Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Figures

Figures Figure WIPs

Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 PM

toonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nice
Default resistors

can anyone help me find the right level of resistor for my Ironman kit.It has 6 leds rated at 8000mcd(white)in parallel running of 2 AA batteries.The one in now is heating the battery pack up.Need to sort this out before finally assembly.
I was using one with brown/black/red/gold bands in that order.soldered to the + lead.Hope you can help(in laymans terms please)
Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Experimenter

USS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of All
Default Re: resistors

To get the resistor value I need two things

Voltage of the LEDs
current draw of the LEDs

The one you're using is currently 1000ohm (1k)

Probably a little high, will dim the LED's but shouldn't heat the batteries unless you connected the LEDs backwards - but then then they wouldn't light up

HMMMM

My Blog

RI - Where threads go to get fucked

Last edited by USS Atlantis; 10-24-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 PM

feek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to behold

The Wiz will tell you everything you need to know.

Look here:
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Last edited by feek61; 10-25-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM

nickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud ofnickn has much to be proud of

Well, most LED's use about 3.2 volts..depends though.. Current draw is about 25ma..
so for a Single LED/Resistor,

12volt - 3.2volt = 8.8 / .025A (25ma) = ~350 Ohms (330)
9 volt - 3.2 = 5.8 / .025 A = ~232Ohms (220)

At anyrate, the wizard thing does all the math for you.. Forward Voltage is the 3.2 mentioned.. Diode foward current is the 25ma.. Wattage you want to pay attention too..Putting a 1/4 watt resistor where a 1 watt resistor should go results in a very very hot resistor.. which could easily burn up or catch fire.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 PM

toonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nicetoonarmy is just really nice

Took the leds left over back to Maplins(our radio shack) and was told that the bag of 6 LEds i bought was a "lucky bag".All mixed voltage despite being all 8000mcd.There is no mention on the packet and they all look identical.How dumb is that.
I'm just going to install a push to close switch.so the lights only come on for a few seconds.
Thanks for the info guys.I'll know better next time