Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Real Space

Real Space Finished build ups of real space-related subjects

Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Nice Nice NICE!

I was recently at the GEN Thomas P. Stafford Air and Space Museum in Weatherford, OK and I got to see and TOUCH a first stage F1 engine complete on a cart... You really can't appreciate the size and complexity of the Saturn V until you see for yourself even just a handful of components... like that engine.

WTF were we thinking, giving up our heavy lifting capabilities and all the knowledge we accumulated during Apollo?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Thank's Gang for the nice word's!

Gota agree Bob,it's just incredible the size of some of it!
Anyone that's over there,should try and see with there own eye's,some of this Apollo era hardware.
How the hell did they get something the size of a Saturn V off the ground?
It's just mind boggling really!

Gotta ask the same question,what were they thinking when they cut the program?What,because the race was over there's no point in continuing it?
It dosen't make sense to me,just think what could have been if they had kept going back.
We would've already have a moonbase up there!

They might have even called it ALPHA,hey Eagle1!

Phil

F1 engine,JSC Jan98..don't know who the guy is in the pic,just there for scale purpose!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0622SaturnV0002.JPG (64.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 06-21-2008, 06:48 PM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Hey Phil, I agree with you who knows what might have been. A long time ago i got the chance to see a Saturn V on display in Huntsville AL and man that thing is BIG!! My mother works at the airfores base near where they launch the space shuttle , sometime ago when i went to visit her i got a chance to tour the cape and see all the places they lunch the Saturn V from .
Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 PM

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

^
Ya know Mark,it seem's even more of a pitty because of the plan's to now return man to the moon.It's like,they are over 35 year's behind where they could be if the had kept the Apollo program going.
I for one am really looking forward to that new chapter when it begin's!
Great to hear you have been fortunate enough to see one of the remaining three Saturn's!
Jaw dropping stuff aye?
I also seen the Saturn V launch pad's and a crawler and MLP.There's nothing small about a rocket launch,everthing is just enormous!

Phil
Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 PM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

Hey Phil. Jaw dropping is right when i saw the Saturn V it was laying on its side for display with all the stages just a few feet apart. Man i guess size does matter when it come to something like that.

Mark.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:10 AM

^
Bit like this Mark!

Just how awesome would have it been,to see a Saturn V launch?

Ok,got the blackout's done on the first stage,now the first and second stage's a pretty much ready for the rest of the decals.
Fitted the F1's back into the bottom and put the fin's in,to see how the look.
Glued the main tunnel to the 1b stage and now that need's filling between itself and the tube.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.JPG (27.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_0622SaturnV0004.JPG (360.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_0622SaturnV0005.JPG (339.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_0622SaturnV0006.JPG (471.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

The Saturn V stack, configured for lunar missions, was something like 363 feet tall. Just a bit shorter than a USN Perry-class frigate.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Goldmember

More trivia:

Of the five F1s on the first stage, only the center engine was fixed. The thrust skirts on the outer four engines were gimbaled so that the rocket could be steered.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
The Saturn V stack, configured for lunar missions, was something like 363 feet tall. Just a bit shorter than a USN Perry-class frigate.

Yep,that sure is a nice size rocket,would have loved to seen one standind vertical,think from memory the 1st and 2nd stage's were 33' in diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
More trivia:

Of the five F1s on the first stage, only the center engine was fixed. The thrust skirts on the outer four engines were gimbaled so that the rocket could be steered.

Love the trivia keep it coming!

Phil
Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Goldmember

^ Yup...33'... correct-a-mundo!

The alternating black and white panels aided in having a visual indication of the rotation of the rocket ( its attitude and orientation in flight ) to the ground based cameras.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Hey, she's looking good Phil. I'm gonna have to drop in and have a look soon. Can't believe I missed something that big last time.

AWESOME pic BTW. I knew those engines were big, but that pics really puts things into perspective.

Heck, we could STILL get into space using the Saturn tech. With minimal development costs (the design already exists and is proven reliable) the old firecracker could be de-mothballed and used again. The Russians still use 60's tech don't they?

Question: why is the Shuttle being retired without a direct replacement?

Mike, Oz
Old 06-22-2008, 01:40 AM

^
Ya know,they could build a Saturn again,all the design plan's for everything would still be on file you would think.
It's a tried and tested rocket and with 21 century technologies thrown in,it would be even better than before.I wonder why NASA have not explored this idea,or perhaps they have and cost is cheeper to go the two launch vehicle plan that they will be using?

Still i'd prefer to see the Saturn reborn myself!!!

Phil
Old 06-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Goldmember

Quote:
Question: why is the Shuttle being retired without a direct replacement?
Because:

1. Our leadership seems to lack imagination and drive.

2. Maybe it's a good thing that there's no direct replacement. Perhaps now we can spend the money instead on returning to our heavy-lift technology ( I agree Saturn should be re-used ) and get back in the business of MANNED exploration. We can use Soyuz as a ferry to LEO... just give the Russians cab fare...
Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 AM

Hey Bob,what is the stance from the president ellect nomonies on NASA and Space travel in general?
Last thing we need is a new president who care FA about it and scratch the return plans from NASA's budget!

Phil
Old 06-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Let's just hope Obama is a sci fi fan!

Mike, Oz