Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM

ABU625 has disabled reputation
Default BSG Colonial Berzerk from Fantastic Plastic

Hot on the heels of the Colonial Defender comes the Colonial Berzerk. In the same 1:3700 scale as our Big Pegasus, Battlestar Valkyrie and Colonial Defender kits, the Bezerk features more than 30 highly detailed, pressure-cast pieces as well as decals by JBOT. The finished kit is 8 inches stem-to-stern. And it features a "snap-tite" landing bay floor so you can reveal the detailed interior!

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/Col...atalogPage.htm

A small but powerful ship literally bristling with weapons, the Berzerk was originally a "fan" design until it became canon in last years "RAZOR" TV movie. It was the ship docked next to the Pegasus during the infamous Cylon attack on the Scorpion Shipyards above Caprica. (Note: Our kit is based on the original fan dimensions, not the RAZOR version, which was a LOT bigger. Zoic Studios did the same trick with the Valkyrie.)

Our kit is just $75, plus shipping. The pattern is once again by Alfred Wong and casting is by BLAP! Models.

Make the Berzerk part of your growing Colonial Fleet! Get one before they all get blowed up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColonialDefenderBoxArt-500.jpg (139.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Berzerk-WhatYouGet.jpg (131.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Berzerk-Main.jpg (46.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Berzerk-RearAngle.jpg (38.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Berzerk-UndersideDetail.jpg (49.4 KB, 60 views)

- Allen B. Ury
Fantastic Plastic Models
www.fantastic-plastic.com
Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Re: BSG Colonial Berzerk from Fantastic Plastic

Got mine in the mail yesterday - ordered it on Wednesday and got it Saturday. This is one very detailed model, so I completely understand the price and don't at all mind the cost versus size of the model. I've got the major sub-assemblies done and am looking for a color to paint her. I'm thinking of doing my up as Allen did his buildup in a steel or aluminum color, followed up with a series of washes.

My only complaint is that three of the pieces were slighlty warped. I fixed it as best I could w/the hot/cold water thing and it looks pretty darned good. Castings on this one are cleaner than on the Defender, overall. But to be fair the Defender has that slightly raised piping along the englines and a bit more "funky" recessed surface detail that isn't as prevalent as on the Berzerk, which has all of it's piping as separate pieces/parts. And with the recessed detail parts on the Berzerk, it's impressively clean and free of "casting clutter" where parts of the mold might have torn off on previous castings. Neither model had any major flash, mold lines - such as they have been - are nearly invisible and not a lot of cleanup has been required on the Berzerk, regardless.

I prolly won't buy a second one of these as I still plan to for the Defender, but that has nothing to do w/the kit, it's price or casting. Just that it's not one of those designs that really "grabbed" me like the Defender.

The only caveat I can suggest is for folks to make sure that they clean the kit well. I cleaned both the Defender and Berzerk in teh same fashion, but for some reason the primer didn't want to adhere as well to the Berzerk until I did a second wash, this time using a bit of bleach in the water. I've never had to do this w/a BLAP! Models casting before, so am thinking perhaps I just didn't get it as clean as I'd thought.

The copy of the Berzek I've got is really nice and I if you're remotely interested I highly recommend it.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!