Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > CGI and Graphics

CGI and Graphics CG models, Photoshop, and Composites

Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM

VolcanoLogic New face in the crowd
Default Re: TOS Constitution

Very impressive work there... looks like some very clean modeling.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Still lurking about....

Loneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to all

Thanks! I haven't updated in awhile since real-world events & work have kept me busy with other things. I'm also trying to learn lighting, materials & texturing (which, I'll be honest, is a pain in the ass).

Thus far, this is where the Connie is now:

Still a ways to go, but she's getting there.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

I think it looks great and you're doing great... I own Blender, but so far haven't been able to figure out how to use the darn thing. The GUI is so confusing to me... I just have no idea where to start or how to do anything. It's the only 3D program I can have though, since it's the only one I can afford. I have a model someone made for me in Blender that I finally learned how to light and render, but so far I'm unable to actually make any objects.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Still lurking about....

Loneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to allLoneknight is a name known to all

Thanks again for the kind words.

Blender is kind of a beast, I will admit. Having tried Lightwave, then Sketchup, and finally deciding that I WILL learn Blender (like you, it was in my price range ), there is a learning curve. Lightwave was too expensive, and Sketchup is too basic.

There are some pretty decent tutorials online, but I tend to learn differently than 'click this, click that, press x key and move this to there, etc.'. I need to know why I'm clicking this, or pressing that, and what that function does.

I found a copy of Blender for Dummies, and it's a good jumping-off point. The author does a fairly decent job at introducing you to the concepts of Blender, how to use the majority of the tools, and walks you through tutorials step-by-step. He doesn't cover everything - and I can't blame him - but it is enough to get you started. Checking Amazon, you can score a copy for around $20...which kinda irks me: I paid full price for mine!
Blender for Dummies @ Amazon

If you want links to online tutorials, let me know. Keep in mind, however: the folks behind Blender are constantly updating the program, which is nice since they add features & fix bugs, but sometimes these tutorials aren't updated to the latest version, so you either have to wing it or go searching for a more up-to-date how to. Trust me, though: once you get your bearings, using Blender is (mostly) a walk in the park.

And of course, if you need to ask me any questions, I'll do my best to help you out!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM

^

Thank you, Loneknight! I'll check out that book ASAP. Believe it or not, it took me forever to decipher just how to lock in a camera angle for rendering (CTRL+ALT+0). I am using Blender 2.32 (don't laugh)... I know it's very dated, but I have tried newer versions and I just got completely lost, so version 2.32 is what I'm using for the time being. Again, thank you, and I'll PM you with any further questions about Blender... I appreciate the help!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Still lurking about....

Don't mention it! While I can't guarantee I can offer much help with 2.32, I'll give it my best shot.