Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Some Weekend Shipwrighting Of A Sort...

I love it! Fucking awsome, Ian!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

I thank ye most kindly me feline friend

Well the tedious but most necessary stuff continues.
Ratlines or footropes as sometimes called on the main mast. A card cheat thingy placed on to try and keep said ratlines sorta straight or as near as damnit.

Not my idea, just something I picked up in the way back when that always seemed like a good idea to me.

So then, 42 lengths of thread 0.010mm diameter, which is about 4thou of an inch or so.
136 knots tied and a drop of model railroad sceneic glue to each knot.
Excellent gear for this kind of job. Kind of a milk consistancy and soaks right in to the thread, dries clear and matt in quite a solid fashion.

Let dry proper, trim up close and the main mast shrouds now fully sorted.

One lot down, one lot to go then the downhill stretch so to speak.

Go easy out there all, take good care of yaselves now!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 08-05-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: inability to fuckin' spell most long words correctly...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Enhanced Member

mar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of Allmar10 Overlord Master of All

This is just...uh...I...yeah. WOW!

There really is no words to pay proper respect to a build like this. You da MAN!!

When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Thanks Jim, I appreciate it mate
Plodding on and pleased to say all shrouds now complete with ratlines so standing rigging a done and done thing.

So to the boom, gaff and yardarm dept.
All from 1/8" mahogany dowel except one, found out there wasn't enough in the box to do the job so did a number on a length of 1/4" square teak strip stock from the tubes 'o timber strip I keep laying about.

Now al these had to be tapered and shaped according to the plans and a fairly simple deal. Cut to length, slap in the lathe chuck like so.

Set and run at appropriate revs and introduce two hard rubber sanding blocks with some 80 grit emery cloth attached.

One each side of the rotating timber and work back and forth in a most careful fashion keeping clear of the chuck. After about a miniute of faffing about, we got this.

Gentle taper to the timber, just about right.
Now for the boom and gaffs it's all good as it's only one end that needs to be tapered. The masts were done in pretty much the same fashion.

The yardarms are a slightly different matter. They have to be tapered both ends and have a step end cut in. Well a matter of doing on end and doing the other to match with much going over of a digital vernier to check as we go along.

Long story short, it was done.

The step in/shouldering at the yard arm ends was a simple case of measure and work down with a file in the lathe...very carefully.

So then, the crutches for the boom and gaffs were removed from the sort of die-cut plywood sheet. I say sort of die-cut, more like die-dented and work the rest out for yaself kinda thing but no big deal.

The crutches at the center of the yard ams was strip stock from the kit, cut and sanded to shape.

The boom and gaffs got the crutch treatment as did the yards and then there was much lating on and rubbing down of wax.
Then came the inevitable lashing and the like of rigging blocks.

At this time of scribbling, these have been placed on the masts where they should be and next time around, it's much running about with the running rigging.

That's ya lot for now, go easy out there all!
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 08-07-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

Beautiful workmanship on the standing rigging!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

I can't imagine any modelling assignment being tougher than a ship with rigging. Better you than me, Mr. Lawrence....

AAAAARH!

Mike
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

"There's frigging in the rigging 'cause there's nothing left to do!"
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

(Continued excellent work there Ian! )
Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

John, Mike, Drew I thank ya fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
I can't imagine any modelling assignment being tougher than a ship with rigging. Better you than me, Mr. Lawrence....
Says the bloke who's putting several thousand bits of plastic and resin together to make a 'fuck off size' Battlestar model
Quote:
AAAAARH!

Mike
AYE THERE MATEY!!

Well made a start on the running rigging.
Main mast boom and gaffs in position, much clearing up and other nonsense to be attended to but we be getting there.

More as time goes on as always.
Take care of yaselves all!
Does that count?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 AM

armorjim New face in the crowd

Awesome build, love the rigging.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM

bellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant future

yes great craftmanship ship

i love wood ! mhh Nelson`s Vic
Old 08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Jim, Bellerophon, I thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
*snip* mhh Nelson`s Vic
Aye and believe me i'm still a bit annoyed when I think about it that I had to sell off the Caldercraft 1/72nd kit if the Victory a year or two back

I was seriously looking forward to getting that lass built but them's the breaks. Same as the plans going astray for the Savannah.
She was a 44 gun American frigate launched 1842.
Got as far as the outer planking on the hull and making up the main mast parts and the plans just vanished from the stash. I still know not how and i've never been able to get another set (originally bought on weevilbay) of plans since that lot in about 2002.

Been looking about with no joy but again, them's the breaks.
Ended up just breaking up the hull and that was that.
Was building her in 1/4" to 1' scale or 1/48th as it's better known.

But there ya have it, shit happens

Still, I can console myself to a degree. Got an excellent set of plans for the HMS Enterprize, yes that's the correct spelling for the ship, 28 gun English frigate launched August 1775.
One day...one day...
Does that count?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

And that's about that with the running rigging lashing up
So some clearing up of the belaying pin tie offs, both anchors to be catted, figurehead and stern decoration to be done but getting closer to the finish line.

Enjoy!

Does that count?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Mostly Harmless

Freaking beautiful. I hope it's been as much fun building as I've had watching this great thread!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Thanks Drew and yep, been having some fun and more so now the end is in sight.
Not here quite yet but getting there

Did the loops of excess running rigging line for the pin anf fife rails as it should be.
Much fiddling with thread, slapping on the scenic glue, waving of hairdryer and related buggering about.

Just the anchors to cat, anchor chain to fit, footropes to fit to the yards, Final rigging line de-fuzzing, stern decoration, figurehead and make a base for this lass to sit pretty on and that's it.

Here's to a productive Sunday I hope

Go easy all!
Does that count?