Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 12-21-2020, 03:57 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God
Default Revell 1/12th '69 Z-28 Camaro OOB build.

Just something simple to build. Just me, the kit, tools, paints and that's about it. No photo etch, no 3D printed or resin parts, no extra wiring/piping or that kinda thing. Only real change will be a specific licence plate that I will sort out as and when I get to that point.

So to business...the box...

Now this can be built as the Foose custom or stock. My one will be stock, in orange with white stripes as that's my fave livery for this car. So in short order format...
Engine built using only the supplied parts. Standard slap together and paint. Tamiya spray for the engine block colour, Vallejo acrylics for the rest with Tamiya clear blue and Smoke to punch up the chrome parts.

Nice enough and won't really be seen that much anyway so all good.

Air cleaner. Just matt black and drybrushed german grey for the surround. Buff with a sepia wash for the filter.

Engine bay. nothing more elaborate than satin black gone over with drybrushed german grey then same again with a little sky grey added.

Underside likewise painted.

Engine in place, air filter on, water hoses fitted, fan shroud and raditator sorted. Some detail paint and stock decals slapped more or less where they should be.

The instructions said I could put a little piece of tape around the heater hoses...

So I did

Drive train, exhausts, steering, suspension all painted and installed.
Only a bit of minor shoving here and there to get it all to fit. Which it mostly does.
Close enough will be good enough for the underside at least.

Turned my attention to the wheels, didn't take a before pic but this screengrab from a Youtube vid shows them well enough.

Always found the chrome on model parts a bit too glaring so introduced the ones I had to a container of bleach and stripped the chrome off.
A goodly scrub and dry off, then Alclad time! Alclad gloss back base then three very light airbrush coats of Alclad chrome.

I like this much better, the metal effect has some depth to it.

The tyres also had a bit of a talking to with some 600 grit wet & dry, used very wet. Just wanted to give 'em a bit of an in use look.

Went over the sides as well. Yes it looks out of shape and it is but once on the wheel and left alone for a while, it'll sort itself out.

And as a show and tell for how it all looks, well, you be the judge.

Have to say i'm really liking the look.

That's the wheels done. Halfway there, now to the body and interior. Which should be the moderate laugh riot these things usually are.

More to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc01742.jpg (112.6 KB, 1 views)
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 12-29-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: Revell 1/12th '69 Z-28 Camaro OOB build.

Wow, simple kit, sterling results. Can't wait to tune in, even though this is non-sci-fi.

-SF
Old 12-29-2020, 02:51 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Cheers SF. Odly enough, she was finished on the date of your post
Here's the remainder of the WIP pics...

Interior bucket painted.
Satin black with pleanty of dryrushing in royal blue and blue grey mix. Seat fabric done in drybrush white to give them a slightly patchy used look.

Front seats done, painted in the same was as the rear ones.

Center console and dash. Standard paint with stock decals an I do like the faux-wood ones.
All the chrome bits got the strip and Alclad treatment.

Interior door panels sorted.

Floor pedals just satin black with silver drybrush.

Steering column and wheel sorted, all those bits got put together.

Front grille and rear lights sorted, detail parts given the Alclad thing.

Bodywork time!
Tamiya fine white primer, polished up with a 1200 grit pad and plenty of clean water, then Novus 1, 2 and 3 plastic scratch remover and the clean & shine routine.

Much masking and in with Tamiya spray bright orange which is the closest to Hugger orange as I could get.

Peeled it all of and had bleed under everywhere sadly.

However, some scrape and polishing later sorted that and onward!
A couple of coats of Tamiya spray clear after getting the decals and dark wash on and then the Novus got a decent workout.

Inside of the hood just a lick of dark wash.

Window trims all in self adhesive aluminium foil. Single lump got polished and the strips cut and applied.

Front grille and rear lights installed.

Final paintwork cleanup, glazing intalled and that's the top bit done & done!
Assembly time!
And it all went rather nicely. Custom licence plate made up and fitted.

