Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 06-18-2014, 05:03 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default 1/35 BR52 - Germany's WW2 Work horse

Hi guys

Well, I thought I would share my latest project here as well as my own blog and 2 other sites - just for shits and giggles. I've been at this now for a couple of months and all Ii have to say about this kit is that every bad thing you may have read about it are 100% true - it's got more sink holes than Torri Spelling's plastic surgery and requires a shit load of work to make it look like it's supposed too.
Anyways, I bought the Eduard Big Ed PE set, 1mm hex rod from Plastrut, some 1/35th scaled coal (yes - there is such a thing!), the RB models brass buffers and some other bits and pieces to make this thing look like a BR52. I also have the LZ resin "upgrade" set which has some handy things in it like oil and power boxes. nicely detailed sand taps and cabin details. Some of the parts are way over sized for the job and won't be used and some things I can't locate where they go as the instructions are some what lacking in description. It's like he ran out of mojo while setting it up half way through.
So, first up, I decided to make the tender first to get me into the swing of things. As I have never built a steam engine before, it was a great way to learn the weathering techniques I'd need to create a suitably aged machine. I'm actually pretty happy with how my efforts turned out.
There are literally about 200 pics so far, so I won't post all of them but if your interested, you can view the whole lot on my Photophucket account

Work began by detailing the tender frame with missing nuts etc. I had to redo some parts as I wasn't accurate with the placement and some I have left there because Ii think it adds to the overall effect:

then my very first attempt at rusting using the frame supports as test subjects:

the wheels were next:

Then I began the frame:

I'll have part 2 up shortly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoxArt_zpsbf6f4978.jpg (87.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Madhatter; 08-24-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:09 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1/35 BR52 - Germanies WW2 Work horse

from here, the frame was finished and the WIF camo scheme was applied:

More to come....
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 AM

Now it was time to weather it. This was quite fun and I learnt a lot about blending colours:

Then I had an accident with some super thin super glue - made the biggest run mark ever - but fortunately it was up front and easily fixed - not down the sides. I still haven't repainted that part yet and is on my to do list this weekend (hopefully)

Next part will be where I am up to now which is the start of the main engine and frame work etc
Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 AM

oil lines added:

A LOT of hex rod has been used so far and the is more to use yet:

the boiler has gone together and some of the LZ parts are now employed:

Trumpeter seemed to have missed a lot of details as well, so I am having a go at scratch building lots of bits and pieces:

I placed these taps on the bottom in the wrong place and I had filed off the supports for the hand wheels, so they have been replaced my scratch built ones:

These are the tiniest pieces and are a bitch to get on:

And finally, the steam cylinders have been started. I still have to add some missing details but I'll get there...eventually. I scratched up the little valves (or what ever they are) on the front of the cylinders where the wires go into. You'll understand more once I update my photos

And where I am at now: electrical work! I've added some shielding to the front lights as they are present on my reference machine:

Well, that's all I have for now. I'll be back again next week once I have done something on it. I still only get to work on this 3 days a week so updates won't be frequent

Thanks for looking
MH

Last edited by Madhatter; 06-18-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:52 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Magnificent weathering!!

A friend of mine is into HO scale trains,and I've spent a lot of time
crawling around trains as they took photos for their projects.

Your weathering of the under-carriage/frame is spot on!

Fabulous work on all the hand placed nuts too!

Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding work. Well done.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 AM

thanks guys -glad to know I got the weathering right.
Hopefully, the rest of the engine will go just as well.
I've got the K5 rail gun to go behind it - although I think that'll be a while away yet from being built
MH
Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 AM

Greetings everyone

Well, work continues very slowly and tonight, I have finally finished the steam cylinders - well, at least 95% of them - I still need to fit the overflow pipes down the bottom but I'll wait until later to do those as I'll probably break them before long. It took longer than I thought because of the extra work that had to go into it, but I am pretty happy with how they've come out.

The lead wire is the hardest stuff to work with sometimes - it just doesn't want to stick to the plastic. I have removed the brass pipes and bent them where they should be bent, drilled out some really small resin nuts and re-fitted them through the center to make them much more sturdy and less likely to break off - like I did a few times before. I am a slow learner some times.....

