Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Christine

Taking a break from the usual sci-fi/trek oriented subjects to build this:

Picked her up at my local Michaels for half off with one of their coupons. She's been sitting up on the shelf scaring the crap out of the other models for awhile now so I thought it was time to show her some love...

More box art:

You get several bags of parts molded in red, chrome, and clear. Tires are molded in vinyl and inserts are included for white sidewalls. A decal sheet is included with decals for the license plates and several different iterations of the name "Christine" for making your own customized version of this iconic, demonic vehicle:

First off, I removed the red molded parts from their bags and soaked them in a bath of liquid dishwashing soap and warm water to rid them of any residual mold release:

I know... exciting.

More to come...

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Christine

After drying the parts off it was time for priming...

I used Testors enamel grey primer. I plan to paint this beautiful beastie using enamels as opposed to the lacquers I've been using a lot of lately. For one thing, the cost of Tamiya lacquer spray cans has been eating up my modelling budget like crazy so anytime I can get away with using smaller Testors or Model Master paint bottles and the airbrush the better. It will be a good way for me to try out my new Neo for Iwata airbrush too:

Front bench seat. There is some nice raised detailing:

While the primer dries I whipped out the instructions. Steps 1A-1C deal with engine assembly:

Hmmmmm.... I think I'll add some wiring to the spark plugs, solenoid, etc. If anybody has any pics of their models with a similar type of engine with wiring added please feel free to share the photos with me. I'm not as familiar with car engines (at least in models) so I could use whatever help or advice you guys can provide.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

I got one of these, so I'm watchin'!

Rob.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
I got one of these, so I'm watchin'!

Rob.
Finally! Some feedback! I was beginning to wonder. Thanks for that Eagle-1!

Photos from awhile back. I''m worried if I go too slow Chrstine will build herself...

Here's the engine block from some days ago. I'll need to do some cosmetic surgery on the top (it's not glued on yet) to accommodate the dual air cleaners I ordered on Friday:

Lenny is bored and wishes I'd get a move on:

Stills from the movie confirmed no Belvedere lettering on the rear fins (or Fury for that matter) so I sanded them off. I didn't realize this until I'd primed the car body of course:

After spraying with Testors grey primer I masked off the areas that would be painted white-the side trim and the roof:

This included the underside of the roof too:

The car got an airbrushing with Testors gloss black:

Picked up some of this at my local hobby store for the window and side trim:

I've never done foil on a car model so this will be interesting. Got some videos I need to watch about the technique but it looks pretty straightforward I think. Luckily I have plenty of new, sharp #11 blades and both flat and round toothpicks.

I decided to paint most of the chrome parts as the chrome plating on the kit parts is heavy and just doesn't look realistic to me. The only parts I left alone were the chrome hubcaps. Here are the rest of the chrome bits after an overnight soak in Purple Power:

I did some work on the dashboard. In the movie the radio dial, speedometer and other gauges on the dash glow green when Christine is in demon mode. Toward that end I did some drilling and filing of the kit parts to allow for lighting...

Here's the tiny radio faceplate with a slot opened up:

Same thing for the speedometer and other gauges:

Corresponding holes were opened in the dashboard itself:

Transparent green Evergreen styrene sheet was trimmed to fit between the instrument panels and the dashboard plastic:

The back of the dash was covered with adhesive backed aluminum foil to reflect light and block leaks:

A single warm white LED was mounted to a panel of thin styrene sheet which was then glued to the back of the dashboard:

Last edited by Trekriffic; 08-31-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
One-trek Mind

Got my first taste of working with bare metal foil on the chrome ashtray on the back of the front seat:

I also foiled the interior door trim, window cranks, and door handles:

The rear trunk lid was cut out to allow for battery access:

A recess was carved out for mounting a rare earth magnet:

A metal battery contact was epoxied to the lower lip of the trunk lid. The rare earth magnet grabs it tight enough to hold the lid shut:

The tail lights were masked off using adhesive backed aluminum mylar prior to painting them silver. A red lighthouse style LED will glow bright enough to show thru the red plastic:

This may not be an issue but I was concerned that the weight of the 9V battery in the trunk might cause the car to tip backwards so I opened the top of the motor and filled it with split shot to provide a counterbalance:

The motor is noticeably heavier now than before adding the lead weights to it.

