Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 10-08-2019, 05:52 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/48 Do-335 'Arrow'

RLM 71, that's it. But before that is has to be masked. I used a mix of Tamiya tape and wax paper. Next time, I'll use more wax paper for the bottom too. Handy stuff wax paper.

Then I started to paint. Now Hataka has some nice color, but it always seems to glogg up in my ab, so I'm always having to clear the nozzle or adjust the adjuster to get it to flow, and that's after thinning. Think I'll be trying a nother brand before the next Luftwaffe fighter. Then my ab started spitting condensation...

Now I know it does this after using it long enough. My three moisture traps are just enough for the most part, but sometimes there's no way around it. So, I put it up for the day, letting everything dry out.

Use can see from the port wing that I resprayed the shading before the RLM71 just to keep the shading from being too overwhelmed by the colors.

Got back to it the next day though and finished off the dark green.

Not too clear in the pic is the modulation in the paint, the preshade still showing through, at least just enough. I did have to rehit the wing leading edge because it was a little too wavy, but she's where I'm liking her. Right now a gloss coat is drying over the whole thing in prep for the decals.

And while I'm doing that I'm also doing the gear doors with another light blue and the wheels. Those are weighted resin, but they have some pin holes to fill and then the exhausts - which I have to find...

I had them. I have a pic of them but I'm going to need more than that. Actually bought another set just in case I couldn't find the other ones, but they are getting hard to find and I had to go though ebay. It's saying the first of next month for delivery, so I'm hoping it's a lot sooner than that. Still have the kit ones if I have to dummy them in for the moment. We'll see what happens.

That's all for now. Model on!

Thom

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 10-14-2019, 01:07 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/48 Do-335 'Arrow'

Back for some fun with decals!

Started with the bottom crosses, letters and small little wing warning decals.

Then switched to the top, where I had a little more fun with top side crosses and being too cheeky for my own good. The top crosses are a lot of 'open' space inside the white angled stripes, so fearing silvering and just having that be seen as decal, I thought I would cut them into fours and attach them individually.
I thought it went alright at first, had the spacing in between pretty good, but the lengths of the white angled stripes were off somehow. Made the resulting crosses look wonky, so off they came!
Luckily I have another kit in the stash and so I stole its crosses and just put them down straight, and I saw immediately that my concerns from earlier were unfounded. They went down great and only had the slight edges of the decals showing. No big deal. But, I think I put the Micro Sol on too soon and though they wrinkled as they were supposed to before settling out they also gained little 'folds...' I don't now how that happened, but I couldn't smooth them without tearing them. So off they came!
Okay, so I have several Luftwaffe fighters to steel those crosses from. Sticking with Tamiya, I took some from an FW-190 kit, but these were matte and not glossy decals. Sure enough, they looked like silvered decals sitting right on the glossy surface. In fact one did silver all over.

So off they came!!

Hobby Boss now, the decals in their FW-190V18 kit were nice and glossy, and so with both eyes closed tight, they were put on. And huzzah and hurray! The decal film on those just disappeared on the wings, so I was quite happy!

With those fixed. I went full-bore with all the rest. The Tamiya decals look and work really well, when one isn't being too 'crafty.'

Now while the new gloss coat over the decals is drying, I sprayed the props with rattle can Tamiya Smoke to darken their dark green a little further. Help them stand out from the same shade as the dark green on the fuse.

And then to the resin wheels. I'd already painted them, but they were too full of pin holes, so they have a covering of Perfect Plastic Putty drying on them.

Once dry, I'll sand on the excess and repaint the, I think it was, nato black.

Getting closer to the finish! Model on!

Thom

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/

Last edited by Tiberious; 10-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.