Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

I wonder how it would look if the B1 underslung nacelles branched off the top (where they're attached in the A1 design)... Nacelles would probably be... just below the saucer? Pylons would either be longer (to be wide enough), or the nacelles would be "tucked in" tight...

Just idle musings, here. We now return you to your awesome Sentinel build, already in progress...
Old 11-19-2015, 04:39 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
I wonder how it would look if the B1 underslung nacelles branched off the top (where they're attached in the A1 design)... Nacelles would probably be... just below the saucer? Pylons would either be longer (to be wide enough), or the nacelles would be "tucked in" tight...

Just idle musings, here. We now return you to your awesome Sentinel build, already in progress...
Some ideas to think about!

Now back to to our primary progress today - brass deflector tubes are installed in the bow. Also, the outer walls of the primary were fabricated from .080 styrene and glued in place,

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

That looks great!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Swazeet
Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
[...]
Wow. So simple-looking, but I still have a raft of questions:

1) What do you recommend for gluing brass to styrene?
2) What do you use for filling in the gaps between the brass and the styrene? (I'm assuming this is a fairly basic question, and that 90% of the audience just skipped ahead to the next forum, but I've had stuff that worked and stuff that's brittle and fails quickly - I need an expert opinion...)
3) What goes in the brass pipes? (In canon, and in the model...)

Many thanks for the ongoing education-
Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Wow. So simple-looking, but I still have a raft of questions:

1) What do you recommend for gluing brass to styrene?
2) What do you use for filling in the gaps between the brass and the styrene? (I'm assuming this is a fairly basic question, and that 90% of the audience just skipped ahead to the next forum, but I've had stuff that worked and stuff that's brittle and fails quickly - I need an expert opinion...)
3) What goes in the brass pipes? (In canon, and in the model...)

Many thanks for the ongoing education-
1-2) I've been using gap-filling superglue without any issues in bonding brass to styrene. This fills the gap but I will also use the the Tamiya Basic putty as I do on styrene for this. I know glue may flake from the brass as the it's much stiffer than styrene but in this application I don't expect these parts to move much.

3) I really don't know what goes inside the tubes. On the show, these holes were represented as three white illuminated flush-mounted discs. I wanted to do what Cat did on his Miranda as they occupy the same TOS universe. Adding some additional detail to this feature was a great call by Dave. I plan to insert another piece of telescoping brass tube, recessed about 1mm for edge detailing. Dave recommended adding a clear faceted plastic (edit correction: GLASS) gem into each tube about 4 mm and then backlighting with a blue / orange switchable LED for the added choice of color variation.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-20-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:15 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Lovely progress.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 AM
A Poor Widow's Son

137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate the interest in these doodles. And at the moment, that's all they are. I've spent no more than a handful of minutes on these ideas and I would rather see these further developed than have them republished elsewhere if you don't mind. Arielle will be the next project in the pipeline and she's got a long way to go to being finalized.
Most welcome, and totally understand. I eagerly await the finished product!

In the meantime, I took the liberty of compiling views of your Shangri La and Wasp models. I hope you're okay with them. They were just too good-looking to pass up and some of the more imaginative movie-era designs I've seen in a long time.

I got my eye on Shaw's USS Columbia, too...

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; 11-20-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
In the meantime, I took the liberty of compiling views of your Shangri La and Wasp models. I hope you're okay with them. They were just too good-looking to pass up and some of the more imaginative movie-era designs I've seen in a long time.

You know - you really should ASK PEOPLE before you do things like that. Sure, 99 times out of 100 they'll say yes - but to just take them like that..... it's unprofessional on your part.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 AM
A Poor Widow's Son

137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold137th Gebirg is a splendid one to behold

Quite right. Apologies.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:39 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Most welcome, and totally understand. I eagerly await the finished product!

Thanks 137th. I have seen those compositions. I did a more recent compilation of the Shangri-La. I think yours shows a bow view still in primer. Here is the link for the Shangri-La ortho:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...pshr8jsjcw.jpg

I have yet to do a finalized version for Wasp but I'll let you know when that's done. Please feel free to use these if you'd like.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've got plenty of bones. Some actually have meat on them.

My Essex (cloud concept) may merge certain elements into the Arielle concept - which began as a variant of the Wasp - and will take on an additional function of reutilizing a 350 Reliant hull (Don S). That's a lot of pot stirring but eventually this will all boil down to hopefully something good. I can almost taste it.

Without hijacking too much of the Sentinel thread, I attached some VERY EARLY napkin doodles of Arielle:

Arielle will be declassified as a SCIENCE vessel. I'm still playing around with pylon configurations and overall hull shape in trying to blend the Miranda primary. Yes, that is a AWACS dome on B1. The warp engines would be custom designed as well.
Bill, if I might ask, what did you draw these in? I'm currently taking the second class of four for AutoCAD at my local community college and was wondering if you used something similar.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Melder View Post
Bill, if I might ask, what did you draw these in? I'm currently taking the second class of four for AutoCAD at my local community college and was wondering if you used something similar.
Aaron, I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to do my 2D work - so, not exactly what an engineer would use. I wish I knew how to use a 3D drafting program. Some of the above 'garbage' comps are nothing more than cut and paste images I found online of starship hulls (Reliant in particular) for a quick mock-up of shapes in scale. The top view is one of mine - from Wasp, and the engine in B1 is a quickie photoshop illustration. For really nice orthos, I'm using Illustrator (CC15) - which is vector and can be scaled infinitely.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Aaron, I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to do my 2D work [...] For really nice orthos, I'm using Illustrator (CC15) - which is vector and can be scaled infinitely.
Illustrator: my all-time favorite program, bar none. Wish I could find a 3D equivalent (even Sketchup is beyond my skills, at least in terms of producing printable items...)

Last edited by SCI-FI; 11-20-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:34 AM

Shaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant future

Quote:
No worries with me, I'd be honored!