Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 PM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Some Weekend Shipwrighting Of A Sort...

Brilliant job Ian.

Love stuff like this too.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Trip, one tries to be old bean and yes i've been told i'm bloody trying at times.
Besides, done my time standing over a boiling kettle steaming planks. Easier this way, not as many scalded fingers and way less mutterings of the "Fuck me that's bastard hot!" variety

Boxster, Chris, I thank ya!

Don old friend it's just one way out of several I assure you but nay prob and you're most welcome mate

Well now...
Deck fittings and the like built up. Companion ways, hatch covers, skylight, windlass and winch.

All of these given a first wax stain coat, buffed up a bit and left the hell alone.
Meanwhile the channels and pin rails, sliced from stock, drilled where required, sanded and fitted.

Deck parts glued in to place.

Cat heads made up and fitted.

Wheel and tiller made up and placed, the deck, bulwarks and all bits given a wax stain and a wipe over.

And that's where we stand at this time of keyboard hammering.

A break for a bit, got a date with an empty concrete fish pond that's going to get some kango hammer treatment...then some steps out the front to get rebuilt...then a raised brick flower bed that's got to go away...then a brick wall to put up...then a loft to clear...

You'd think that now i've got a couple of weeks holiday from my day job I would be having a break and doing some fun stuff.
Well to quote my old and sadly long departed Dad "Well you know what thought did son, thought he would but turns out he bleedin' well wasn't going to get the chance to"

Go easy out there all!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Well in between breaking rocks in the hot sun...I fought the pond and a, I won...and other DIY destructive behaviour I manged to get some time in the hellhole in.

Sort of rough building jig worked out with some MDF, nails, brute force and ignorance.
Two lengths of 1/8" brass rod, epoxy glue applied and hammered (literally) in to 1 & 1/2" deep holes in the keel.

This will keep it all nice and even while the masting and rigging happens.
Later i'll make up some wood turnings for these to go through into the base stand.

But that's for later, for now...
Rudder in place.

Stearage rigging and stern handrails on.

Barrel in place, water pumps assembled curtosey of two kit supplied turnings and much bending/soldering of brass wire curtosey of yours truly.

Ring loops placed on all hatches and in the deck for the standing/running rigging hitches.

Hawser holes for the anchor chain placed more or less where they should be.
Bowsprit in place, cap attached and flying bowsprit also.
Bowsprit bits set in place.

And that's it so far!
Had the rest of the DIY materials delivered today so more later when the oppourtunity arises...whenever that may be.

Go easy out there and take care of yaselves!
Does that count?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Gorgeous.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:27 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Ta muchly my feline friend!

Well much rock humping back and forth still taking place but fitting a wee bit in here and there.

So in some form of order...

Main and foremast cut to length and tapered in a more or less correct fashion.
Holes drilled at the rake angle and masts set in.
Mast deck rings made up and placed on.
Belaying pins set in thier rails.
Main mast boom collar fitted.
Fore mast pin ring/rail fitted.
Mast crosstrees made up for both and set in place.
Cheeks under the crosstrees also set in.

Picture wise, it all looks a bit like this...

Well almost on to the shrouds and stays rigging now so getting there.

Right now, more DIY and after a couple of days of lumping about a ton and a bit of rubble and throwing mixed concrete, bricks and paving slabs about the down side is most days i'm at the level of knackered which is of the marching on me chinstrap and breathing through me asshole kind of tired.

Up side is that by handling rough stone and the chemicals in brick mortar means I have no fingerprints right now so no worries about that sort of evidence if I decide to do a bank raid in the next couple of days.

But since i'm fresh out of fuckin' energy and/or inclination and considering it's the weekend, i'll skip that idea

Go easy out there all!
Does that count?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

This is great mate!! What references are you using?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Thanks Drew.
Well not using any references as such old friend because there isn't really any about for that particular ship oddly enough.
Unless you count two very small pics of a half hull and full rigged model built at the time the real ship was. The only other stuff is online pics of other folks builds of the same kit which can differ radically. I recall the first one I built has some differences in constuction from this one which is certainly a few years older than than the kit I first built so a bit rough in certain places.
A bit of guess work also thrown in for good measure.

I think I can sum it up by saying i'm doing a hybrid of what seems right/looks nice and what details i've got in the reference books of wooden sailing ships of approximately that period to at least make her look the part.

Wether all that will work out or not, we'll see
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 07-30-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Well, damn fine job - even more so without reference!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Thanks Drew old bean, muchly appreciated

Well the DIY debarcle is tapering off now so a bit more done. Found meself running a bit low on brass pins and luckily, the modelshop in Chatham Dockyard is open on Sundays so on me bike was I.

Also picked up a few other bits and here's why:
The deadeyes, these...

Are fixed to the channels and the side of the hull via a chain. Now these are lashed to another set of deadeyes which in turn are the bottom of the shrouds that run up to the mast crosstree.
Or as shown in this pic here...

