Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Real Space

Real Space Finished build ups of real space-related subjects

Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 AM

JMChladek will become famous soon enoughJMChladek will become famous soon enough
Default My 1/72 shuttle builds

Well, I figure this might be the best way to introduce myself. A few of you know me from the other boards, but for the rest that don't know me, shuttle models are one of my passions as the Shuttle program was MY space program. I am one of the few people out there who has built more than one Monogram full stack shuttle kit. The first one I did as Atlantis from STS-117 for the Strategic Air & Space Museum near Ashland, NE (where it sits today in the Clay Anderson exhibit). The second one I built as Moonraker 6 from the James Bond film. Granted Moonraker doesn't quite qualify as real space, but I am including it since it was based on shuttle and the movie did warp my brain to like shuttles more in those years before Columbia first flew. So here they are.

You can see more images of both these models at the following links:

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...uttle%20stack/

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...tle%20STS-117/

I've also attached recent images I shot last month of the pair. The Atlantis was back in my VAB as I had to do some minor repair work to it (the orbiter popped off the ET). So I did the repairs and beefed up the bipod strut and now it is back home. But it was nice finally having the twins sitting side by side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shuttlepair2s.jpg (792.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg shuttlepair3s.jpg (1.66 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg shuttlepair4s.jpg (1.69 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg shuttlepair5s.jpg (1,010.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by JMChladek; 08-18-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: My 1/72 shuttle builds

Welcome to RI JMC! Very nice shuttles
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM

feek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to beholdfeek61 is a splendid one to behold

Nice job. It's always nice to see a finished project!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Very nice and there are a good number of real space modelers about here.

Welcome aboard and you'll fit right in.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

I just saw this at Eagetransporter and will comment again: I really like this build. A very nice addition to any kitchen decor too, I might add.

Welcome to RI also, where you can upload as many pics as you like and never have to worry about your thread disappearing!

Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 PM

JMChladek will become famous soon enoughJMChladek will become famous soon enough

LOL. Thanks Mike. No worries anyway. That "kitchen" is actually downstairs and is sort of part of my workshop area. So it doesn't occupy the area where cooking is normally done (the microwave that was down here got moved out a few years ago anyway).

The Atlantis stack is back at the museum now while Moonraker 6 sits on my TV set (and it is BIG). I eventually plan to finish an STS-1 Columbia stack, which I could sit next to the Moonraker. But, anymore full stack shuttle builds and I'll have to get REALLY creative in coming up with more space for them, or resort to selling a couple. Of course, considering the Moonraker has a Richard Kiel signiture on it, I really don't feel like selling it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All

Very nice.

Also welcome to here too...............

Fantastic MOONRAKER job there. Love those decal layouts on that kit.

Chris.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Yeah, doing those little markings were the most fun part of this project. It is those little markings and details that make this model look very Gerry Andersonesque in its vibe (probably because Derrek Meddings created that type of "look" when he worked for Anderson). I tried to get everything I could, from the gray square with the white "A" and numbers on the external tank, to the orange triangles, to the little black and red squares. Don't put those on and a Moonraker model tends to look naked by comparison. I didn't add any stuff to the back side of the ET, mainly because I have no documented evidence that any markings were put on the back of the tank since the full stack models were pretty much only filmed from one side.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM

mb1k New face in the crowd

Welcome Jay. Good to see you keep popping up.