Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 11-12-2015, 07:06 AM
SPACESHIP!

Blappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of All
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

This is yet another inspiring 1/350 build!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:55 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
That looks good - the crossbeam in the saucer is inspiring. It may have solved a problem I've been having.
Crossbeams to the Rescue!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
[...]
[...]
*literally* laughed out loud at the 2001 astronauts looking at the "toppled monolith"...

Ok, Adventures in Armatures questions:
1) What type of solder are you using?
2) How do you know the armature (+solder) is strong enough to hold the resin weight of Sentinel (with enough margin of error to survive handling)?
3) Is the armature going to be cast inside the resin? Or will the resin be "hollow enough" to fit the armature inside? (This is a similar problem I'm pre-pondering for my DonS Reliant project. - The Cat recommends an internal structure for that, so I'm learning all I can...)
4) Electra? What's 2552, etc? Do you have a list for the whole class...?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
*literally* laughed out loud at the 2001 astronauts looking at the "toppled monolith"...

Ok, Adventures in Armatures questions:
1) What type of solder are you using?
2) How do you know the armature (+solder) is strong enough to hold the resin weight of Sentinel (with enough margin of error to survive handling)?
3) Is the armature going to be cast inside the resin? Or will the resin be "hollow enough" to fit the armature inside? (This is a similar problem I'm pre-pondering for my DonS Reliant project. - The Cat recommends an internal structure for that, so I'm learning all I can...)
4) Electra? What's 2552, etc? Do you have a list for the whole class...?
Thanks SCI-FI for following this thread - and so diligently! Most guys would have faded away by now

1) Solder! (Everyone asks me this) I am barely aware there are options here. Rosin core? No? Maybe? I have about 5 rolls of the stuff from various projects, mostly plumbing related. I use whatever you buy at Lowes, the Lead Free kind.

2) This frame is very rigid since I doubled the profile. The 537 ships used a single profile "keel" of 1/4 square tube. This structure is more than adequate to support the weight of the model and that's not even an issue as the hull pieces themselves form a unibody when finished. The model itself will not weigh more than a few pounds since it will be hollow. The resin is very lightweight. The goal of the frame is mainly to act as a guide in aligning the components as it goes together. As a complete scratch build, the engineering and part assembly is made up as we go. Having a keel to build up from keeps everything square and to the 'plans' as well as a convenient mounting column for construction and display. The biggest advantage of an internal framework is the alignment and support of the warp pylons and nacelles. On most Trek starships, this feature is a tenuous sagging issue and especially on a model this large.

My plan is to have detachable warp drives (for transportation). These will have round brass telescoping tubes with corresponding mates in the pylons for alignment as well as magnets to hold them. The wiring to the inner warp electronics will use an RC-type quick disconnect plug.

3) The armature will not be cast inside the hull. The outer hull pieces will all be thin skinned and basically 'hung' to the framework through the use of styrene braces.

4) You have such eagle eyes! (same with the bench scans) Yes, there is a ship listing of the Sentinel Class. I was trying out the Electra name on the hull when I produced the frame layout. Here's the current listing:

Sentinel Class:
NCC-2550 Sentinel
NCC-2551 Defender
NCC-2552 Guardian
NCC-2553 Ionian
NCC-2554 Adriatic
NCC-2555 Swift
NCC-2556 Europa
NCC-2557 Proteus
NCC-2558 Pegasus
NCC-2559 Vigilant
NCC-2560 Vanguard
NCC-2561 Electra

There probably isn't a detail I have not thought of about my ship. Hell, I could tell you what color the pillow cases are on the port side crew cabins on E deck. It's been an obsession for the last few months. I apologize in advance.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-12-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Your obsession is our drug!!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/

Last edited by Tiberious; 11-12-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

What is the purpose of the notch in the square tube that's part of the base? Seems like a weak spot.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
What is the purpose of the notch in the square tube that's part of the base? Seems like a weak spot.
That indeed is a very weak spot. That 1/4" square tube section at the base was originally part of the frame before it fell apart from too much heat. I then realized the notched recesses would not allow a telescoping rod from the stand to pass through it so it got tossed into the scrap pile. For the purpose of holding the frame in the base for this pic, I dragged it back out. Rest assured it's only temporary.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Thanks SCI-FI for following this thread - and so diligently! Most guys would have faded away by now
[...]

In truth, I don't bring much to this forum in the way of modeling skills (I used to think I was a good modeler... and then I came here ), so I figure I'll engage the professors with every question I can. I benefit, the audience benefits, and the professors get to look awesomer. (Is that a word? Sure, why not?) Someday, my 1/350 Belknap will benefit.
My contribution is "active class participation."

Last edited by SCI-FI; 11-13-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
[...]There probably isn't a detail I have not thought of about my ship. Hell, I could tell you what color the pillow cases are on the port side crew cabins on E deck. It's been an obsession for the last few months. I apologize in advance.
What's Captain Henderson's yeoman's cabin number?

(Very slowly clinches up, wondering if anyone will catch the reference...)
Old 11-13-2015, 06:14 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
What's Captain Henderson's yeoman's cabin number?

(Very slowly clinches up, wondering if anyone will catch the reference...)
I will patiently wait to see if anyone else could hazard a guess.

Aloha!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:54 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis

Isurus is on a distinguished road

My money is on 69?
Old 11-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Humble Aspirant

Since the Admiral seems to get the joke, I'll let him deliver the punchline.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:04 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Since the Admiral seems to get the joke, I'll let him deliver the punchline.
We'll let someone else give it a shot if they're interested.

Not a lot of progress this weekend. The primary received angled spacers cut on a hobby miter box at 60. These were cut from rectangular styrene tubing since they were the correct height:

Detail plates cut from .020 styrene were added to the inner recess as well:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
[...] Detail plates cut from .020 styrene were added to the inner recess as well:
The detail plates and pattern remind me of the top the Excelsior.
Deliberate homage? Or just a figment of my imagination?

I love the rectangular bracing for the saucer rim, thanks for documenting this process.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:05 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
The detail plates and pattern remind me of the top the Excelsior.
Deliberate homage? Or just a figment of my imagination?

I love the rectangular bracing for the saucer rim, thanks for documenting this process.

I think it's a happy accident. I wasn't even thinking about Excelsior when I did this although it makes perfect sense now that some of these details can be hinted at in an earlier era vessel. Actually, when looking for inspiration at detailing, I keep turning to the art direction of 2001 which is a major guideline for me on this build - mixing TOS, TMP and 2001 ASO. Good catch!

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-16-2015 at 03:05 PM.