I really want to start painting the inside of the frame but it's so cold here the man cave is more like a fridge. I really should stop moaning like a little princess and just suck it up and do it....

They are by no means a work of art but I do think they look better than the OOB version in my humble opinion.

Well, that's all for now. I'll be starting the cab very shortly but I want to tidy up a few things on the frame before I do - like the front air hose connectors etc.

As always, thanks for stopping in

Till next time....

MH
Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 PM

greetings and salutations citizens of the world!

I spent a fair few hours on the drivers cab last night - filing off the piping and sorting out what resin stuff I'll need/use and attaching PE bits and bobs here and there.
I also decided to redo the floor as the Trumpeter one just doesn't look like wood. So, what's better than a wood look - real wood! So, it was off down to the local art store to buy a narrow sheet of 1mm balsa wood

I used kit part as a template and cut the shape out of thinner sheet styrene. I thin cut the balsa into narrow strips, again using the kit part as a guide to the size of the planks.
Once the strips were cut, I cut them all in irregular places to give them a more natural look when they were laid down.
The only concern I have now is how to weather balsa wood with out it completely soaking up a wash and it completely loosing it's nice natural colour. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

I won't get much more done tonight as I have a club committee meeting but I will endeavor to get more plumbing done.

Thanks for tuning in
MH
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

I.
Will.
Be.
In.
My.
BUNK!!! fap fap fap fap fap

Out-freaking-standing! The detail you've added, and the weathering on the undercarriage is fantastic! It certainly resembles all the photos I have seen of well-used locomotives of that era. I cannot WAIT to see this finished! Get a move on!

I come from a railroading family, but my dad was an age of diesel railroad man. My grandfather, who could have told you a thing or six about steam has gone to that Great Switching Yard In The Sky, and we don't have any of the family photos from that era.

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Thanks bud, greatly appreciated
Unfortunately, I still only get to build 3 nights a week, so progress is slow
I have to admit, I was never an anorak for trains but have always appreciated the engineering involved, although more with diesels, high speed electric and mag-lev engines. Doing this build is giving me more of an appreciation of the old steamers.
Speaking of which, I have managed to sneak in a couple of hours over the course of the week and have filed off the moulded on pipes that run along the side which I will replace with brass rod. I'll have some more pics up in a couple of days
Thanks again
MH
Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 PM

Time for a quick update
I have almost finished detailing the cab - I still have a few things left to add, but that'll be done once the floor is painted and attached to the back wall.

I've also detailed the walls - both inside and out - although the outside isn't much more than adding some hand rails. I would love to add some raised rivet heads, but I don't have any, so it'll have to go without.

And lastly, I have bitten the proverbial bullet and filed off the piping that ran along the side and have replaced them with brass. It looks much more natural now that before. I still have to add the holders etc, but that will come in due course. I also broke off 2 of the sand tap handles, in a small accident so not sure how to fix that...

Well, that's all for now. I'll do some more work on it tonight and hopefully post an update again tomorrow - if I get anything worth while done!

Thanks for stopping in

MH
Old 06-29-2014, 11:05 PM

well I tried a new trick of using shoe polish to color the wood, and I must admit, it's exactly what I was hoping for - a good, rich natural base color

The back of the floor doesn't look as dark and that's because that's where I started to use CA to seal the wood before I gave up on that idea and sealed it with a flat coat. I'm not worried about the discoloration because it'll be weathered with coal dust and mud, so you won't even notice it.

Both of these items will look a bit better with some weathering which I'll do once the polish has hopefully dried. I'll seal it all in with a flat coat of enamel which all being well won't screw it up. It'll also help ensure that the paint will adhere to the plastic to once I get to it.

MH
Old 06-30-2014, 03:19 AM

hi all

As of now, I am putting this away for a little bit. Not because I have cracked the shits with it or anything like that - it's just that I just can't hold back the urge to start on another 2199 ship any longer. It's screaming at me to build it, so I have to silence it by doing exactly what it wants me to do. Just like listening to the wife......

Once it's done and I've satisfied the monster (the kit - not the wife) I'll resume this build.

Besides, I did say this might take a while

Thanks everyone

MH
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Wow fantastic work MH! I love the details!