Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Modifying the Lunar Models Excelsior

I just hope they print correctly. A few of the little details, like the tubular structure in the middle between the two cones are pretty small, right at the limit of Shapeways' reliable printing resolution. If they don't, I'll just thicken those areas although I fear that might hurt the fidelity of the overall part.

Bob
Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 AM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice

Small update while waiting for the 3D Dorsal Torpedo Launchers to show up.

Wrapped up the final stages for the master of the lower half of the Primary Hull. Added the aft bottom plate the saucer's superstructure under the impulse engines will glue down to.

There is a raised paneling detail that covers this section and surrounds the dorsal adapter to the saucer outside the radius of the ring trench. Here the paper template is in place.

The thick plate detail is in place, but further refinement to the part is still needed.

Once the 3D printed dorsal canons arrive, I can finish up assembly of the entire dorsal section and do the final sanding to shape.

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 08-24-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice

The Dorsal stack is finished then sanded to its final shape.

The 3D printed Torp Launchers are finalized and given a light primer coat with some light dry brushing to pop the detail.

The Nacelle grills are next!

Tracy
Old 09-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Old 09-22-2017, 11:47 PM

Making the Nacelle grills.

One big slice of .7mm sheet styrene. Each nacelle has 17 plates (8 Large, 7 smaller spacers) for a total of 34 plates to hand cut.

Strips were cut for ease of handling each plate.

Holes were drilled through all the plates to accommodate an assembly jig to ensure alignment.

Plates are stacked to test alignment and to allow sanding to their final shape.

Once they are sanded to shape, the plates that don't cut the mustard are designated to be trimmed down as spacer plates.

Once the spacer plates are all trimmed, they go back on the jig to be sanded down to "their" final shape.

Once the spacers are finalized, everything goes back on the port and starboard jigs to test shape and alignment.

To save some weight, I desided to "core out" the plates by removing material down their longitudinal axis. I did this by drilling holes just inside the end jig dowels then cutting away at the edges of the holes.

Once all the plates were cored, all the plates were glued together on their respective jigs. Once the glue set up a bit, they were removed from the jigs and placed on a flat surface (my drafting table) with a piece of wood and several clamps to ensure a flat assembly ensuring no waves in the grill.

It took 85 individual plates to reproduce this interesting characteristic of the Excelsior Class Starship.

Now back to modifying other parts of the kit for better accuracy and detail...

To Be Cont....

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 09-25-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Fantastic.
Building the jig shows a method to your madness!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 PM

I had to edit the text. Auto Text screwed up a lot of the descriptions I wrote making me look like a 3rd grader.

It's all good now.

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 09-25-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

Looking awesome!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:26 PM

If you haven't seen this before, I do have a history with the Lunar Models Excelsior.

This was the "out of the box" build I did back in late 91/92. I had no idea how badly inaccurate this model was back then.

Next, on THIS project, I'll be moving on to the nacelle struts.

Tracy