Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 11-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Fun with a crude 3D mock up of the Sentinel:

http://vid791.photobucket.com/albums...psh5mb8tie.mp4
This deserves a full-CGI, TOS-quality render, complete with theme music and cast ("Starring JACK LORD as Captain Henderson...")

Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
[...]
Looks MUCH simpler than the concept art.
1) I would guess the two pylon frames will be stronger this way, braced against each other at the lowest point?
2) Will the corresponding "dip" interfere with the main shuttlebay?
3) And, tragically, no 2001 astronauts staring at that massive "toppled monolith" base?

Best-
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Looks MUCH simpler than the concept art.
1) I would guess the two pylon frames will be stronger this way, braced against each other at the lowest point?
2) Will the corresponding "dip" interfere with the main shuttlebay?
3) And, tragically, no 2001 astronauts staring at that massive "toppled monolith" base?

Best-
Thanks! I think the two uprights braced together does simplify and strengthen the structure. This dip is actually no lower than the top of the main frame so I think we're good for the hangar bay. (knock on wood) My new concern is that the pylons may be too close to the top edge, if not wrapping onto the top of the secondary hull. I won't know until the frame gets inside a cast hull.

No, sorry. No astronauts today. The visual joke only goes so far…

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-27-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:01 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Weekend Update - Secondary hull docking ports. Two port and starboard personnel docking hatches were drilled into the secondary master and created with sections of 5/16" plastic tubing, which has an inside diameter of 1/4" - the exact size of a 1:350 scale TMP style port. The tubing was backed with a piece of styrene then recessed into the hull and glued with Tamiya Thin cement, keeping the back wall parallel with the keel. A large file trimmed the excess plastic once the glue had set. After the hull is cast, these ports will be detailed with ParaGrafix 350 E refit PE hatches and rings.

Maneuvering thrusters were also cut into each side just aft of the lower hatches. All that remains to finish the secondary is the dreaded panel scribing.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Makes me want to board ship right now!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Humble Aspirant

Gorgeous work. The detailed photos make the impossible seem... attainable? Even for a n00b.

How do you ensure each drilled hole stays level within the model? (Does not go askew, in other words.) Seems like this would require a rig, or similar.

2) From airlock/port placements, I infer you've made deck plans. Am I right?

Best-
Old 11-30-2015, 04:46 AM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Didn't even think of maneuvering thrusters! Awesome work.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:58 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Makes me want to board ship right now!
Permission granted! Watch your step, turbo lifts are not yet installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Gorgeous work. The detailed photos make the impossible seem... attainable? Even for a n00b.

How do you ensure each drilled hole stays level within the model? (Does not go askew, in other words.) Seems like this would require a rig, or similar.

2) From airlock/port placements, I infer you've made deck plans. Am I right?

Best-
The level was simply eyeballed and having extra tubing extending from the hole made it easier to gauge squareness. I also penciled depth indicators on the outside of the tube to make sure they recessed consistent to each other.

I have not done any detailed deck plans yet. But based on the placement of ports on the profile drawings and knowing roughly where the hangar deck sits I made some executive decisions. The top docking port was moved forward from its original position as it would be sitting directly above the impulse flush vent. I also added the secondary (lower) port midships as it looked naked there. Plus, it gives additional crew access to the secondary while the top port direct access to the primary and B/C decks.

I've updated the color profile to reflect the new docking port positions and thruster:

I had started work on a deck profile plan - as a Master System Display for the 1/6 scale bridge. I did not get very far as you can see here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
Didn't even think of maneuvering thrusters! Awesome work.
She should probably have more but we don't want to overdo it. TOS design did not include it but by TMP, they were everywhere.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

1/6 scale bridge.

You sir are THE MAN.

BTW, are you familiar with the Churchill fan design? The reason I ask is because it always reminded me of your "style".
http://orig13.deviantart.net/8d31/f/...ex-d6u6z2w.jpg

Last edited by Road Warrior; 11-30-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:33 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
1/6 scale bridge.

You sir are THE MAN.

BTW, are you familiar with the Churchill fan design? The reason I ask is because it always reminded me of your "style".
http://orig13.deviantart.net/8d31/f/...ex-d6u6z2w.jpg
Thank you! I have seen the Churchill and it was a design that was definitely an inspirational style I have kept on file while designing and building both Shangri-La and Wasp. Although I think the general shapes are a little bulky, I applaud its bold concept.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Permission granted! Watch your step, turbo lifts are not yet installed.

Last edited by Jim NCC1701A; 11-30-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
My favorite episode of LA Law!

Poor Diana......

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 11-30-2015, 03:26 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
Ha! Nice one Jim! Would you believe I was picturing this very scene when I wrote that comment?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:55 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Ha! Nice one Jim! Would you believe I was picturing this very scene when I wrote that comment?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:05 PM
All ahead full

B/C deck windows get framed in with 3/32 x 3/16 rectangular brass tubing.

Four down.

Seventy more to go.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:35 AM.