Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
There's so much Awesome in this post, I'm not sure how to address it all, so here goes:

1) Can you elaborate on the 3D modeling/printing process you are having done for your nacelles? I'm assuming you are farming it out to someone skilled and who may have a printer. In my limited experience, it doesn't eliminate all problems, but rather introduces a different set of problems (stair-stepped finish, for example). Any info on how that whole process works out for you would be appreciated.

2) What's the foam/material you are using for the detector base? (you may have said it prior and I've missed it...)

3) Where did you get a 1/350 Archer class? I've heard of such a beast, but never seen one. Was it delivered by unicorn?

4) Wait. "Casting" the secondary hull...? As in, 1/350 kits of the Sentinel? For the Love of God, don't leave us hanging...

5) I can understand the "tender" operation, as the tiny Archer may need help to cover distances it normally could not do (or at least, not in a timely fashion, or something), and that Starfleet would have contingency plans to support the smaller ships. Anything that could fit within the larger ship's warp bubble, without "overhang" or adding too much mass, could be transported in such a manner. (Reminds me of the Enterprise-D delivering runabouts to DS9, or something similar.)

Many thanks for the inspiration and education.
Best-
That's a lot to address as well!

1) I had someone approach me to produce the warp drives at no charge. He is an established and well-known after market part manufacturer so I said "Please do!". As a gift horse, I don't like to ask a lot a of questions. He seemed confident enough to tackle it with the supplied plans I sent him. He hasn't shared any progress information yet other than he was working on it and as I have no experience in 3D printing I can only hope and guess. I'm hesitant to give any more detail at this point as he may eventually want to make this available for sale as an add-on 350 part through his company. I will leave that up to him once it's ready.

I have back-up plans should this fall-through. I can either scratch a master myself using bulkheads and forms like the secondary (not likely) or enlist the expertise of Blappy who has a lathe and the talent needed to produce the warp nacelle and dome masters. (more likely)

2) The foam is a High Density Urethane. It's used in the sign making business because it's lightweight, tough, easy to carve and weatherproof. It's replacing wood because it has no grain to contend with. I got a box of free samples from a fellow RI member to try out after he saw my attempts using Balsa Foam. I haven't seen it commercially available other than through sign supply distributors - and you have to request a quote. So, no idea on the cost. Sorry.

3) The 350 Archer was delivered by unicorn. It was another gift, this time by Jay Barnes! It is a sweet little model I think originally labeled from Sovereign Models.

4) Yes. I am mastering every part of Sentinel to cast them in resin. I have no intention myself to produce kits but parts might go to the above mentioned person in #1 to be scanned and/or produced as a kit in what scale I don't know. I leave that to guys who do that for a living. Last thing I want to become is a kit manufacturer.

5) Ditto! As I think about it, I'm not too sure it's wise to have a craft sitting between the nacelles at warp speed.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Excellent, all around.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:20 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Started a mold of the bridge module to try out a new two-part epoxy dough. I fear I may have to scrap this.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Started a mold of the bridge module to try out a new two-part epoxy dough. I fear I may have to scrap this. [...]
Scrap...why? It looks like it came out ok...

Also, what RTV silicone do you use for your molds?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:12 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Scrap...why? It looks like it came out ok...

Also, what RTV silicone do you use for your molds?
Oh, that's only the master buck next to the mold. I used SmoothOn's OOMOO 25 silicone rubber.

I had purchased a two-part epoxy dough which you mix by hand and then roll into a flat slab, pressing it into the mold to create a shell. I'll be trying that tonight - I've never done it before. If it works, I'll repeat this for the secondary hull halves. If not, I'll have to try to create an inner mold and do this as two-part mold and pour the resin into it. Also something I'm learning as I go.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:45 PM
All ahead full

Fun with Rubber! (I could only picture Blappy shaking his head at these pics. "What is this guy doing?!!')

The epoxy dough experiment didn't work as planned to produce a clean shell casting for the bridge module but it did have a secondary use as a buck for a two-part mold. So, a inner silicone mold was made and a few test castings were produced. #2 came out perfect.

