Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default UNCF Nautilus - 1/1000

Well to get back into sci fi a bit, while also still working on the Do 335, I decided to pull out a Bandai Dreadnought from SBY 2202.

These are great kits, and normally just fall together. I'm sure if I was doing this OOB I'd be in paint already. But I'm not. Taking some inspiration from Do-Do, I've giving my variant a little stretch to lengthen the hull. I'll also be reworking the belly scoop to make it larger and more angular like the forward scoop under the bow.

I also have a nozzle from a 1/48 SR-71 that will replace the kit part. It's just slightly larger in diameter than the hull. And I may add some more smal guns around to fill out the armament suite.

First up is the lovely box art!

Then the sprue pile.

The first order of buziness was to remove the little knobs from here. The upper blisters go over those, and they will be replaced with metal tube.

A little detour to slice the hull halves in two...

Then back to removing interior plastic from the blisters, to keep the metal rods from being fouled. They won't be too long, but in case they are...

And the stretch...

I don't know what color I'll go with yet, but I'm leaning towards the Alderbaran's.

Til the next update, model on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNCF Nautilus - 001.JPG (457.1 KB, 2 views)

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/

Last edited by Tiberious; 09-12-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:57 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: UNCF Nautilus - 1/1000

Alright, another update. While waiting for the CA to dry on a tough seam on the Do335, I hit the Nautilus with a hammer. No, wait, some drill bits. I drilled the holes for the rod that will replace those 'knobs.' Real glad I bought that new drill bit set!

Rolling the metal rod under the sharp edge of a hobby knife produced eight of these.

That were then pushed in and settled with a tiny bit of CA.

And with the top piece and blisters in place.

And here we see my snafu. While cutting the top deck in two, the dremel slipped the wrong way as I was grouting out some thick plastic from the inside. I have decided to keep it however, and place some detail part in there.

And my second snafu... While snipping the dorsal bow fin from the sprue, I wasn't paying attention and I cut into the part. So out came some scrap styrene, CA and accelerator.

And finally, the floor for whatever detail I put into the new hole in the deck...

More to come, just not so soon as the last. Model on!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Very nice work there Thom. I know where your inspiration is coming from and I have to say, you are a braver man than me at doing the hull lengthening! But your pulling it off nicely so far, so keep at it!
I have this kit as well and I shall be beginning on it later, but I've just started the Andromeda, so first things first. Which route are you going to take with the rear nav lights? That's going to be the hardest thing for me I think. You can either do the sandwiched clear plastic fins with the red and green SMDs either side or have a single white SMD at the base of the fun and still using the sandwiched clear plastic fin but each side painted green and red respectively

Last edited by Madhatter; 09-15-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:57 PM

Thank you, Mad!! Love your work on the Yuunagi.

However, there will be no lighting in this kit. I've thought about it every now and then, but I never decide to do it. Maybe someday...

As to stretching, it's not as difficult as you think. Especially after the first cut, then you're committed!

I'll be doing more work on it and the Do335 this weekend, so hope to have more updates soon. The hull should be all back together anyway.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:15 PM

The hull is not together yet...

A little more work done on the Nauty The hull spacers are in place. They are just scrap from an old kit.

The main deck is going to be changed. I have some clapboard styrene with far thinner lines and looking more in scale for a deck. I could do it simpler to and just fill in the grooves and make is a smooth deck. I still might...

Here is the stern and the bow section. That middle piece is the battery box, and that allows these parts to just slide together. It will also make the mid-hull stretch a bit easier.

This is about as far as the stretch there is going to be, and that's dictated by the tamper proof ring taken from a juice bottle. It's already bent and should make the curve around the engine nacelle easier.

All for now. Model on!