And that puts a wrap on this turnout
All told I am happy with the results and she has been an enjoyable and straight forard build for a change.
Does that count?
Old 12-29-2020, 01:09 PM

TEL20102 will become famous soon enoughTEL20102 will become famous soon enough

So what's the private plate 3RRI754 all about Ian??
Old 12-31-2020, 05:53 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Beautiful job Ian!!
Finding that bleeding under the tape must have made your heart skip a beat, it would have mine! I always say, its not only your experience, but it is how you fix you FU'ps.
Great save on the paint work. I have to say I have recently switched to all Tamiya products, and they have not failed me yet. I had to force myself to clear coat the horse sculpture I recently finished for fear of a run, but the Tamiya clear went on perfectly.
Did you wet sand the orange before applying the white?
That is one reason I don't attempt large scale car models. You have to be spot on with the paint & chrome work or you may as well go home! I love car & truck models, just don't want to screw up the finish.

Once again, well done.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:13 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEL20102 View Post
So what's the private plate 3RRI754 all about Ian??
A bloke I knew, lived in Lake County, California in the way back when had that plate on his Camaro, though my memory is a tad hazy so might not have got it all correct. That said, I do clearly remember that it had the June/'94 tags on it. Sadly we lost contact with each other in the late 90's so I can't ask him if I got it right. The other thing I remeber quite clearly is that he used to moan a bit that his wife drove it more than he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Beautiful job Ian!!
Finding that bleeding under the tape must have made your heart skip a beat, it would have mine! I always say, its not only your experience, but it is how you fix you FU'ps.
Great save on the paint work. I have to say I have recently switched to all Tamiya products, and they have not failed me yet. I had to force myself to clear coat the horse sculpture I recently finished for fear of a run, but the Tamiya clear went on perfectly.
Did you wet sand the orange before applying the white?
That is one reason I don't attempt large scale car models. You have to be spot on with the paint & chrome work or you may as well go home! I love car & truck models, just don't want to screw up the finish.

Once again, well done.
It did Scott but it has prompted me to chuck out all my old masking tape and buy some new stuff
Excellently done with that horse sculpture mate, it's a winner.

Actually it was the other way around. The white when on first, some serious polishing with a 12000 grit pad and water, then came the Novus plastic scratch remover and polish. The orange over the top, decals, dark wash, gloss coats and then the Novus again.
Bit of a job but I like the result.

Yeah, the finish is the make or break for car/truck models and I think I did ok with this one.
Does that count?

Last edited by Raytheon; 01-03-2021 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:43 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Gorgeous work!

Some of the issues here relate exactly to problems I'm having.

A few questions, if I may:

1) You sand the primer w 1200 (12000?) grit, and then apply Novus 1/2/3 -- does the Novus hurt paint adhesion afterward? (I get "orange peel" constantly, and I'm always looking for ways of eliminating it without destroying the coat of paint -- either better application, or a mild sanding regimen...)

2) How did you repair the paint bleed around the hood stripes? Was that all "sand it back and start from scratch"?

3) What tape let the paint bleed under, and what tape did you switch to?

Thank ye kindly--

-SF
Old 01-04-2021, 06:54 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Thanks SF!
You may...

1) Yes, I used a 12000 grit polishing pad which made he matt white almost a gloss, the Novus finished that up just nicely. I gave the body and hood a good clean off with a few drops of washing up liquid, then rinse to get it all squeaky clean. I ran in to no problems with paint adhesion. Both the white and orange were rattle can applied and there was a slight orange peel in a few small places. The polishing after the gloss coats dealt with all of that.

2) It wasn't just the hood stripes, the ones in the trunk lid had a fair bit of paint bleed as well. A combination of gentle scraping with a single edged razor blade, then polishing down with the grit pad almost got it all gone. Some light remasking and spray over on the really bad bits got it done.

3) I used my old Jammy Dog brand tapes but they were old and it wasn't untill after the fact I had a think and realised just how old some of them were. We are talking the better part of a decade with some of them so they all got binned after that peformance. Never had a prob before but like I said, well old so no good and that was my fault there. Time for me to stop cheaping out and get some new stuff .

Nay prob my friend.
Does that count?