This was meant to be a curbside model since the instructions tell you to glue the wheel hubs to the axle and front spindles but I wanted the wheels to turn. To do this I used a small nail and glued two washers to it. Then I cut the nail off short enough to glue into holes drilled into the rear axle and front spindles:

The front wheels should even turn when I'm done:

I'm going to detail the engine with wiring and hoses starting with the sparkplug wires. First thing I did was drill holes into the top of the distributor cap using my pinvise with a very small bit:

Here you can see me starting to attach the sparkplug wires; you can also see the dual air cleaners I bought from Hobbylinc. Nice that they include a sheet of paper "filters" to wrap around the rim of the air cleaners. I'll need to make a second carburetor from scratch too:

My scratch made carburetor. Close enough for government work as my dad used to say:

Sparkplug wiring almost done:

I even made a small coil from a repurposed kit part. It's hidden behind the distributor in this photo but it connects with a "cable" to the center of the distributor cap just like a real one would. I used 28 AWG soild black wire for the cables:

All sparkplugs are wired now. Man, you talk about tedious work:

Here's a better view of that coil I made:

I needed to mount a slide switch into the trunk for the battery and lights so here it is:

The cab interior turned out pretty well. I brushed Future onto the seats around the fabric panels to make them glossy. The fabric panels themselves were brushed with flat lacquer while the carpeting was sprayed with Dullcote prior to assembling the cab:

One last look at the air cleaners and the paper "filters" to wrap around them. I think these will really add to the realism of the engine:

Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM
One-trek Mind

I wanted to give the tires a streetworn appearance so I gave the treads a light going over with a sanding stick:

You can see the difference between the unsanded tire on the left and the one on the right that I just finished "wearing":

I learned this trick some years ago from another modeler on one of these forums and tried it out on my 1/24 scale Batmobiles. I liked the look.

Looking at photos online of V8 dual carb motors has given me a lot of good information into what types of wires and hoses need to be added to make this engine look more realistic. One item I added yesterday was the fuel line assembly that attaches to the sides of the carburetors. It might not look like much but I must have spent over an hour making it out of the 28 AWG black wire and a tiny bit of Evergreen plastic to make the inline fuel filter (at least I'm assuming it's a filter). The hard part is having to do everything with tweezers because of the tiny size of things at this scale and then having the wires want to stick to the tweezers rather than what I wanted them to stick to thanks to the FRICKING PLASTIC SURGERY GLUE! Finally, I had the three segments of wire glued together and into the tiny holes I'd drilled into the carbs. Then I brushed the T connector and fuel filter with silver enamel and was done with it:

This diagram someone hand drew and posted on the internet will come in handy when I get around to finishing wiring up the ignition system:

Finally, yesterday, I gave the body its first coat of Model Master Italian Red using my old Paasche VL airbrush. Then this morning I gave her a quick wetsanding with sanding films to remove any small imperfections and smooth out any drips of which there was only a very minor one along one of the front fender panels. After that I gave her a final wet coat for a very smooth blemish free finish. My Christine must look pristine or I risk incurring her wrath and getting run over:

Once the red paint cures I'll remove the masks from the roof (outside and inside) and side trim panels and remask the red areas before airbrushing with gloss white. Then will come more work with BMF which, I've come to learn from reading other members build posts on HobbyTalk, is car modeller's jargon for Bare Metal Foil. This build has reminded me how much enjoyment there is to be had building car models, something I did a lot of as a kid when I built all the Tom Daniels cars like the Dragon Wagon, Rommel's Rod, Paddy Wagon, Tarantula, Tijuana Taxi, etc.

Got the roof (inside and outside) and side trim airbrushed this morning. Once the paint has cured for a few more days I'll remove all the masking and buff with fine polishing pads before polishing with Novus polish...

Old 09-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Trek,

With the work I'm seeing here, my feedback should be the LEAST of your worries! It is looking great!

Rob.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:02 PM
One-trek Mind

Weekend work...

Got my Micromesh cloths and set to work wet sanding:

Polished up the roof with Novus 2 and 1 and started laying some BMF:

I took a cue from one of the videos I watched on how to apply BMF and did the foil for the rear window rim in sections to avoid waste:

Now we're talkin! Not bad for a foil novice IIDSSM:

Took two attempts to get the foil on the air vents mated up with the edge of the windshield trim but when I was done I was really happy with how this bit turned out:

Before I finish the side trim I'll install the rear taillights and LED's.

