Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Wonderfest, Past, Present, and Future!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:38 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All
Default Regarding Wonderfest 2010

Ok....bare with me on this please.

So...I'm am thinking I might want to try to make WF next year.

Being that I haven't been on a "real" vacation in over 7 years (I know...).....what would be a "decent" budget for the weekend??? Things like room rates, admission, ect....
$500...$800???? More....Less????

Depending on how my next big project turns out, I'm thinking on even bring it and tossing it in the contest. Is that something extra?

This is also assuming that I won't be coming home with a trunk full of new toys.....but, who knows??

I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but like I said, it's been a while since I've taken a vacation.

Any info / recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 06-20-2009, 04:52 PM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regarding Wonderfest 2010

figure 300 for the room for 3 days, unless you split with someone.

if you want early bird admission, that's 50 but that's for the whole weekend. that needs to be in cash

Most dealers take checks or plastic, but you may want to bring another 300 in cash in case you run into someone who doesn't. although I don't know what kits you may be looking for, there wasn't any single "gotta have it" kit released last year.

If you collect autographs, they want cash and it's usually 20 per.

entries are 5.50 for the first three, (I think)

food can be gotten off premises a lot cheaper than eating in. Beverages can be bought at the bar or you can stock a cooler in your room.

all in all A healthy credit card and 400 should get you most of what you need
Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

If you're looking for a good, shore-leave kinda vacation, you'll be going to the right place.

Hotel - figure at most ~$100 per night, less if you share your room.

Food - there are a number of regular eatin' houses nearby. The hotel food isn't bad - the breakfast buffet is great. It's a bit pricey but not exhorbitant. Breakfast IIRC was around $11 - worth it to me so I didn't have to leave the hotel, and thus be away from tha guys.

Dealer rooms - all kinds of pretty in there - bring whatever you feel like spending.

It's a nominal fee for contest entries. I can't remember what but it wasn't bad.

Days there - next year I plan to get there Thursday evening...staying Thu, Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. There was a hell of a lot of socializing happening Thursday evening and I don't wanna miss it next year!

Bottom line: not including travel to/from, you can have a great time for ~ $750.

Raising hell with fellow RI members: PRICELSS!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM
JAFO

PakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of AllPakRatJR Overlord Master of All

hehe.....Priceless.....Nice

Thanks guys.

I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do about the "budget" for the dealer area. LOL

But your info so far is appreciated.
I think as long as I can start saving up NOW, I should have enough for next year.

I am already working up a plan.....just a matter of how well I can stick to it

I read through the pictures post from their and remember someone posting about rules for the contest entries??
Considering what won, I imagine their aren't too many? but assume their are at least some basic ones????
Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakRatJR View Post
hehe.....Priceless.....Nice

Thanks guys.

I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do about the "budget" for the dealer area. LOL

But your info so far is appreciated.
I think as long as I can start saving up NOW, I should have enough for next year.

I am already working up a plan.....just a matter of how well I can stick to it

I read through the pictures post from their and remember someone posting about rules for the contest entries??
Considering what won, I imagine their aren't too many? but assume their are at least some basic ones????
If you stash away $20 a week.....you're golden.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
If you stash away $20 a week.....you're golden.
hehe..thanks, I think that would be something that might actually work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
What ever you think you'll spend, double it.
Hmmm....I'd better start with at least $50 a week I think

Thanks
Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Wolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant futureWolvster has a brilliant future

And even more important, you want some
LIQUID REFRESHMENT in the Eveinings ????

BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE !!!!!!

People stayed AWAY from the " new " Hotel
Bar in DROVES for their INSANE prices !!!

I had ONE, ONE Rum and Coke.. SMALL damn glass
at that, and nearly had a heart attack when the honey
behind the bar said $ 7.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Oh yeah!

Fuck the bar - drink in the suites!

BYOB - Share and Enjoy!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvster View Post
And even more important, you want some
LIQUID REFRESHMENT in the Eveinings ????

BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE !!!!!!

People stayed AWAY from the " new " Hotel
Bar in DROVES for their INSANE prices !!!

I had ONE, ONE Rum and Coke.. SMALL damn glass
at that, and nearly had a heart attack when the honey
behind the bar said $ 7.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!

I will DEFIANTLY be bringing a cooler wow..
Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Thanks for all the info guys!

It doesn't sound as expensive as I originally thought.

Me and the wife are planning to attend WF '10.She's agreed
to step into "my world" for the weekend.

Hopefully,things won't change (job,finances,...) between
now and then.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 PM
It's gonna get real now.

You're damn right you're going, U-Boater.....

If you don't I swear by Doenitz' ass I'll take a shit thru your main induction valve!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:51 PM
JAFO

Hey U-boater,

Those are my thoughts here also.....at least on the job and funds part anyway. (I'm not married...lol)

I'm thinking, as long as I'm able to keep a decent budget plan going, it should be doable for me.

So.....see ya their???

And Cat....

DEFINATLY will do..

Last edited by PakRatJR; 06-20-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

My suggestion for a bare minimum at the Louisville/the hotel: $500. That'll cover your room, food and booze. Especially if you bring along a cooler, stop at a grocery store and get sammich and breakfast fixin's and allows for a dinner or three at the hotel or nearby restaurant. And again, this only covers while you're in Louisville, not the gettin' there part.

Somewhere, I put together a pretty decent lil' "primer" for WF. I'll dig around and see if I can find it, then post it in this thread.....

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
JAFO

Thanks Griff.
My cooler will defiantly be stocked. I'll probably end up with two....one for food and one for beverages

That primer would be great if you could find it
Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Well, I can't seem to find it. Searched thru several threads here and on other forums, but No Joy.