Now in the kit as such, they are supposed to be made from two strands of brass wire twisted together. Decided otherwise and bought some fine chain to do the job.

Only after i'd drilled holes in all the wrong places on the strake down the side of the hull of course but that's my screwup and it'll get put right.

Now the first fixing, brass wire on the deadeyes. A short length of brass wire, bent around the deadeye, the ends twisted a couple of times in the end jaws of a set of needle nose pliers and one strand trimmed back.

Repeat 17 times...

So holes in the channels drilled out and on set in place and the short length of wire bent up in a partial hook fashion, the chain all trimmed to length.

A length of chain on the hook, a trim of the excess and a delicate pinch up with the needle nose pliers.

A pin hammerd in to secure the bottom of the chain and one done.

And repeat with the aid of a piece of string to line up with the mast crosstree.

The very slight slack in the chain will be taken up by the shroud rigging and then the last fixing of a pin securing the chain to the light wood strake down the side of the hull will be sorted.

And repeat...

And with a little bit of luck, much serving of shroud shall be sorted soonest!
Possibly tomorrow and i'll explain what i'm babbling about then

Go easy out there you merry mob!
Does that count?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 AM

armorjim New face in the crowd

Awesome job.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I'm savoring this build.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Jim, Dave, I thank ye kindly gents!

Well more fun, sun and suffering in the hellhole on a somewhat warm day...
Time for the shroud lines and it all went a bit like this:
Four pairs of lines for each mast make up the shrouds going from the deadeyes to the crosstrees. Now where they wrap round the mast, this part shopuld normally be wormed, parceled and served.

This page explains that to save me typing it all out...
http://www.schoonerman.com/sailingte...ng-worming.htm

Now in large scales that's fine, large scale this isn't (allegedly 1/50th) so a best approximation will have to do. One length of cord for the shroud strung out and a shorter length of the same stuff tied on and wrapped around tightly along about 1 1/2" length and tied off.

This was then wrapped around a bit of 1/4" dowel and lashed together to make a loop.
Four of these made up for the main mast and placed on port/starboard each one.

Now then, each shroud line has to be tied off to a deadeye which is in turn tied to it's corresponding deadeye on the channel. Best as possible and trying to keep the line length even, some brass wire was bent up in hook fashion and the deadeyes all lined up.
Then came the long winded job of seizing the shroud lines proper and trimming up.

Like so.

Once all sorted, another lines served and this made the main mast backstays.

Backstay lines secured.

Then came the fun part.
All the shroud lines have to be tensioned up evenly. Out with some thinner nylon cord, many knots in ends tied and so to work.

One at a time, the brass wire slipped out of the lower deadeyes and removed from the upper ones.
Nylon line wound through, tension and tie off going port/starboard working fore to aft.
And a few teeth gritting monents and much fine point tweezer juggling ensued.

And a repeat performance of this lark pending on the fore mast...lord save us all.

More later, you lot go easy out there now.
Does that count?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM

tsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to behold

this is some fantastic looking stuff...

and...

thank you, thank you, thank you.

in another life, i build r/c floaty thingies.... like say, a Billing's Colin Archer. I am just now starting all of the rigging. you have enlightened me ten-fold better than the lousy instructions ever could on this stuff.

Last edited by tsenecal; 08-01-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Thanks and you're welcome
That's always been the problem with wooden ship model kits in general with some notable exceptions. Sometimes you feel a course in cryptology would help in deciphering just exactly what the plans are telling you.

Had a glance round the net at the Colin Archer, neat little beastie I have to say.
Speaking of neat little beasties, the next one on the hit list in my very small kit stash is this one...

ARM 82 Dutch fising boat, kit by Mantua. Winds out at a smidgen over 2' long and it's 1/25th scale.
Interesting hull shape and layout to me though I think I won't be building as a stock fishing boat. Got a bit of a conversion in mind and in that scale, I can get figures with the minimum of fuss.

But that's for later, right now though...

More rigging ruminations!
Foremast shrouds in place and sorted.

Main and fore top masts and caps installed.

Foremast backstay, upper and lower topmast stays in place.

Blocks sorted and readied up for the final foremast backstay.

So with a bit of luck all the standing rigging should be done soon. Then on to the ratlines, or footropes if you will, up the shrouds.
Then to the yards and running rigging so getting there

That's the lot for now, go easy now
Does that count?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

And we continue...
So to the last of the standing rigging as such.
Bobstays on the bowsprit done.

Lastly, the forestays and that's pretty much the standing rigging done.

Mast top buttons in place.

The overall looksee as it were.

And the first of the two tedium inducing jobs to be dealt with.
Lashing and siezing of the blocks for the running rigging.

Just one here...

Or two there...

Or three over here...

Or five...

Or several on the main mast...

A final fistful on the foremast...i'm thankful to say!

The second major tedium inducing activity is the ratlines or footropes if you will. And that's for next time so more later I promise.

Go easy out there you lot!
Does that count?