Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > Costumes and Props

Costumes and Props Costumes, Prosthetics, Props, and Makeup

Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM

SingleSeat is on a distinguished road
Default Iron Man Helmet build and Greetings!

Hello to all. I joined a few months ago, just perusing the threads. My background is in models of all types, but I mainly just piddle around with Boba Fett props. However, this one was something quite different from the regular fare.

This Iron Man helmet is a recent commission build that I did with a fan-made MkII/III sculpt and cast. A cheek detail kit and LEDs were added to the basic cast to create this, but the real challenge was in achieving the idealistic appearance that was desired for this copy instead of the worn and dirty stuff I'm used to. As you can see, the helmet is much more glossy than the real prop. It was also idealistic in terms of the version of helmet it represented with the MkIV/V cheek details. It was a tough job because I ran into paint reactions at every stage and went through the most intensive paint-stripping process I have ever done. The end result is this helmet that is intended to look somewhat clean, but still lightly used.

Most of the weathering doesn't show well in the pictures, but the automotive paint really pops in the sunlight. The gold is ever-so-slightly brushed and the eyes are scratch-built.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM_MPPC16.JPG (55.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IM_MPPC15.JPG (55.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IM_MPPC21.JPG (56.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IM_MPPC10.JPG (42.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IM_MPPC17.JPG (66.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Iron Man Helmet build and Greetings!

Excellent work, and welcome to RI!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

indeed! lovely work - the eyes really make it stand out.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! The eyes have three layers of plastic to them just to create a more complex looking piece.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Digital Painter

tagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of All

That is awesome. What colors did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Excellent work!

You say automotive paint-----Lacquers?

Welcome to the funny farm---hope ya stay a while!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Enhanced Member

mar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of All

Nicely done. Great finish.

When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks for checking it out, all. That's the typical Dark Cherry Metallic Duplicolor at work with a Testors gold, but on a highly prepared face surface with follow-on treatment to give some brushy grain.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Digital Painter

tagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of All

Thank you for the reply. I have been trying to research the colors on my own for a kit that I was working on and I had narrowing it down. Those 2 colors are ones that I narrowed down as well for the finals.