The gist, is that it can indeed be done on a fairly tight budget - or a budget that allows you to spend more in the Dealers Room. After thinking on it some more, you can easily do the basic WonderFest - doesn't include what you'd spend at the Dealers Room - on even as little as $250 to $300, roughly.

The rooms usually run around $96 or so a night. If you get two roommates, you'll be able to split the cost three ways, obviously, which breaks down to $96 plus the cost of a rollaway ($20 a night, this year), which I recommend to split amongst the three folks in the room, as it only seems fair, IMNSHO. So, you're looking at roughly $120-ish, with tax. If you do like most of the rest of us do, tho, and stay four nights, you're looking at roughly $150-ish, total.

Food at the hotel can be a bit pricey, but is still fairly reasonable, IMNSHO. The Breakfast Buffet is the Shiznit, IMNSHO, at roughly $10 to $12. You can load the food on your plate as many trips as you can make and it runs from something like 7am 'til 10:30am. They do french toast and omlets to-order. Sandiwches for lunch are around $8, but the only burger they had for the lunch menu this year was a double meat/cheese, which included french fries. For hotel or even restaurant fair, it was pretty good and not badly priced. The other meals are about the same, as well. You're also paying for the convenience of staying at the hotel and not having to drive several minutes to/from someplace else to eat.

Obviously, bringing a cooler just for food is a pretty good idea. There are ice machines on each floor and most are pretty conveniently located. Sammich stuff (meat, cheese, bread, chips) plus breakfast stuff - half gallon of milk and cereal, plus your own bolws/plastic wear - shouldn't run you more than $40 for four days or so, at the most, right? I mean, unless you're a pig eater like me I guess.

There's also the Anti-Banquet (SPASM, as it's called over at Starship Modeler) - a meal that a bunch of us schedule outside of the hotel Sunday night. It's one of those Non-Events that started out when folks didn't want to go to the official WF Banquet. In the past, we've gone to Smokey Bones, a pretty decent steak and BBQ place. This year, however, was a complete and total disaster and I don't think we'll be going there again next year. They were the only place we could find that would do reservations, however, so I don't know how that'll play out next year. Anyhow, that runs you standard restaurant prices of around $18 to $25, depending on what you order.

Me, I go for the convenience of the restaurant for lunch and whatever The Group decides for dinner. This year we ate out for lunch at least twice, had dinner out twice and ate all breakfasts and other meals in the hotel restaurant.

Drinks at the bar, as Wolvster already mentioned, are a bit unreasonable. When they had the old lounge, the prices weren't too high, IMNSHO. I think most mixed drinks were around $5, beer was ~$3 for tap/bottle domestics and more expensive liquors weren't much more than mixed drinks. This new lounge, tho? Crazy! Bring your own!

We had a mish-mash of alky-haul in the suite this year, with several of us bringing a variety of stuff - Black Velvet, Glenfiddich, Jim Beam, beers of various brand/nationality and even some wine. We also made three Booze Runs, as there were several of us who had cars and wanted to make sure the suite was well stocked. For the most part, in the suite we just ask that you help yourself to whatever you might want , but also expect you to at least bring something if you plan to do a lot of drinking. So, if you're a heavy drinker, please bring some of your own or maybe give one of us in the suite some funds and we'll make sure we have some of your favorite libation after the next Booze Run.

BTW, we also had bottled water - at least two cases! - and plenty of different kinds of soda. I brought two different coolers, myself. One had beer and water, the other was the sodas and some water.

As already mentioned, the Dealers Room pass - which also gets you in to the Demo's and special events rooms - was $50 for the Early Birds pass. That gets you in to the DR from 8am to 10am - two hours before it opens up to General Passes. IMNSHO, it's well worth it just to be able to do a fairly casual stroll thru w/o having to jostle against lots of other folks. Doubly so if you're not fond of large crowds. Otherwise, the standard two-day pass is about $35 or $40, as I recall.

Now, spending in the Dealers Room is totally up to you. I dropped ~$300 in the first fifteen minutes in the DR this year. Crazy insane! It's easy to do, tho! Altogether, I prolly dropped a total of $850 to $1,000, upon retrospect. What I got this year:

* Recieved a copy of each of the new books from Jackill's! (free!)
* From Timeslip Creations: NuGalactica (my second) and Valkyrie ($220+)
* Nine different 1/2500 scale ships from SciFi Skunkwerks - kewel Fed, Klingon and Romulan ships ($185)
* New stuff from Gizmotron - D-4 from ENT, Daran-class frigate and the Klingon/Bajoran military freighter (~$100)
* 1/350 scale TNS Mk II Vipers from Gizmotron ($15?)
* Bunch of different items from Starship Modeler from the WAVE line ($100+)
* JT Graphics sheets of the TNS BSG Pegasus, Berzerk and Valkyrie ($40?)
* Some older Transformers for my kids ($50)
* Laserfire Creations acrylic deflector shield displays and a kewel USS Enterprise plaque in clear ($50?)
* Window clingies from Timeslip Creations ($12?)
* Day of the Dead t-shirt ($25)
* Doctor Who logo and Art Asylum TOS Phaser from CultTVman ($40)
* SR Spicer Prototypes Mon Cal cruiser ($180?)
* SSC Christopher Columbus (Leif Ericson type - for $150?)

So, it's fairly easy if you've got the cash on-hand to blow a good sized chunk of change in the DR. MUCH too easy!

And there you go. I'm spent.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!