Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 12-28-2015, 12:10 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
w00t!
Updates again- it's a late Christmas present!

How much do you deviate from your concept sketch to the practical model? And what drives the changes? (I'm assuming the answer is "How much of a pain the butt this next scribing would be...")
Best-
Merry New Year!

On deviation, I'm assuming you're referring to the whole model and not just the scribing pattern. It really depends on how well thought-out my original plans were prepared and the speed I need to make it happen. In this case, I had spent some long hours in developing the Sentinel on paper to where I was satisfied with most of the aspects. Of course, being both designer and builder, I've got free reign to change things as I go to improve areas I wasn't 100% happy with. It really is a challenge to re-create something in three dimensions to conform to something you designed in only two. But deviation can be fun. New details brought about by spontaneity bring a fresh perspective to plan already "set in stone".

In terms of the scribe pattern, I did stay pretty close to the plans but added a few new things for added detail. The rings around the docking ports and where they tie into a horizontal Deck-level panel line echo forward to a TMP look.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:53 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Continuing on what seems more of the same boring stuff. Progress Updates Soldier on…

The photon torpedo tubes were drilled and filled with brass tubing on the lower primary "hump".

Originally, the plans called for the photon tubes above and on either side of the main sensor on the secondary hull. This proved to be a little too close for comfort to clearing the primary hull directly in front of it. I may still install tubular shapes in this position as possible tractor beam emitters.

The Big Milestone was the casting of the secondary hull master.

This was begun by surrounding one half of the master in clay and then walled in foam core. The exposed half was then covered in Smooth-On silicone rubber. Once cured, the walls were removed, mold flipped upside down and clay peeled off. Leaving the master in the mold and spritzing the rubber and master in mold release, the wall was reset and filled with more rubber.

After the mold cured completely, the walls were removed again, rubber carefully pried apart and master removed. To cast, a mixture of SmoothCast 300 resin was poured into one half of the mold. The other half was quickly placed over the first and rubber banded together as I rotated the mold by hand in all directions as the resin cured. This resin cures in about 4-6 minutes so you have to work pretty fast. The first casting came out pretty good but the bulk of resin had settled too much towards the top and the skin thickness was too thin along the sides. Adding a little more resin to the second casting and concentrating the rotation to the hull sides insured a much more even Lucky #2 cast.

The main sensor shroud was also cast in resin:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:58 PM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Looks like you didn't even have to do that much cleanup on the casting. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Awesome mold, awesome pics, and most importantly, awesome write-up.

Many thanks for the ongoing education!

Best-
Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 PM
All ahead full

Thumbs up Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Awesome mold, awesome pics, and most importantly, awesome write-up.

Many thanks for the ongoing education!

Best-
Thanks! I appreciate your interest in the project. It helps motivate me to continue.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Love your progress!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 12-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Fantastic.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:07 PM
All ahead full

Thank you gentlemen!!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:59 PM
All ahead full

The resin cast secondary hull ports were marked and drilled out for the usual method of reframing them in 3/32 x 3/16 rectangular brass tubing. These were cut into 1/8" segments and superglued into position, later filing flush to the surface. Both port and starboard sides took two full days to complete. 44 ports total.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

The amount of work to do all that boggles the mind.
1) How do you ensure they are all parallel?
2) Does this mean that Production Mk 1 is now the "true" master?

Edit: whoops, I asked a version of question 1 back on 29 Nov, answered on 30 Nov. I rescind, unless there is some new technique behind this aspect of the project...

Last edited by SCI-FI; 01-01-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
The amount of work to do all that boggles the mind.
1) How do you ensure they are all parallel?
2) Does this mean that Production Mk 1 is now the "true" master?

Edit: whoops, I asked a version of question 1 back on 29 Nov, answered on 30 Nov. I rescind, unless there is some new technique behind this aspect of the project...
1) Horizontal reference lines are penciled on the hull and a paper window template is traced to both sides.

2) Right, the "Production Mk 1" is now the actual model part as a hollow cast resin hull.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Very nice- very clean too.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM
All ahead full

Thank you Mr Warrior!

The production hull components were test fitted along with the armature. Some modifications were needed to allow the armature to fit properly within the hull. It was necessary to revise the aft end of the brass frame.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:29 AM

Kremin will become famous soon enoughKremin will become famous soon enough

so we've seen the moulding process, how did you hollow cast it?

Oh and any news on when you are getting your Nacelles?