Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
You're very welcome. I'll try to take more pics of the progress rather than simply finished shots of each part, if that is an interest.
Yes, please. This is all very helpful to the noobs in the audience. (eg, me)

Quote:
The jury is still out on the "Stripe" decision but we've got lots of time before that option needs addressing. I like the idea but I think once we get into the painting stage I should be able to comp some photoshop mockups to see what it will look like on the model itself. My guess is it may look better as a subtle shade of the hull color. I can't wait till we get there!
I was partial to the "visual interest" that the stripes would add. I'd expect it to be the first question among audience and judges at Wonderfest: "We know the universe, but the stripes are new. Care to elaborate...?" And then you get more opportunity to evangelize your design and her role in the Trek universe...

Just my 2c.

Last edited by SCI-FI; 10-28-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Also: in the reference pics, what is #5? (It looks kinda like the old Gabe Koerner reimagining from a few years back...)

That image is a 3D render done by an artist known as Madkoifish. That is his version of a Constitution refit. Really nice stuff!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Here's a quickie Sentinel Program Development Team logo just issued from the Design Bureau. Stickers and patches are now showing up on uniforms and spacesuits all over the Yard:
On stickers, on patches... on t-shirts? Gotta imagine you could throw this on Zazzle or CafePress or Spreadshirt and make a few bucks selling t-shirts to the members of Team Sentinel... For those who can't buy a 1/350 Sentinel kit, at least you can get the t-shirt.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
On stickers, on patches... on t-shirts? Gotta imagine you could throw this on Zazzle or CafePress or Spreadshirt and make a few bucks selling t-shirts to the members of Team Sentinel... For those who can't buy a 1/350 Sentinel kit, at least you can get the t-shirt.
This could be done! I've already looked into getting a few Sentinel emblemed black t-shirts custom screen-printed but we can do Project Dev shirts too. I will keep you posted soon - I may get this rolling next week.

I redrew another sketch - which is more in-line with my original plans of a recessed rectangular channel - and added the TMP spherical sensor aft. I apologize for yesterday's bizarre idea.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

I like the blend of the TOS and movie components Bill, I say go for it!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 AM
All ahead full

Thanks Scott! We're diving in tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Humble Aspirant

Love the new "raised outer" concept.

Also, re: T-shirts: "Sentinel Dev Team" and "Sentinel Crew" would be awesome options. Ship/project name on the front, huge logo on the back. Make it a shirt with a pocket and I'm there.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis

Isurus is on a distinguished road

I concur as well. I think the raised outer would be the way to go.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 PM
All ahead full

Weekend progress on the field sensor grills began with measuring a paper template for the area to be cut out of the hull sides and repeated for both port and starboard:

The slot was re-plated with a piece of .040 and a beveled aft wall. A chunk of .080 styrene was cut into a 9/16" circle, cut in half, rounded and fitted into each corner.

Thin strips of .030 were cut and glued into place to create 5 vanes. I used the Tamiya liquid Extra Thin Cement to weld them into place.

Once the glue had set, the vanes were filed and sanded to a contoured shape:

Captain Henderson stopped by to inspect the progress;

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:32 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Captain Henderson likey!!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Weekend progress on the field sensor grills began with measuring a paper template for the area to be cut out of the hull sides and repeated for both port and starboard:[...]
Wow! Gorgeous AND informative. Thanks for the detailed explanation AND photos.
If ever there was a portion of the model to be done through 3D printing, I figured this would've been it, but noooo, we're still in fifth gear on the Scratchbuild Expressway - and I love it so.

Best-

Last edited by SCI-FI; 11-02-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Wow! Gorgeous AND informative. Thanks for the detailed explanation AND photos.
If ever there was a portion of the model to be done through 3D printing, I figured this would've been it, but noooo, we're still in fifth gear on the Scratchbuild Expressway - and I love it so.
Thanks SCI-FI!

Nope. 3D printing isn't a resource or tool to which I have access. So, we are definitely on the Olde School Expressway and in manual transmission from here to Alpha Centauri. But, in saying that I may have spoken too soon as the nacelles are undergoing a 3D render and printing process. But that's out of my hands at the moment. Hopefully I'll have some news from the engineers on that program soon.

Today's day off yielded a few more items to finish off the Secondary hull master so it can be readied for molding. The upper hangar deck flight ops bridge was fabricated from styrene. This little module looks simple enough but was a PIA that took most of the afternoon to finish. Why? No idea.

In primer:

The hangar doors will be constructed separately. I intentionally made the recesses deep because I will be opening the upper bay and lighting it.

I also went back to the deflector base and carved another inner oval. I've attached a pic showing how I've been doing this:

On a side note of plain goofiness - after all, I am a big goof - I placed a 1:350 Archer class scout on her afterdeck. This got me to thinking - and after Dave's suggestion - that these light cruisers might be able to serve as an emergency tender for these types of craft. One could imagine umbilical connections for fuel and power under panels on the decking to resupply these ships or to even give them a lift "piggyback" style not unlike the 747/space shuttle combo.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:

On a side note of plain goofiness - after all, I am a big goof - I placed a 1:350 Archer class scout on her afterdeck. This got me to thinking - and after Dave's suggestion - that these light cruisers might be able to serve as an emergency tender for these types of craft. One could imagine umbilical connections for fuel and power under panels on the decking to resupply these ships or to even give them a lift "piggyback" style not unlike the 747/space shuttle combo.

Bonnie Copeland will be very happy to know this!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Bonnie Copeland will be very happy to know this!
CDR Copeland is welcome aboard any time!

My Archer class finally has a name: the Tomahawk.

I can't wait to get a primary hull on this thing. It's starting to resemble a great white shark.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Humble Aspirant

There's so much Awesome in this post, I'm not sure how to address it all, so here goes:

1) Can you elaborate on the 3D modeling/printing process you are having done for your nacelles? I'm assuming you are farming it out to someone skilled and who may have a printer. In my limited experience, it doesn't eliminate all problems, but rather introduces a different set of problems (stair-stepped finish, for example). Any info on how that whole process works out for you would be appreciated.

2) What's the foam/material you are using for the detector base? (you may have said it prior and I've missed it...)

3) Where did you get a 1/350 Archer class? I've heard of such a beast, but never seen one. Was it delivered by unicorn?

4) Wait. "Casting" the secondary hull...? As in, 1/350 kits of the Sentinel? For the Love of God, don't leave us hanging...

5) I can understand the "tender" operation, as the tiny Archer may need help to cover distances it normally could not do (or at least, not in a timely fashion, or something), and that Starfleet would have contingency plans to support the smaller ships. Anything that could fit within the larger ship's warp bubble, without "overhang" or adding too much mass, could be transported in such a manner. (Reminds me of the Enterprise-D delivering runabouts to DS9, or something similar.)

Many thanks for the inspiration and education.
Best-