn. Great idea with the dish you done there.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

*weeps tears of pure nerdy joy*

1) I love the magnet mount, in both design and execution. This means the whole top module pops off for wiring maintenance? If so, that will require tight seams between the module and the top of the saucer, true?

2) Any concern of light-leaks through the white resin areas? (Or is there a black coat coming soon?)

3) I love the execution of the oval saucer. Hypothetical scratchbuilding question: if you had gone with the "D"-shaped saucer, do you think that Christmas ball idea would have been a good choice? (I'm soliciting other ideas, in case I ever go scratchbuilding... Random speculation is encouraged...)

Best-
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
*weeps tears of pure nerdy joy*

1) I love the magnet mount, in both design and execution. This means the whole top module pops off for wiring maintenance? If so, that will require tight seams between the module and the top of the saucer, true?

2) Any concern of light-leaks through the white resin areas? (Or is there a black coat coming soon?)

3) I love the execution of the oval saucer. Hypothetical scratchbuilding question: if you had gone with the "D"-shaped saucer, do you think that Christmas ball idea would have been a good choice? (I'm soliciting other ideas, in case I ever go scratchbuilding... Random speculation is encouraged...)

Best-
1) Correct. The bridge module and the top spine of the secondary, all the way to the pylon junction, will lift off for internal access. A 'window sill' will border the areas to help seal in any light leaks. The lighted ports will also have self-contained 'light boxes' to help control any spillage as well.

2) These SMD are one-sided, so they are directional. Aiming them down from the overhead to the deck below in this location keeps any hot spots from showing through the resin hull. I placed other LEDs against the hull - testing for glow transmission - and it's minimal. I'm confident enough that the primer coat and final paint will block the rest. At the very least, black will work too but I think all can be fixed externally with paint.

3) I'm no physicist but I think the parabolic curvature of these dishes (with a spire centered above the focal point of the reflected signal) all begin with a sphere. So, no matter how you cut out the outer shape of your 'dish', it should be cut from a larger spherical shell. That's not to say you can't have other shapes, I'm just speculating.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:37 AM
All ahead full

Base and mini metal Builder's plaques arrived yesterday. I ordered these on Friday! These are printed on a bronze-like brushed metal. The little one will be mounted to the internal frame.

The Yard engineers inspect from an over head bluff near Tyco Base.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Man, that base is beautiful.

I've always said that the base is the "Icing on the cake". It honors the work the modeler put into the piece.

I've seen beautiful builds attached to a base that is so bad it actually makes me think of the build differently.....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM
SPACESHIP!

Blappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
Man, that base is beautiful.

I've always said that the base is the "Icing on the cake". It honors the work the modeler put into the piece.

I've seen beautiful builds attached to a base that is so bad it actually makes me think of the build differently.....
Yup! I have seen bases that probably lost someone a Gold at Wonderfest. They should not be an afterthought.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:40 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blappy View Post
Yup! I have seen bases that probably lost someone a Gold at Wonderfest. They should not be an afterthought.
True. Even though that shouldn't be a criteria--- judges are only human. Subconsciously it does affect the overall impression. (I believe) I mean---- I'm no Frazier Crane but I hear that from other modelers all the time:

"What's up with that base?"

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Man that base is a work of art in itself. Something truly worthy of the work of art it will support.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Simple and clean base work, which is how it always should be for this kind of model but that's just me.

Always believed that the model is the thing that is being shown, not what holds it up. I echo what George said about it being the icing on the cake and that's true.
Just the icing, not a slice Top work sah!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
I echo what George said about it being the icing on the cake and that's true.
Just the icing, not a slice Top work sah!
Maybe I should have said "Icing for the cake...

Old 02-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Base and mini metal Builder's plaques arrived yesterday. I ordered these on Friday! These are printed on a bronze-like brushed metal. The little one will be mounted to the internal frame.
[...]
The Yard engineers inspect from an over head bluff near Tyco Base.
Yowza:
1) Where did you get the plaques made? Did you have to apply any treatment to get that appearance?
2) The monolith returns! I want to believe two of the astronauts are fist-bumping of the impending champagne-bottle smack on the nose of Jack Lord's new boat...

Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Yowza:
1) Where did you get the plaques made? Did you have to apply any treatment to get that appearance?
2) The monolith returns! I want to believe two of the astronauts are fist-bumping of the impending champagne-bottle smack on the nose of Jack Lord's new boat...

I don't think this guy has a website but his Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/plaques4props/?fref=photo

The plaques are .02" thick aluminum. The image is dyed into a special coating that is applied to the metal. The special ink that it's printed with gets pressed into the coating with an industrial heat press. It will not come off. He can do any size up to an 8" x 10". $11-$12 each. Very quick turnaround.

I did that astronaut pic just for you! Jack has ordered several cases of champagne.