Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 AM

Sherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to all
Default NBSG Studio Scale Viper Mk 2

This is the FM Studio Scale New BSG Viper Mk 2 (the Starbuck version)
I got this kit second hand....(or third hand..I'm not sure)... This is the first version of the Mk 2 that FM put out... they have since replaced this with an updated version, called the "Apollo" version, which is much better and has more stuff to it.

When I got it, the kit was missing.... a pilot figure, seat, rear cockpit detail, and joystick. Some other parts were not the greatest castings,(the guns) and the engine casting for the lower engines were two for the same side..

I started by building up the basic parts...(there was alot of filling of seems needed anyway)..... scratch building new guns using the originals for guides....scratch building a pilot seat and adding the detail panel to the back of the cockpit.

Also, I had to scratch build engine detailing to have a symetrical look to the lower engines...because of the two engine pieces I got for one side.

Here's the first pics

Old 10-30-2007, 08:59 PM

Sherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to allSherlock Holmes is a name known to all

Next, the "Starbuck" version of this kit did not have any kind of detail in the missle tube area, soo.... I scratch did some minor detail here. Opened two holes (for missle tubes) and put in a lip to make the whole thing look inset. 8)

Also on this version, where the rear landing gear doors are supposed to be, there are two huge blocks of resin...

I ground these off flush, sanded them smooth and scribed the landing gear doors following the CGI model as a guide.

Gil

Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM

The cockpit on this first version of the kit is alot more basic then the "Apollo" version.
I built the cockpit with the instrument panels provided. then got creative and, using a picture of the "Apollo" version cockpit, I scratch built a secondary monitor and extra gauges to make it look more like the updated kit.
Also added some extra detail to the center consol.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM

The basic paint coat was next up. The ship was painted Tamyia Insignia White..(which is a very light gray) and the engine details, guns and cockpit were painted, then dry brushed with steel to wear them down a bit.

Real aluminum, copper, and brass wire and tubing was used to detail the engine sections.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Further in the painting, I painted the markings on using Tamiya Racing Red. And I painted the exhaust cans and glued them inplace.

At this point I had to take a breack from the build-up of this model as I was waiting for FM to send me a pilot figure, and the decals I was missing...
More on that later....
You also may have noticed, I painted the stand as well.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 AM

And I detailed the cockpit with white, red for buttons. Added some aluminum tubing to the seat.
The basic color for the cockpit is dark gray with black panels for the instrumments.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:42 AM

At this point I was still waiting for the pilot and decals to show up from FM...
I had finished another poject, and had run across a set of Tamiya 1/20th scale racing car crew figures. (this was after I had figured out that the Mk2 was really 1/20 scale and not 1/24th)

I decided to have a go at making my own pilot figure. So I picked the parts out of the set that would give me a fairly good start on a figure with the right pose and everything.
Here he is in his basic form (sory for the blury pics)

Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM

While I was filling, sanding, detailing the figure...I had one problem that was nagging at me..... how the hell was I gonna make a helmet for him??!!!

That problem was solved when I finally got the package from FM with... (actually)... 1 and a half figures in it!!!!
That was pretty nice of FM.... who I contacted by e-mail to make sure it was ok to use one of the heads for my own figure. Which they didn't have an issue with.

So, here are pics of the (almost) completed figure. I still needed a clear face plate for him and I needed to scratch build a joystick.

The flight suit details...(pockets, flaps and all)... as well as the vest like thing that they wear on the show, are all done with two part epoxy resin.
A colar for the helmet I did with strip styrene.

Again, sorry for the blurry pics

Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Decals...... I was asked, by a friend, to build his Mk2 kit for him. But he wanted some custom decals that had a custom call sign and serial number.
Since I didn't have my decals sheet yet either, I ordered two custom decal sheets from JT Graphics...(they do the sheets for FM anyway).... and I got them both before FM sent me the replacement.

Sooooo.....

I used my custom one. My decals read.....

Lt. G. BRUMANA
"HAMMER"

2113NC

With the decals on, I proceeded to weather the model with dry brushing steel on most of the leading edges, washing the engines with grimmy black, then dirtying down the model with chalk pastels.
Here is some pics of the (still unfinished) pilot figure in the cockpit of the weathered model.

Then here are pics of the finished figure after I finally got the face plate for him and finished the joystick.... He's all ready to "FIRE" on the Cylons..

Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 AM

The "Final" pics are in the "Final" section for the contest.
Check them out and please let me know what you think..

Gil