So, to use a term I have come to despise, "at the end of the day" there's no denying this bare metal foil is the way to go if you want to take your model to the next level of realism.

Catch you guys later and thanks for any comments!

Old 12-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Large Member

DonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really nice

Ahhhh, where's the rest? Did this excellent build get finished?

Visit My Gallery: www.eclectric-fx.com
Old 01-02-2016, 12:24 PM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
Ahhhh, where's the rest? Did this excellent build get finished?
Well since you were good enough to ask...

I wired up the tail lights in series with two red "lighthouse" style LEDs. The solder joints were brushed with a goodly amount of liquid electrical tape. After that dried, everything got a going over with black Tuilp fabric paint for light blocking::

Light test. The LEDs were bright enough to shine right thru the red kit plastic:

After wet sanding with the Micromesh sanding cloths the body was coated with a lacquer gloss clearcoat then waxed and buffed with Novus polish for a high shine:

After determining that the round air cleaners I bought online were the wrong shape I decided to make my own to match the ones seen in this photo whch match what we saw in the movie:

First I used styrene scissors to trim four oval pieces of Evergreen sheet then I stacked two together to make each air filter:

After shaping with files and sanding sticks I had these. The funny shaped doohickies in the center were a pain to cut out but they looked OK when I was done:

After a little more shaping and cleanup I primed them with Tamiya grey Fine Surface Primer:

I wish I'd taken a pic of them after spraying with Alclad Chrome but I didn't. They are really shiny though.

After gluing in the windows with 5-Minute Epoxy followed by Testors Clear Parts Cement I slid the cabin into the body and glued it in with more 5-Minute Epoxy. Then I filled any gaps with Tamiya Black Epoxy Putty:

Next step is attaching all the wires to the switch and battery in the trunk. Bit of a rat's nest but it will soon be sorted out:

The trunk lid was installed and fit well, flipping the car over showed no issues with the lid coming off. I activated the slide switch from underneath the car and***Eureka!***the taillights lit up with a nice red glow:

Headlights light up too!

Speedometer and radio dial have a nice green glow!

There is a small amount of light leak under the front of the windshield from the dashboard LED. Unfortunately, with the passenger compartment securely glued in and puttied. there's no way for me to light block it so, at this point, I'll just have to live with it.
It might even make the car look a little spookier bahhahhhahahahaha!

Next up is installing the chassis and finishing up the engine wiring and hoses.

I thinned some black Testors enamel to make a wash and brushed it into the spaces between the front grills. After a few minutes to let to dry a little I wiped it off with a cotton swab. The grills had been sprayed with Tamiya Bare Metal Silver lacquer so the enamel wiped off easily without disturbing the lacquer paint:

Got the chassis installed. It took some doing to get the back end of the frame to stay down as the frame had a slight bow in it. I used Plastic Surgery and that did the trick. Just for added insurance I drilled some small holes in a couple of the mounting brackets on either side of the frame and screwed in some little brass hex head screws to tighten the frame down good and tight to the body:

Awriiiight! Now we're cookin' with gasoline! All the wheels spin and the front wheels turn left and right:

Need to do some touchup with a brush to the gloss black enamel that I touched up previously with flat black. Then I'll get started attaching the rest of the hoses and wiring over the weekend:

Feeling a little frisky I installed the radiator and hoses. The silver radiator cap was made from scratch:

Air cleaners, side mirrors, and the rest of the chrome painted bits:

The Golden Commando engine is pretty much done at this point. I could probably add a few more wires if I wanted to but I'm tired and I'm getting impatient to finish this beastie...

Got the front grills on...

Have to install the bumpers, license plate in the front, side mirrors, those pointy arrow things on the top of the front fenders, and windshield wipers next. First though she gets another going over with polishing films and another application of Novus polish.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:35 PM
One-trek Mind

This build is now done! To view the finished pics go here:

http://resinilluminati.com/showthrea...600#post286600

Christine by trekriffic, on Flickr

Old 01-02-2016, 02:48 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Wow! That's outstanding, Trekriffic.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Large Member

DonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really niceDonS is just really nice

Thanks for making the effort to post all those WIP pics of this fantastic build! It was great to follow the progress.

Visit My Gallery: www.eclectric-fx.com
Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 AM

"How'd you ever get that car fixed up like that??"

Good work!

Rob.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM
One-trek Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
"How'd you ever get that car fixed up like that??"

Good work!

Rob.
She basically fixed herself dontcha know?