Molds ready for casting (the pair on the left is a Shangri-La lower secondary half trying out a new new two-part process as well)

Number Two success:

Inside

The primary hull halves from the 350 TOS E kit are readied for molding. I only need the central portion of the bottom half so this is why the mold-fence is mounted right on the kit part. These walls are sections of foam-core, scored from behind, folded and bent, hot-glued to the bench top or hull.

Rubber skim coat is poured on. When this sets, the mold will be backfilled with plaster to act as a support base once cured and then flipped over.

Tyco Base Ship Yard - busy on Sentinel:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:23 PM

Kremin will become famous soon enoughKremin will become famous soon enough

That's looks like a lot of rubber for the primary hull, how much did it take?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremin View Post
That's looks like a lot of rubber for the primary hull, how much did it take?
It's really not very much. The rubber is probably only 1/4" thick over the surface of the primary. But, it's a lot of real estate on that 350 primary.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
[...] Luna Ship Yard - busy on Sentinel:
Ok, time to decipher:
1) Mac? I highly approve.
2) 1/6 (?) Captain's chair? Did I miss some huge Sentinel Bridge project post...?
3) Stack of brass... for shipyard work, or to be thrown down from orbit on enemy encampments (aka Rods from God, aka "Odin")?
4) 1/1000 Eagle, er, "Hood" prototype ()?
5) TOS Phaser, in case Klingons attempt to steal the plans for Sentinel? I'm hoping Jack Lord left his weapon there while he went to the head.

Looks like a paper Spencer Tracy watching from the back wall?
Anyone else want to decipher the secret lab...?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:32 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Ok, time to decipher:
1) Mac? I highly approve.
2) 1/6 (?) Captain's chair? Did I miss some huge Sentinel Bridge project post...?
3) Stack of brass... for shipyard work, or to be thrown down from orbit on enemy encampments (aka Rods from God, aka "Odin")?
4) 1/1000 Eagle, er, "Hood" prototype ()?
5) TOS Phaser, in case Klingons attempt to steal the plans for Sentinel? I'm hoping Jack Lord left his weapon there while he went to the head.

Looks like a paper Spencer Tracy watching from the back wall?
Anyone else want to decipher the secret lab...?
LOL!! It's always fun to play Eye-Spy with the big bench shots!

1) I have so many Macs, I've lost count. For the work I do, it's a must-have.
2) Yep. 1/6 Sentinel command chair. There's a thread on that here - (1/6 Sci-Fi)
3) Brass is piling up for the armature/keel of Sentinel. Once all the hull components are cast, I'll be soldering the framework together. If not, sooner!
4) 1/1000 Hood. Study model for the 350 version. Another thread exists here in In-Progress.
5) TOS phaser (Art Asylum) was used as a guide for the 1/6 phaser I built - also in the 1/6 forum.
6) That is indeed Spencer (from "Bad Day at Black Rock"), my first cut-out cameo I used on the Shangri-La build project. Spencer portrays TacFleet Admiral John J. Macreedy and overlooks the current bench projects.

Group composite from Task Force WF15:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 PM
All ahead full

The upper and lower halves of the 350 E primary were cast in white SmoothOn 300 resin and trimmed to the correct diameter for the Sentinel. The top half was test fitted on the secondary master:

The bottom primary began as a disk jigsawed from .125 styrene and another ring of .080 for detail. The center raised section is .040 styrene surrounding the chopped portion of the E lower primary. This area has to remain as flat as possible for that all-so-important clearance of the navigational deflector just below it.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Lovely work.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Humble Aspirant

*weeps tears of joy at sight of primary meeting secondary*
Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
*weeps tears of joy at sight of primary meeting secondary*
It's a bittersweet moment when you know it's only temporary.

The brass inner armature/keel was soldered yesterday after several brief moments of profanity. Something this small SHOULD NOT be done with a large propane torch (as used for copper plumbing) as you WILL destroy everything you've just put together. Having a small 'pencil torch' is the only way to ensure you bond only the joint you're working on without melting every other previously applied and hardened solder connection.

The new heavy base was supplied by The Cat. (Thanks Dave!) The mounting hole is offset but I don't think that will be a problem as this weighs about five pounds.

Here is a diagram illustrating the placement of this inner frame within the hull. The primary crossbeam as well as the pylon assembly have yet to be constructed.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:44 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

That looks good - the crossbeam in the saucer is inspiring. It may have solved a problem I've been having.