Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Resin Illuminati > Board Rules and Guidelines

Board Rules and Guidelines Look here for all things related to posting and the rules thereof

Old 07-23-2011, 02:14 PM

AbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How Far Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
that was clear or not

beautifully painted models boring

Total dirty and filthy, the better one
You realize this was your 666th post?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 PM

bellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant future

^^^^

now you can call me official "Antichrist"
Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 PM

AbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the roughAbsoluteSciFi is a jewel in the rough

doough!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

What you guys said!

I prefer people being honest about my work when I post! I must be the only one in this board that complete a model once every few years! Darn!

B
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Thomas Dick New face in the crowd

Very interesting forum. I like it.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All

Neg or Positive comments? Heck I'd just care to have a few comments in any way shape or form on my stuff.

~Pete~
Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

hell it looks like the section in question is just turning into another "good job" "solid build" comments place anyway.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Well said.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM

I just realized, that when you hold a mirror in front of a mirror...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 AM

katana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWR MKII View Post
hell it looks like the section in question is just turning into another "good job" "solid build" comments place anyway.
Well....the people that do post in that section are very good at what they do.They have the confidence and the ability to pull off some stunning builds. I think of it more as a 'master modeler' section than anything.

I'm here to learn from you guys,to try and make myself a better modeler. I lurk alot,I've posted one image of a set of finished models. They were ok,not great. I see alot of problems that I should have fixed before the competition, but hey,that's life.
Critisism should always be constructive,and if you don't know how to fix the probs,why point them out?

I'm here to learn from some of the best,most imaginative bad-ass modelers on the net!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana2001 View Post
and if you don't know how to fix the probs,why point them out?

I've debated this particular question in my mind over and over ever since this section was created, and it hit me last week: I don't have to be a professional chef to know when my food order is bad.

Applying that logic to modeling: let's say that someone has never even opened a model box before, let alone built, painted, or weathered it.
Maybe he's looking at an airplane somebody built. It's a beautifully-done model. No seams, paintwork is immacculate, decals applied flawlessly, and the weathering is gorgeous.

However - our guy notices that the landing gear doors are reversed. Or maybe the camo pattern is wrong for that particular plane. Or maybe the national insignias aren't in the proper places. Or maybe the builder did the paint-chip effect on an area that was fabric-covered on the real plane.

Should the guy hold back just because he's never built a model before?

Hell no!

Say what you know.

With that in mind, let's look at your sentence again in a different light:

Quote:
and if you don't know how to fix the probs,why point them out?
Our guy has no place trying to tell people *how* to do something, if he's never done it himself.

All too often you'll see people trying to be helpful by passing on tips and tricks they've only heard about or read on a forum somewhere, but have never tried themselves. (You'll see such 'experten' in any hobby you can imagine.) Face it: if a person's builds have never gotten past the primer stage, then their input on how to decal or weather is best politely ignored*.

It's my opinion though that this sort of discourse ought to take place in every build thread, and not just in one section.

*There's a guy like this that frequents my LHS. He spray-bombs all the parts before he builds the model, there are always glue prints on the clear parts, and his decals are always in the wrong places and/or are falling off because he sticks them on over flat paint. However, he is FULL of helpful hints when it comes to painting and weathering.....it's all I can do to keep from bitch-slapping him.
There's another guy whose modeling is on a par with REL or NEB or Raytheon. When HE gives me advice, I sit down, STFU, and take notes.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM

katana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud ofkatana2001 has much to be proud of

I see your point,Cat.

You have to look at where the crits are coming from... does this person know the subject or not. I've been wasting time on the revell 1/72 uboat for ...about 4 years now. When I get advice from someone on that kit,I take a long hard look where it's coming from. You don't WANT to know the number of opinions on U-boat color schemes!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
You have to look at where the crits are coming from... does this person know the subject or not.
Exactly!

Quote:
I've been wasting time on the revell 1/72 uboat for ...about 4 years now. When I get advice from someone on that kit,I take a long hard look where it's coming from. You don't WANT to know the number of opinions on U-boat color schemes!

I can only imagine! I saw a little of that when I was trying to figure out what colors to use on my Scharnhorst build. Come to find out, most 'accurate' colors are the result of educated guesses. Then I find out that KM colors weren't standardized the way Luftwaffe and Heer colors were. So basically, until someone finds something that's been painted 'Graphite Gray' and 'S-Boat White' and stored in a dark, nitrogen-filled container, then my guess is as good as anyone elses AND EVEN IF THEY DO - it still wouldn't look right on a 1/350 model!

I said all that to say this: Screw 'em, it's YOUR model after all.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Exactly!

So basically, until someone finds something that's been painted 'Graphite Gray' and 'S-Boat White' and stored in a dark, nitrogen-filled container, then my guess is as good as anyone elses AND EVEN IF THEY DO - it still wouldn't look right on a 1/350 model!

I said all that to say this: Screw 'em, it's YOUR model after all.
And should anyone need it, I have all the high purity, VERY low dewpoint Gas Nitrogen we'll ever need......

On the point of color----I've really been hung up on that the last year or so. It's driven me away from Trek, BSG, Star wars, etc. only because everybody's ass is wratcheted so tight over color. I have a Jesse Meyer's 1/24 Colonial Viper that's been sitting in a box for years now only because I don't see the point of replicating what everyone else builds.

Let's see....base color white, pre-shade panel ohhh I don't know, dark grey maybe and then mist coat with thinned base color white. Apply the red stripe decals----maybe I'll use the "chipped" decals instead. Do some laser damage ---vary the color on a few panels, a pin wash and VOILA!!!

I've got a Viper that looks like Jason Eaton's and everyone else's!

I absolutely mean no disrespect to anybody that wants a replica of a Viper, Refit "E", Y-wing, X-wing or any other iconic piece of Sci-fi Hardware, but I want something different now and what's worse I'd like to do it with some of these very pieces----but I'm not into the drama of listening to "What the fuck is up the paint on that?" ----you all know the drill....

That's why I had sooooo much fun building that Falke last year.

On the 4 year U-boat build-----I've seen dozens of these bad puppies at our local and regional shows the last few years---judged some of them---and the best ones (to me anyhow) were anything but the standard colors. Actually----I think there may have been just a hint of the standard colors in those builds. All kinds of crazy shit going on----layer upon layer of different color. Metallic iron, steel, varying shades of the original paint worn and faded, light tones of rust stains sreaking down out of Limber holes.....bad ass.....

Guess why my Type VII, and Gato subs have been sitting on a shelf for 4 years?

Like Dave said----it's your model. Have a blast! I have to keep reminding myself of that all the time.

Now I think I'll go put a Polished aluminum finish on my Viper----thanks for the inspiration gents!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Experimenter

USS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of AllUSS Atlantis Overlord Master of All

I hear ya man - one of my favorite AMT-TOS-E builds was one I did years ago - long gone now

1 bottle of Testors Gloss White to which I'd added 20 drops of Dark Blue

Damn the fricking 'Concrete', this baby glowed

My Blog

RI - Where threads go to get fucked