Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Military Models

Military Models Finished Military Models

Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/48 B-17F "Bad Penny"

Hey Bob - got that book, LOVE it - and am immersed in it!

No pics yet But Bad Penny's interior is almost done. One thing I hate about scratch building details is that I can never get to a point where I can say enough is enough and STOP already

Another bitch is trying to pin down wtf colos the interior components were! I've gone natural metal aft of the radio room and a darker appley green for the radio room and some of the cockpit. Nose section on early Fs seemed to have a dark green soundproofing fabric on the walls, so I'll go with that.

Last edited by The Cat; 08-05-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Also decided on markings. She'll have red bordered national insignia. Most of. The bombers in the Twelve O'clock High film wore white triangles, usually with an A in them.

They had all manner of squadron code letters - my ship will be coded GK-A

I looked all over and found out that GK was never in use, and since the 918th Bomb Group is fictional, GK will represent the 230th Bomb Squadron.

(GK is cool because it means Garage Kit!)

Hey, how about a B-17 group build????????????
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Decal layout so far. Tick marks are in inches.

Sorry for the lack of pics, but she's *almost* ready for primer right now.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future

Lookin' good! Loving the nose art choice.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauly View Post
Lookin' good! Loving the nose art choice.

Thanks, Bob

I wanted something simple, just a name, but I wanted it all scriptified like the movie Memphis Belle's is.

HOORAY! Penny's sitting on her wheels! Wings aren't attached, nor is the landing gear, nose, or anything.... Fuse is closed up permanently though. (this is how she stayed while I was recuping from hernia surgery)

Bigger HOORAY!

As of yesterday, the major assemblies (wings and fuse) were pre-primered. I just sprayed the smallest possible amount of primer I could to check some troublesome seams.

Once I was happy, the wings got attached:

Penny with Patty Girl:

(One of Penny's flight crew has almost finished a 1/8 scale PBY................)

Last edited by The Cat; 09-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future

Aw, that's so cute! Penny had a PBY! I guess we need to find the mail man...
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Lookin good!

Canopy looks GREAT!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Number One is complete.

I have pics showing how I got from there to here, but you're looking at the kit (Monogram G kit, that is) cowling and prop, Quickboost engine and backing plate/cowl flap part, and Eduard ignition wires and cowl flaps.

Basically, I sanded the back of the engine until the molded-on plate went away, then I sanded down the front of the backing plate.
Glued shims on the back of the engine for depth.
Drilled out the pushrod holes in the back of the reduction gear housing. Added the Eduard ignition wires - they snap in perfectly behind the ignition ring.
Routed said wires.
Painted the engine with Model Master Steel and Grauviolett enamels.
Did a wash with diluted India ink.
Painted the ignition ring and spark plug wires.
Painted the inside of the cowlings black.
Removed the cowl flaps off the Quickboost part.
Shaped and attached the Eduard flaps.
Assembled the whole....assembly.

Quickboost's engines kick ASS. It's a bit of a PITA to add the pushrods and you do have to supply your own ignition wires, but DAMN they make a difference.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Dweeb in residence

Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Terrific! Those Eduard flaps look sweet!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Dweeb in residence

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Thanks, fellas!

George - those flaps ARE awesome. Two reasons - the QB backing plate is just a hair smaller in diameter than the cowling, and it looks a little wonky. The flaps make it look better - I was afraid I was going to have to use the kit flaps. Also, they're open, but not open enough to necessitate detailing the back of the engine.

More pics:

QB engines. The left one is how it comes out of the box. Open faced molds.... The other two have been sanded down:

.... here's a satellite pic of Hurricane Wright:

Wet-sanding on coarse sandpaper takes care of all the excess resin in a hurry.

All four engines and one backing plate sanded down. I opened up the mounting hole.

An engine with the pushrod holes drilled and an Eduard wiring harness snapped into place. Also, one Eduard cowl flap set has been shaped and is laying against the QB ones:

Backs. I drilled and sleeved the engines for brass prop shafts. Also, you can see where I cut out the QB cowl flaps and attached the Eduard. Once it was in place, I ran a hell of a bead of glue on the joint area - I want that bitch STRONG. Also, check out the three spacers on the back of the engine. One more thing - look at the left flap assembly - there is a section where the outside edges of a couple of the flaps are scalloped out - that's accurate to the real plane, inboard engines only. That cutout is to make a little room for the exhaust, and it's a trick that Monogram, Revell, AND Quickboost missed:

Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Primed and ready for paint. This weekend's gonna be FUN!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM
My ass is itchy...

Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 AM
It's gonna get real now.

A couple fresh pics of her.

I painted her Saturday. Not Saturday morning, or afternoon, or evening.... SATURDAY. A fairly simple color scheme, but it took almost all friggen DAY.

Next time I build a plane this size, I'm putting some sort of armature in it - it'll make painting a lot easier. I lucked out and was able to halfway mount this kit to a stand via a brass rod stuck thru the tailgunner's window area.

A couple firsts on this one - it's the first plane I've painted exclusively with acrylics, and it's the first that I've clearcoated, decalled, and dullcoated with something OTHER than Testors clears. It's also the first model that I ever preshaded. That effect turned out decently, but it screwed with my head because the ODs and Grays were not even!

THEY SHOULD BE ALL ONE SHADE!!!
NO - DAMMIT - THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MOTTLED!
B-B-BUT SMOOTH AND ALL ONE COLOR!!!!
BITCH, JOIN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY! THIS AIN'T 1978 ANYMORE!
SMOOTH! MONOTONE!
<SMACK!!!!>
okay.

Tamiya Khaki Drab over Neutral Gray, plus Olive Drab for the center of the vertical fin. Khaki Drab plus a little Gray for the fabric. And, uh, well, Black for the boots. Testors Acrylic gloss.

Now when I get home, DECAL TIME!!!!!!!

But I'm telling you, I'M DYING TO TAKE THE WINDOW MASKS OFF!!!!

Torture.