Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future
Default Kazon Raider

Yes dear RI member you read that title correctly. I have built a Monogram Kazon Raider. This kit quite possibly is THE worst injection modeled kit in history. So why build it, you may ask? I wanted to see if I could elevate a crappy kit. Improve upon it in some ways and try some different things. I built this kit while I was working on my Nebula builds. So here is how the build went.

I knew from the get go that I wanted to light the model so I had to modify the warp nacelles to let the lights shine through. I also had to fill the injector marks

This piece is called the warp core in the instructions. The studio model was lighted in the area so the front wall had to go

This is how I was lit the warp core. I cut the styrene to fit inside the main hull and mounted the LEDs to it

I believe that the instructions called these Neutrino Collectors. I think they look like armor

I made a grill for the warp core out of brass railroad fencing

I view from inside the hull

So there are bits on the rear of the main hull that glow. But as I said before this kit was not made with lighting in mind. So I had to thin out the plastic down to allow the light to shine through.

A closer look

The bottom hull part with the elephant trunk. There are windows in the trunk so I had to add an LED to it

This is a bad picture of the rear of the warp drive after I installed the new clear parts I made. I cut the top off of a clear container from the grocery store and I painted it with Tamiya Clear Orange

And the front showing the Bussard Collectors

When I did a test on the warp core lighting rig, it wasn't bright enough, so I added 2 more LEDs

Lighting test

View of the new Warp Core

There are no windows on the model. There were on the studio model. Monogram provided window decals. I applied the decals to the model before painting and drilled them out. The windows on the studio model had a yellowish tint to them. So I dipped white LEDs in Tamiya Clear Yellow

The bottom after I installed the warp nacelles, The seams were the nacelles meet the hulls were HUGE!

Side shot also showing the Elephant trunk

For paint I used a custom mix of Model Master tans and brown

I didn't want the raider to be monochromatic so I used some different colors on the model Including Alclad Exhaust Manifold, MM Rust, Brown, and Tan.

I painted the "mechanical" detail areas of the model with Alclad Exhaust Manifold

more detail painting

Assembly and detail painting are complete. I attached the "wings" amidships and the warp core shroud

The masks removed from the glowy bits on the end.

Top view

Bottom view

Front View

Here is the completed model on the table at WonderFest

I am really happy with how this model turned out. Yes, it's an ugly duckling and the kit is bad. The Raider did not win anything at WonderFest, but I'm okay with that because I like it. I think I was able to accomplish what I set out to do. I am curious what you have to say. How did I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_220940_zpsepdphz4d.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	72983  

Last edited by Trekmanscott, M,Ed.; 08-24-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: Kazon Raider

That's... surprisingly stunning. The term "a silk purse from a sow's ear" comes to mind.
Well done.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

You'll build ANYTHING, won't you?

Seriously---- came out good.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
You'll build ANYTHING, won't you?
Anything Trek...

Last edited by Trekmanscott, M,Ed.; 08-28-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:48 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Very nice! You did a yeomanlike job on this. Now I want to build one too!

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."