Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > Costumes and Props

Costumes and Props Costumes, Prosthetics, Props, and Makeup

Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Star Trek III The Search For Spock Communicator - Stapleton Productions

This is a dream prop, I've wanted one for many years now and it looks like it is finally happening. It's pretty elusive too.

A while back, I heard that Stapleton Productions was going to make and sell kits of it abd I about lost my dignity - if you've been around prop boards, then you know how awesome his prop kits are. In fact, there are two threads about his props already here on RI - a Dustbuster phaser from TNG and a review of his Mark VII Tricorder.

I kept looking and waiting but didn't hear anything. Then, I noticed Kevin Jones was selling a few Trek III-VI lids on Propfixs so I went ahead and ordered one. It seems that the lids are the hard part do do or get when it comes to these comms.

Then I PMmed Mr. Stapleton on Facebook. As it turns out, he has kits ready to go but the guy making his lids has gone silent so he's not actively selling till the lid situation gets worked out. I found out that Mr Jones' lids will work, so I placed the order.

Short review about the comm kit: Got it, love it, it needs a couple things done but no biggie, go buy one if you can find a lid!

Here it is with a DStines TOS comm (built by yours truly and has traces of grace Lee Whitney's DNA on it somewhere so I'm NEVER cleaning it):

With the P1 from a Rodd.com STIII phaser. Comm will be the same glossy black and its rectangular insert will be Model Master Bright Blue, same as the P1 trigger. I'm also planning to make a new midplate out of brass:

Need to fill that seam on the box looking thingy:

I noticed a couple small bubbles on the fuse-puller greeblie:

I tried filling them in with putty but had a bad time so I drilled them out. I'll replace them with pieces of brass rod:

A few tiny places on the top shell needed attention:

Not going to do much more till I get the lid, but this is going to be a fun prop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kcomm.jpg (11.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Star Trek III The Search For Spock Communicator - Stapleton Productions

Cool

Did you happen to hear anything yet on whether their will be electronics for these?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Star Trek III The Search For Spock Communicator - Stapleton Productions

No I haven't, for the simple reason that I am one lazy essobee
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All

Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The answer: No - he doesn't have any particular electronics in mind. Not a problem really.

I painted (most) of it.... Duplicolor Black Mica and testors Model Master Bright Blue. The blue doesn't looks so BLUE in person. Speaker 'grille' is just taped in right now, this prop will get a nice bulletproof clearcoat before it's finished.

The insides. Note the brass rod. It is threaded on each end for the round head Allen screws. The lid attaches to the rod via said screws and as the lid opens, the rod turns. There is a flat area milled in the rod that can be used to trip a switch. Also check out how roomy the inside is. (He even provides a wrench for the four allen screws that hold the kit together!)

The midplate is resin. I am probably going to replace it with brass.

He also provides castings for the red and green LEDs.