Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Real Space

Real Space Finished build ups of real space-related subjects

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM

vaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to all
Default my 1/72 Space Shuttle Atlantis

more or less finished with my 1/72 Space Shuttle Atlantis display. Still tweaking but it's close enough.

Last edited by vaderdentist; 06-02-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 PM

ego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to all
Default Re: my 1/72 Space Shuttle Atlantis

Bloody gorgeous!!!!

I'm definitely going to need to hear some details on how you did the tiles and blankets!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 AM

vaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to allvaderdentist is a name known to all

I went to my local hobby lobby and chose several white/off white shades of craft paper. It comes in the beautiful texture you see on the blankets. I cut it out with an Xacto blade and glued it to the finished model. The only areas not blanketed were decal locations. I simply framed them. Tiles were a mix of off white smooth craft paper/ and black pin stripe made by pactra that I cut with a Xacto blade and applied to the surface. Obviously the windows were the wrong size and shape so I made corrections with the black pin striping and some more blanketing to "reel them in".
Old 06-03-2014, 06:07 AM

Production designer John Eaves from Next Generation fame..........paid me a very kind compliment this past weekend at Wonderfest. He told me: "this is the best space shuttle build I have ever seen from a non-film industry civilian". I was blown away. The most common comment I got was "I can't believe Monogram ever made a shuttle model this large". LOL. I'll bet there were thousands of photos taken of it. It was sitting next to Steve Neisen's incredible Bird Of Prey (STIII). That thing has a 5 ft wingspan!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM

ego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to allego1138 is a name known to all

Well, the kudos are worth it. That thing is stunning. I've wanted to tackle one forever, but I didn't have a clue as to how I'd tackle those blankets.

Don't suppose you have any closeups of nose section you'd mind posting, would you? Would love to see more detail of how you mixed the different papers together.

Did you have any troubles putting the decals over the paper? And it didn't cause any problems with gloss/dull cotes?

I'm still in awe of this!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM

I didn't put decals over paper. I applied the decals before the paper went on.........then papered up to the decal.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Tough to tell in the pics . . . so what did you do up on the side near the cockpit windows where the "Atlantis" name tag is? That area is usually blankets I thought.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Atlantis name is a decal on the white painted model. The blanketing frames the decal. You can't put decals onto a textured paper if you know what I mean. In hindsight I could have printed onto the textured paper before applying it. I didn't think of that then.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

WOW... best shuttle I have EVER seen!!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

WOW!! This is the best shuttle model I have ever see!! It is just fantastic... Do more pics!!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Keith McNeill's photo accurate decals made from Hi-Rez pics of shuttle underbelly. Really takes it up a notch eh?

Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

How about THAT??!!

Very cool!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:57 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

That is some beautiful work.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Holy Crap.
Where can you get these decals?

Last edited by SCI-FI; 03-17-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 AM

do a google search for a fella named Keith McNeil