Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Figures

Figures Figure WIPs

Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM

Sym-Cha New face in the crowd
Default Upgrading a Hasbro Rancor EU version

I've always loved the rancor from Return of the Jedi ... ever since I saw it some thirty years ago. So yesterday I started working on my recently purchased Hasbro Rancor minus it's rider ...

. . . to upgrade it with sharper details and a more screen-accurate paintjob ... this is my work-shop ... where the magic happens ...

. . . and posing with the rancor keeper ...

. . . you can clearly see that I already sharpened his teeth with magic sculpt and sandpaper ...

. . . and finally ... recreating my favorite rancor movie-shot ... alas with the unfortunate gamorrean guard ...

Chaim Murzan Photography 2013

To be continued . . .

-Chaim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rancor - Upgrade - 04.jpg (507.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:55 AM

ChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the roughChrisMac is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Upgrading a Hasbro Rancor EU version

Pretty neat build- I'll be watching!

Every now and then you find a Hasbro kit that has potential, guess this is one of them.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 PM

Thanks ... ChrisMac ... this Rancor has potential indeed, whether I have enough patience to finish it of properly and not hastily ... is an intirely other matter.

Chaim
Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Today ... I took a step back ... and looked at pictures of the Rancor

. . . and of the one Rancor just in front of me ... and there was something off ... I've always been good at spot the 10 differences between two of almost the same drawings ... yet I just could not lay my finger on it ... and that's when it hit me ... the fingers are one bone to short on this hasbro version thus making the nails appear extra long ... so all I had to do is remove some of the plastic around the nails in order to be able to recreate another finger bone ... before changing the shape of the finger-nails ...by the way all the removed plastic you see on the left will be re-used again as bumps and lumps on the body ... with some magic sculpt added ... just so you know for those folks, like me, who are keen into recycling as much stuff as possible ... even when upgrading a Rancor ... so here you see what I removed ... oh yeah and I clipped some bits off of his thumb nails too ... now they are much sharper in appearance . . . so far so good ...

... next adding some magic ... sculpt!

To be continued . . .

-Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM

Indeed the Rancor wears an earring in his left ear-lobe . . . . . . as do I

Okay instead of magic sculpt I decided to work on his nostrils instead ...
eventhough you can't tell this from my above pictures there are 2 round
holes in his nostrils for the reigns of the Falucian Rider as you see here in
a picture from google :

So I ended up to file into the soft-plastic to make them more screen-accurate ... the rancor could finally breath properly now ...

and here you can see I added some left-over finger bits to his outer jaws ... which were unnaturally flat ... now they look more organic ...

To be continued . . .

-Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 AM
It's blazing hot in here!

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Great up-grades.

It's always the little added details, that really add character to a project.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks U-boater,

Indeed ... just very, very slow progress ... due to summertime and Tour de France ha,ha,ha ...
more soon after Star Wars Celebration Europe 2 where I'll be 'working' as part of the SWCE 2
Volunteers Crew at the mainstage ...

http://www.starwarscelebration.eu/

More WIP pictures coming soon to this figures forum,

-Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 07-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 AM

So ... I've had some time, after working on Darth 'Ugly' ESB for so long ... to be doing some more work on my Rancor Upgrade :

As you can see I made his toes a bit more blubber as seen on the original still need to add some more magic sculpt and details but it's looking good.

Then I finished his nails on the left claw ... so they blend in better with the added bone :

Furthermore I also created menacing fangs by adding additional material onto his jaws :

And last but not least for this round . . . yes I added his much anticipated real ear-ring :

So I guess that's it for now, I'll be working on this some more and return with pictures :

To be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 AM

Due to the fact that Magic Sculpt is really easy to work with . . . even after it's fully hard . . . I was able to scrape and file more scratches and other organic lines in the feet thus getting a little closer to the original puppet :

Phil Tippett with the original Rancor puppet :

To be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Another upgrade on this faul beast ... and I've done lots in the last couple of days :

I've added shields on both his arms ... as can be seen on the original but left out with most sculpts :

I finished his feet on all sides :

Worked on one of the thumb nails :

And articulated his tongue a little more:

So in all ... quite some progress made :

To be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 AM

Though I dread painting this large beast . . . I did find a good thread on rebelscum for tips : http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1012384/ ... now all I need to do is check if I haven't forgotten anything to be improved with magic sculpt before painting . . . here's the screensaver I made for that reason alone :

If you spot anything I may have overlooked please let me know ... I'm still considering what to use for the manacle on his right arm ... I hoped to find a used one loose on ebay from another Rancor ... but alas ... I guess I'll have to become a bit more creative again.

And it has been brought to my attention that perhaps I should add 2 more layers to the shoulder plating ... however towards the back there's another second plating on both shoulders already :

... that said I'll see if I can alter it slightly, however the issue is there's an enormous ball-joint on the arm going into the body, therefore Hasbro choose to make those shoulder blades quite smaller ... and the arms have a swivel motion right under those plates so I can't add anymore magic sculpt without loosing that movement ... it still has to remain a 'toy' Rancor not a static statue in just 1 pose ... perhaps 1 more small layer is sufficient?

Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:25 AM

As was pointed out to me by member portland182 on therpf ... I did decide to alter the shoulder plates on both arms slightly :

While I was doing this and checking my research pictures . . . I noticed something very odd :

If you look closely at above picture . . . you'll see that between the arm and the body there's an extra piece of skin, this alas I can not and do not want to replicate, without compromising the movement of the shoulder joint. Then I noticed another thing even more peculiar when returning to my Rancor ... the breasts, or upper pecs so you will, were hanging significantly lower than what you see in this next research picture ... the neck ending directly onto the pecs :

So this I had to alter ... hence also enlarging his round belly into a more muscled belly without adding refined abs ... for it's still a beast :

Finally I returned back to some of the Rancor's teeth and altered them slightly to what I had seen on screen and worked a bit around the eyes :

And here's a last shot of the Rancor's upgrades as of today :

Now I have to see if I can get some clear shots of his backplating and decide whether or not it needs some touching up then I'll add some additional warts and bumps wherever I see fit, or do notice them on the pictures in my Rancor file, . . . . so I'll leave you with this final movie-frame to enjoy :

... and ask you this question : should I give this beast a belly button, some nipples and slight hint of his gender ... somewhere between his legs? Or has it been confirmed already that this particular Rancor was female, in which case a breast enlargement seems to be appropriate ... and whether this species is breeding and hatching from eggs, instead of being a warmblooded mammal?

To be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited by Sym-Cha; 09-22-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:22 AM

I've by-passed the issues with Photobucket by getting an add-on fix for my firefox browser also available for chrome ... and by editing my posts and adding : ~original between jpg and [IMG] in the Pb Code. At least all my pictures should be available again to enjoy my work in progress ... Rancor has been waiting patiently ... I shall resume my work sooner rather than later.

Cham