Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > Costumes and Props

Costumes and Props Costumes, Prosthetics, Props, and Makeup

Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 PM

chrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon View Post
Wow! Scratchbuilding the thing - most would have jumped on eBay and just bought a crappy, 100th generation casting. Good for you!
I actually thought about that for a moment, but the cowls are always part of the body of the phasers, and you lose that three dimensional quality- you're supposed to be able to see into the cowl holes a bit. So I decided making my own was the only way.
Plus, a lot of those triple-re-castings are of the Miarecki version, and I like the later ones better.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 PM

chrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura aboutchrisisall has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.F.U. View Post
Hi again,
that's fine mate I can see that you are a perfectionist and I respect that but if you would like to sell me a cast i'd be happy to do the work to correct any casting errors. s'up to you
On closer inspection, half of the castings came out pretty good, the other half needs more work than I can imagine anyone would have any fun at all doing.
But- I will mould & cast them again!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:56 PM

T.F.U. New face in the crowd

Okay mate - waiting for the recasts with anticipation.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Well, here's the finished not-so-good cast. I had a problem with my Rustoleum chrome- it went on nice & looked almost like real metal, but when I touched it, my finger oil dulled the shine. Polishing it didn't help; Clear coating it turned it greyish, so I just used acrylic silver instead. It actually looks a bit better in these photos than in person- there are a number of micro-bubbles I didn't bother with since this is just my test gun. But now I know if I can make a crap pull come out this nice with minimal effort, a really good one is possible. I'm also looking into how to make or purchase real metal parts...

Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Very nice! I know you're not happy w/the paintjob, but the pics make it looks great, IMNSHO.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
Very nice! I know you're not happy w/the paintjob, but the pics make it looks great, IMNSHO.
It's okay, but the metal parts don't look metal-y. I took steps to correct that.
I solved the nozzle looking like metal problem at last. A coat of primer, 2 light coats of aluminum matte, 2 coats of clear lacquer, 2 more coats of am, 2 more lacquer, each step separated by 24 hrs.

Now, on to the bodies...