Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Resin Illuminati's Hall of Fame

Resin Illuminati's Hall of Fame Builds in this section are at least three years old and have been recognized by RI members as being especially noteworthy.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:25 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/350th A6E Intruder, Finished

Well, I came across a model of a plane that I once had a kit of but lost during a move. So eager to get a chance to finally build one when combined with an amazing price of $1.25 brand new in sealed box caused me to leap into the unknown. Upon inspection I found a Chinese made injection molded kit that rivals the oldest Airfix or Matchbox offerings for lack of details and a poor resin kit for thickness of pieces? But undaunted I located a PE upgrade kit that would replce the nonexistant cockpit, extended flaps, wingtip amd fuselage airbrakes along with more to scale landing gear doors and such. Even the PE frets are kinda sparse but they're certainly more than the kit offered? A really sad starting point for detail freaks but the basic contours are still identifiable as an A6-E Intruder so I'm gonna see what can be made of it. So follow along in an act of futility if you so choose?

Shots of everything in the kit except the landing gear and canopy! Alongside are the PE frets with the cockpit tub already bent up and prepainted. The kit had NO cockpit details so even ejector seats will need to be scratched but the PE provides the framing for them.

A shot showing how much of the nearly "solid" inner body had to be removed to make way for the tub.

Don't worry about my other WIPs, this is just a minor diversion and I don't plan to spend too long on it. The addition of the PE and paint is about all this kit "deserves"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0005.jpg (1.15 MB, 25 views)

Last edited by DarthDuck; 08-23-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: title
Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: A Sow's Ear- WIP

Don,
Looks like another one of those kits that shouldn't look good,but somehow ya find away to put some damn fine realism in.
Let's see what ya do with this one me feathered mate!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:14 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

You are one brave water fowl, that's all i can say. Best o' luck me duck billed buddy...

you may need it

I know you got no prob with PE stuff, the plastic bits may cause some problems though.

Go easy ya maniac!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:44 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

That's what I love about this place! One of us announces he's going to go play in traffic and all he receives is encouragement and the sage advice to "never mind the cars, look out for trucks!"

Thank you gents now follow along as my patience gets tested!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

BTW gents, this is sorta of what I'm going for. Flaps down, airbrakes deployed and such which the PE will allow me to do.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Got the ejector seats done up. Some styrene filed toshape and tucked between the PE assy. and that was that. Pictured alongside the airframe with cockpit tub in place now. Need to fashion up the forward coaming above the dash which needs to be set in still. Kinda moving along. The PE is the only thing salvaging this kit? Forgive the pic quality but somehow even macro mode isn't pulling anything in?

Comments, questions, critique to help, always welcomed! Or perhaps a nice hot cappucino?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
the many faces one

Moorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond repute

that 72 scale? is that a resin kit or something? if it was 48, i have a few bits from a kit that came to me scrap.
displaying member of http://www.avenuewestgallery.org/
www.moorcatarts.com
Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorcat View Post
that 72 scale? is that a resin kit or something? if it was 48, i have a few bits from a kit that came to me scrap.

Thanks very much Moorcat but it's an odd scale or I'd have something or another to help it along too? That old kit I "lost" was 48th and I really miss it. Like I said, at this price I thought I'd at least have 'something' like an Intruder again, finally? Oh, and it should have been a resin kit cause then many of it's features would be more understandable. Oh well, sometimes you work with Ya got, huh?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:10 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Alrighty then. Fashioned up the front coaming, placed the instrument panel in (with contrasting guages), joystick, ejector seats and painted the surrounds. Considering this whole area was 'solid' body below the canopy I do feel it's a vast improvement although even the 'details' are kinda bland compared to what is usually seen in a cockpit nowadays? But it's in there, it looks the part and from three feet it will pass! Maybe I should subtitle the thread,"Saga of the three-footer?"

Comments, advice and feedback always welcomed!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

WELL FRICK!

I just fit the kit canopy on and it clashed with the seats? They're not too high, the canopy was too thick since there was never anything under it before? So, out came the Dremel, sandpaper and polish which I'm still doing. So far, this is the single most frustrating thing but eventually I'll get through it and then sometime later I'll get over it!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

After hacking off the trailing edges of the wings the PE extended flaps and wingtip airbrakes were added. Wings were added and here it sits. Next onto the undercarriage. The featureless bird is gaining some character now.

Comments and feedback always appreciated.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 PM
the many faces one

Moorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond reputeMoorcat has a reputation beyond repute

where did the PE come from...does it have a scale? looking at the letters in the background, it is 144? you need any pics from me or OOT? we have some of them turds, er, I mean birds. um...whistling shitcans we called em.
displaying member of http://www.avenuewestgallery.org/
www.moorcatarts.com
Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorcat View Post
where did the PE come from...does it have a scale? looking at the letters in the background, it is 144? you need any pics from me or OOT? we have some of them turds, er, I mean birds. um...whistling shitcans we called em.
I was hoping to at least get it into paint before divulging that it's a White Ensign Models PE set made for the Trumpeter 1/350th A6E Intruders. Of course the PE set is actually meant to detail the carrier Nimitz's air group and you get things like deck tractors and bomb dollies along with the plane details. You also get examples of this plane in the carrier kit but this came from a 6-pack sold to supplement your air wing if you choose. When I said it's about 1.25 for the "kit", that's because they retail for around 8.00 for a box of six.

So I was having fun detailing up a lil plane that comes with an aircraft carrier model! It's been interesting for sure! When I hogged out the fuselage to drop the cockpit tub in I came within a fraction of a millimeter of breaking through the plastic. It's actually an amazing detailing set. I'm currently working on the underframe details and will share those shortly.
Oh, and that's also why try as I might I can't pull focus to get any close in shots to show the actual detail? Trying to display a cockpit of a 1/350th bird is beyond my 'technology'.
What kind of pics do you have to share?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

GOOD LORD!!!!

Somebody get my spectacles! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... that is one tiny mutha!!! And it is looking FANTASTIC!!!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 08-17-2008, 12:38 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Well thank yee Kurt! Um, yeah, I need specs and an optivisor and I'm still squinting?

Here's the buildup parts I outlined above.

Something for a size comparison.

And bending a PE landing gear bay door-

It's been fun so far but the thought of an entire airwing with at least fifty detailed aircraft sounds like,,,,um,,,,well,,,,even more fun!