Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Switching to acrylics - HEEEEELP!!!!

The only non acrylic things i use in my finishing are Mr surfacer (from jar) and oils for washes. Everything else is an acrylic based medium. Neb about hit all the basics right in the head as far as a detail wash and little things to make it pop. But just like an enamel never do a wash over a matt finish unless you intentionally want to stain the color in that area.

Last edited by HWR MKII; 01-07-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWR MKII View Post
The only non acrylic things i use in my finishing are Mr surfacer (from jar) and oils for washes. Everything else is an acrylic based medium.
Me too.... love the surfacer...

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

Surfacer has made so many things so much easier. Especially since i build in smaller scales and putty can be more overkill.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

BTW Dave----when I mentioned Gloss coating....use anything you want Acryl-wise. I use MM Acryl gloss. I don't use Future.

I hate that shit.

Ooooooooo......I know...that's an awful thing to say.

It works for a whole buttload of people, and that's fine. I find it way too finicky and inconsistent for my tastes.

Whatever you're comfortable with......

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
BTW Dave----when I mentioned Gloss coating....use anything you want Acryl-wise. I use MM Acryl gloss. I don't use Future.

I hate that shit.

Ooooooooo......I know...that's an awful thing to say.

It works for a whole buttload of people, and that's fine. I find it way too finicky and inconsistent for my tastes.

Whatever you're comfortable with......
That's funny because I just bought my first bottle of Future to try out.

I normally use MM Acryl as well. When I was switching to acrylics I read as much as I could on the different paint brands to decide what I would want to gain experience with and they knocked the MM clearcoats pretty badly. Most of it was that they spray on milky and tend to leave milky residue but I've never had that issue....I love the way they spray.

Oh well....always trying to learn something new I suppose.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
My ass is itchy...

At least once a month I read a build thread about Future gone wrong. Matter-o-fact, the SR-71 build on SSM that's going on right now----a beautiful build with an amazing paint job (that's not black ) . Guess what happened after the Future was applied and a setting solution was used to help with decaling...

What usually happens----staining, fogging, yada yada yada

Then the usual input begins----you need to let it cure longer, don't use this setting solution, use this one, you need to spray it on at 12psi, you need to spray it at 18psi. If your Future is over 57 days old, it's no good---throw it out. You have to wait until the relative humidity is 46.27%.......

It's my own personal entertainment....

I didn't use a drop of Future on my X15----I used MM Acryl Gloss. Waited about 36 hours and decaled the thing. Lotsa Micro-Sol on the upper aft Air Force decals ----nary a problem.

One thing Future works good for (for me)---I recently needed to apply a really shiny finish to a large figurine. I used a 4/0 brush and applied 6 coats over 3 days. Lots of nooks and crannies. Came out beautiful.

Course, it won't be getting decaled either.

Again---just my own observations.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

I more or less want to try it to see if it works for me. I don't leave anything I build in gloss; I always leave things in flat. So for me it's going to simply either a layer to protect or for decals.

I'm considering a test with brushed on future too.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
I more or less want to try it to see if it works for me. I don't leave anything I build in gloss; I always leave things in flat. So for me it's going to simply either a layer to protect or for decals.

I'm considering a test with brushed on future too.
Oh yeah----absolutely try it! You might love it-----that's one thing I've learned from everybody here over the years is try anything. I'm just relating my sad experiences with the stuff.

I just try to temper what I read with a little common sense----like when you add a vinegar-type fluid to uncured Acrylic there's a fair possiblity you might have issues.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Okay George, I went and picked up some MM Acryl Gloss.

Let's say I lay down a good acrylic base coat - then I need to go with a gloss coat.
  • How much of a coat is needed? Should I go for an actual glossy coat, or just enough to cover the paint completely?
  • Do you thin the gloss before shooting?
I also got some Micro Sol - because YOU use it. I've been using Solvaset for decades - anything I need to know about Micro Sol?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:21 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Okay George, I went and picked up some MM Acryl Gloss.

Let's say I lay down a good acrylic base coat - then I need to go with a gloss coat.
  • How much of a coat is needed? Should I go for an actual glossy coat, or just enough to cover the paint completely?
  • Do you thin the gloss before shooting?
I also got some Micro Sol - because YOU use it. I've been using Solvaset for decades - anything I need to know about Micro Sol?
If you're gonna decal, treat it like any MM color coat and gradually build until it's glossy. I mix 2 parts MM to 1 part MM thinner. Me personally, I let it sit for two days (I don't like to push my luck). I spray at 15 to 18psi----18psi if it's a larger area. After 2 days, I'll take my model out of the work area to another room and smell it. If I can still smell the paint, I don't fuck with it. Usually I'll take mine out of the basement (about 66f), and drag it upstairs to sit for a day.(about 72f)

I've never used Solvaset only because everybody tells me it's good for thick, hardcore decals that don't behave, and that makes me nervous.

Contrary to the directions, I've never pre-coated a surface with Micro-sol---I've always used lots of water. Much as needed to get it in situ, and then carefully remove the excess. Then I'll take a small squared off soft brush to the decal with Micro Sol, carefull covering the surface completely. I'll move on to other decals while keeping an eye on each one. As they settle down, you'll be able to tell if it needs more. A good example was the stars and bars on the wings of my X15----after the first coat, the were teeny tiny ridges along the decal borders in places. I took my brush, dipped it in Micro Sol, wrung out the excess almost like I was dry-brushing, and touched up the borders. Twice. Minimum excess on painted surfaces----hopefully minimum problems.

Oh---shake up the Micro-Sol pretty good in case it's an old bottle.

So anyhow----that's why it takes me so long to build a model.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Shit got real.

Dont use lifecolor paints unless you absolutely have to. They jam an airbrush quicker than a M-16 firing dirty ammo. They are OK by brush and level out pretty well. They remind me of the thick early formula Polly S paints.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Dont use lifecolor paints unless you absolutely have to. They jam an airbrush quicker than a M-16 firing dirty ammo. They are OK by brush and level out pretty well. They remind me of the thick early formula Polly S paints.
What he said!

One thing about the old Polly S paints----I used to be able to get really good results back in the day on flat surfaces using a good flat brush. The first time I tried Lifecolor in my airbrush was the last time...

Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Shit got real.

Sadly Lifecolor do the best MERDC set out there and you get them all in one box so my hands were tied. But i will never be using them again except for paint chips to match other colors to in order to do MERDC camo in the future.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Good thing I checked this post out...I was going to try the Lifecolor paints for warships

NOT NOW!! Thanks for the heads up HWR and Neb
Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Strange...FSM (there's the problem right there) loved them.

I guess they spin things, too. Who'd'a thunk it?

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.