Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 02-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
Bill, please just make it subtle.
Last thing we need is a repeat of the Bling-o-prise and it's 'hear you from a mile away' soundtrack...
Fully endorse the idea of speakers in this, to accompany the implied thrumming impulse engines. Maybe a volume of "standing at a quiet table, you can hear it" level, so no one gets blown away....

Old 02-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Impulse drives got some attention this weekend. The inner PE hex grills were cut and glued to a corresponding piece of acrylic - sanded on both sides to diffuse it. (3) red 2mm LEDs and (2) orange 3mm LEDs were used to light the engines. I've also attached a video showing the pulsing effect by running the orange LEDs through the 'rotating beacon' circuit of the 6v navigation board.

[...]
Video:
The production values on this tiny video snippet make me want the full "opening credits" montage for the Sentinel adventures. Reminds me of the vids the Dak_Phoenix used to put out, oh so long ago...

Best-
Old 02-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Had some time today to work on the upper utility hangar bay. Over the weekend, I cast a new top of the secondary to replace the original section cut from the rotocast hull in order to make a perfect-fit removable top. This all took a remarkable amount of grinding, filing, sanding and carving to make it drop in with a minimal seam. I also decided to only open the port side hangar, leaving the starboard door shut. After grinding the door and ceiling area open, I constructed the floor and walls out of .060 styrene using some PE from the Refit set to clad the bulkheads. Two 'windows' on either side were open to allow for a backlit monitor. Overhead, small Plastrut beams were glued to help hide the 5 tiny red SMDs used to illuminate the hangar for night ops. In space, it's always night ops. Anyway, I think the red is cool. The main hangar will have standard white diffused lighting with yellow "safety" beacons overhead.
[...]
Love the lights, love the layout, love the PE. Is that a triangular corridor beyond (heading 'forward' into the ship)?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:16 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Love the lights, love the layout, love the PE. Is that a triangular corridor beyond (heading 'forward' into the ship)?

Yes sir. It's a short juncture that corresponds to the forward personnel docking port (as seen on the exterior).
Old 02-23-2016, 06:19 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
The production values on this tiny video snippet make me want the full "opening credits" montage for the Sentinel adventures. Reminds me of the vids the Dak_Phoenix used to put out, oh so long ago...

Best-
Thanks! You may laugh, but a full "Star Trek: Sentinel" faux TV show open is underway, all to the theme of Hawaii Five-O. You can image the mash up visuals that will accompany it.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:31 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

What's incredible.....is that avatar.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 PM
All ahead full

Sentinel Fun Fact #47:

Design homage of the Sentinel's Close Field Sensor can be attributed to the first ride of the skipper's Hawaiian home. This 1968 Mercury Parklane Brougham was seen in the first seasons of "Hawaii Five-O" as Steve Mcgarret's official car.

Interior update: There are Four ways of doing things at Tycho Yard. The Right way, the Wrong way, the Starfleet way or the Boeing way. Well, The Boys at Boeing Astrodynamics are doing things the only way they know how and that's building Starships. These concepts of the main hangar layout came across my desk today as the fitting out continues aft. The landing deck extends beneath the main warp pylon superstructure to a stepped cargo deck which drop three decks.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Yes sir. It's a short juncture that corresponds to the forward personnel docking port (as seen on the exterior).
Triangular corridor, last seen on ... Pike's Enterprise, in the original pilot, true?
If so, great homage...

Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Triangular corridor, last seen on ... Pike's Enterprise, in the original pilot, true?
If so, great homage...

There is one end of the TOS corridor set that used this triangular doorframe. The scene that came to mind when I built my corridor was the the arrival of Spock's family in "Journey to Babel" and the cove Kirk & Co. stood in outside the main hangar as Sarek and Amanda disembarked the shuttlecraft. Not so much angled walls as the just the angled frame. The PE set came from the Refit sheet so these doors and door frames come from the botanical detail wall panels. So, this nod goes in both directions.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Trifecta indeed. Yum yum.

I didn't realize the 1968 Mercury Parklane Brougham was such a good-looking ride. Now I want one!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:32 AM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
What's incredible.....is that avatar.
Hells yeah.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
There is one end of the TOS corridor set that used this triangular doorframe. The scene that came to mind when I built my corridor was the the arrival of Spock's family in "Journey to Babel" and the cove Kirk & Co. stood in outside the main hangar as Sarek and Amanda disembarked the shuttlecraft. Not so much angled walls as the just the angled frame. The PE set came from the Refit sheet so these doors and door frames come from the botanical detail wall panels. So, this nod goes in both directions.
[...]
*nods* Indeed.

The corridor I thought of when I saw your model was:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=en
Possibly the same set piece, recycled a few years later.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 AM
All ahead full

Couple of progress pics of the Main Hangar construction. The overhead bulkheads were cut from .040 styrene and sandwiched in a stack and Dremeled all at once. The PE comes from a Refit E set by ParaGrafix. I'm using the armature itself as part of the visible structure over the cargo deck area. I've dressed it up in bits of PE to make it blend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	72142

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	72143

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	786.9 KB
ID:	72144

Name:	_MG_8713.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	72145

Name:	_MG_8714.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	72146

Name:	_MG_8715.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	72147

Name:	_MG_8716.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	681.2 KB
ID:	72148

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	632.2 KB
ID:	72149

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	72150

Testing out the new image attachment feature reenabled to the RI site.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 02-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:28 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I'd say the photo hosting feature works pretty well

That shuttle bay looks fantastic. The arched ribs are a lot like those in the Refit's hangar bay but their shapes are very definitely TOS.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Brilliant... per operating standards.