Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 09-29-2014, 05:58 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/35 BR52 - Germany's WW2 Work horse

Can't wait for the slappage of paint!!!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

me either! I got the pre-shading down in the areas of shadow and grime build up (not along every seam you can find) and got ready to start the painting only to find I'd run out of masking tape. So I haven't managed to do any painting as I'd hoped - although I did do the doors!

The biggest challenge will be the vinyl sand lines. Not only have I heard they are horrendous to attach but also, I'm asking myself how the heck I'm going to paint them! I'm debating with myself whether or not to attach them now and paint them in with the main boiler etc or wait until the boiler is attached to the frame and paint the lines separately then attach them.
Decisions decisions ....
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Um...yes?

Dude, this is freaking FANTASTIC!!!

Where'd you find all the nifty detail info on the undercarriage? Those pics of your modifications are stunning! Got me wanting to build one.

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:13 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Thanks bud, it's greatly appreciated. The detail for the chassis is all found on the walk around pics on Prime Portal (I'll add a link when I get on PC)
I say build one brother, but if you do, be prepared to do a lot of work on it. Even if you went OOB, there is a lot of cleaning. Up to do. Mold shift is prominent in pretty much every single one of the 790 odd parts and ere are sink marks everywhere there shouldn't be. But don't let that put you off as it's a great subject and looks the part when it's done. Hopefully mine will turn out OK. So far, I am very happy with how it's turning out.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 PM

greetings everyone

Well, after a few days solid of masking, painting, waiting for paint to dry, masking, painting and then the same process over again one more time, the first coat of paint is on and now you can see the scheme I had in mind.

I know some will not like it and that's fine - it won't suit everyone, but I personally really like it

There are a fair few fix ups to take care of but that'll happen soon enough. I also need to reattach bits that came off during the masking process.

Bear in mind, this is not weathered - it's just the base coats. I'll weather it accordingly once it's all together.

I also need to finish off painting the steam cylinders and I should do that tonight.

Anyway, enough talking, here's the pics:

As you can see, the end of the line (pun intended :P ) is not too far away - but yet far enough to keep me busy for a while yet.

Any and all input is always greatly received.

Till next time

MH
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Only input here is that it's fantastic!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 AM

Thanks Neb the fix up work is yet to begin, but it should be easy enough.
For a first for me, I am looking forward to weathering this kit (I normally dread it but this time, it's working well - just got to keep up the standard and be consistent)
Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

I like the camo. I think if I did one, I'd do it in post-War black, with the red wheels, though. Something about that livery calls to me.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 AM

Fair enough too. I don't mind the overall black and red wheels, but that's what a lot of other people do too

Well, I've made a solid start on the chassis ready to put the wheels and so forth on. Most of this weathering won't be seen and will be dulled down a bit before the final flat coat goes on.

I've been looking at pictures of engines and I've done what I've seen on a few operational engines - although some I really don't know how they kept on going as they were in such disrepair.

I've gone for a well used and hard worked engine that's been sitting out for a while. At least, I hope that's what I'll get..

Pics of where I am up to:

Most of the weathering will be blended in with a coat of track dirt and won't be seen (hopefully)

Tell me what you think. Don't be shy. If it's very wrong now is the time to fix it

MH
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM
My ass is itchy...

Looks very real to me----love how the rivets pop out with a slightly lighter tone. The subtle rust. Some folks go bezerk when they learn how to weather----to the point it looks like a mottled mess.

Not here though. I've always been a staunch advocate of "model what you see". Don't weather just because you can. I've seen hundreds of Steam loco pics and I think it's dead nuts on.

My 2 cents....

Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 PM

And your 2 Cents is highly valued in my store Neb - thanks bud :

Well, another post to add to the last one - I was too tired last night to take these

After looking at a fair few images of this area, I have decided to take the harder option and challenge myself with a rust job - a realistic one. Of course, my skills aren't quite there yet, but I enjoyed the challenge and think it came out looking like it should - well, to my eyes anyways

Well, that's it for this week most likely - unless I get some serious work done tonight - which at this point seems unlikely.

Please do feel free to offer constructive critique - I'll never learn to get any better if no one shares their views.

Thanks again

MH
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 AM

Excellent work on the weathering, Madhatter. That looks FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 PM

well, it;s a small update this week. I haven't had a lot of time to do anything but arrange and execute my child's birthday party. Fortunately, it went well and I still have my sanity.
As for the build -well, as I said - not a lot of movement - but I have finished the base painting and underside weathering. The frame still needs a touch up here and there to dull out the over rusted areas
Tonight, I will mate the boiler tot he chassis - so we'll see how that goes.

Here's where I am up to currently:

In that last picture, you can see where I have lightly rusted it, but I will dull that down some and around the axle surrounds etc on the chassis - clearly evident in the second to last picture.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll be back again later
Till then
MH
Old 10-28-2014, 04:36 AM

Well, whilst the following is a small update in terms of photos, the work involved is a different story.

'll start with the walking boards that run the length of the boiler. It's all PE and it's been a PITA getting it to go together. Mind you - I am a novice when it comes to working with PE, so I think I can be forgiven for the profanities that came out during the build process.

I primed it Tamiya White, then a spray of Semi-gloss black, then Alclad Aluminum, then some spots of Durilium then some pale burned metal and then lastly some spots and lines of gun metal to make it look like it had just been banged together and weld-burn marks are evident. It's been semi-gloss coated to protect it and I am about to go into the shed to give it another black coat and then I'll wear it down so it'll look bette3r than just straight silver underneath.

Then I spent the large portion of Sunday night, Monday day sorting out those friggin awful vinyl sand pipes. Again, it was a case of Primer, paint, clear coat then paint. I kinda wasted my time really doing the metallic underneath because these pipes didn't get knocked around at all but they did catch a lot of crud in behind etc - so that'll be something to weather later.

Getting them to stick to the actual engine was surprisingly easy using good ol' super glue. I've read some horror stories about that part and it was something I was dreading - but I needn't have worried. I'll add the taps at the end of the build - along with a few other trinkety things that will easily break. All sub assemblies are now being put together and painted separately

And at long last - the wheels are on and it really does look like an engine now! Yay!

Quite the maze of pipes and so on in that last shot. Since taking these pics, I have added the cabin doors and the back of the cab. All the tape etc has been removed and it looks good! I am so happy with how this engine has come out so far Its a personal best for me. Hopefully, the K5 will come out just as good - although not as weathered as they weren't very dirty.

I reckon I am not very far away from the end. I still have the flak gun to build yet - but that'll come soon enough

Thanks for stopping in and looking. As always, please - if you have any constructive feed back - please drop a line

MH
Old 10-29-2014, 12:12 AM

Feedback--not sure how constructive, but, DAY-YUM!!! That looks GREAT!!!

The vinyl air lines...did you think about replacing them with wire of suitable diameter? Just thinking it might have been easier to work with than vinyl tubing, is all.

And, another thing...WHY did the Germans, for that matter, all European locomotive manufacturers, use such small-diameter boilers on their steam locos? Were they that much more efficient than American boilers, that they could get away with the smaller diameter? Or was it that their trains were much lighter than the typical American haul?

Last edited by Lord Darth Beavis; 10-29-2014 at 12:14 AM.