Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-11-2019, 04:55 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future
Default BSG Cobra/King Cobra variant

Greetings All,

This is my first purely digital model. There will be some traditional modeling for some smaller details, and I plan on using one of Tennacontrols lighting systems. I am using Fusion360. There is so much to know about using the program, its almost mind-boggling, never ending, a fun learning process though. I will be creating a page on my website eventually.

My inspiration for this model is Brain Larson's 'BSG Revised, Viper concept 02' and the various versions other digital artists have done with the design. My take on his design I'm calling the Cobra, with a Wild-Weasel version the King Cobra. The King Cobra has an extra ventral gun pod and an electronics package on a wing mount.
Attached are Brian's original design and my somewhat less graceful version.

I decided to have the tail grown by Shapeways as an experiment. No image, but it turned out very nice, using their detailed material. I wanted to grow the two hull sections through them as well, but they are expensive. No need to brake the bank on a personal project. I'm thinking of asking someone with a Formlabs machine to grow a part for me for a material/dimensional test. I searched several 3D printing companies and went with Sculpteo. I chose their Multijet Fusion, PA12 (Grey) because of its 'plastic' properties. It has a more coarse texture than what I want, but this is a trial at this stage.

The parts fit perfectly, as designed. What I have found is, priming the part before sanding helps fill the surface, then start with the red-lead filler.
This will not be a fast-paced build. so I apologize in advance! Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSGR_Viper_18.jpg (57.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg BSGR_Viper_20.jpg (44.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BSGR_Viper_19.jpg (53.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg BSGR_Viper_21.jpg (55.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Cobra 3:4 .jpg (76.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Cobra Port side.jpg (69.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Cobra engines .jpg (105.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Cobra bow .jpg (71.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0858.JPG (121.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.JPG (112.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0862.JPG (86.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by srspicer; 05-11-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:15 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: BSG Cobra/King Cobra variant

Can't see the images. It keep sending me to the log-in screen... And I'm already logged in!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 05-11-2019, 04:43 PM

OKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really niceOKCmike is just really nice

Same here, not gettin' nothin' but log in screen also.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:51 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Don't know what's up, they are attached in the body of the thread. Guess I'll make a page on my site. Thanks for looking!
Old 05-11-2019, 07:40 PM

Change the images, hope it helps.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 AM

Richard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura aboutRichard Baker has a spectacular aura about

The images are appearing fine with me right now!
I really like this design- IMO the only drawback is that it has almost no forward visibility. I know that most craft are flying with electronics to navigate so that should not be a problem
Old 05-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Nice working pulling that shape out into three dimensions. Looking beastly.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 AM

Thanks Tiberius!

Yes, low visibility! Just enough to make a non-instrument landing.

In my mind, the Cobra/King Cobra is a heavy attack platform and would operate with fighter support.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Oh, I dig that design A LOT. Very tough looking! I’ve looked at Fusion 360 before as a better modeling tool than the freebie stuff I’ve been playing with. From what I’ve seen you do with this, I’m greatly encouraged and inspired!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM

fluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to beholdfluke is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: BSG Cobra/King Cobra variant

Very interesting indeed! Looks like its coming along nicely.