Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 10-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Fantastic as always.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Lets... Lets do that!

Miketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really niceMiketech1982 is just really nice

I can't wait to see this come together! A question though, If one wasnt able to cast the parts like you are, woul being abe to construct the ship in the way that you are and skin it still work ok? I'm thinking of my future bashing, I know I dont have the first clue about casting, but I can fabricate pretty ok.

The result of a love of the hobby, and way too much time on my hands.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:12 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketech1982 View Post
\If one wasn't able to cast the parts like you are, would being able to construct the ship in the way that you are and skin it still work ok?
Absolutely! There are many ways to construct a hull shape. This method of bulkhead forms over a keel is used in model shipbuilding and tissue paper over balsa wood frame aircraft models. I think some of the benefits of creating sectional frames and skinning a hull shape is the ability to maintain true to the drawn plans while keeping the shape symmetrical.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:26 PM

Kremin will become famous soon enoughKremin will become famous soon enough

Another silly question, if you don't mind me asking. What type of resin is best for the larger pieces that won't crack or overheat while curing (might possibly be worth a tutorial somewhere on moulding and casting)
Old 10-12-2015, 06:47 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremin View Post
Another silly question, if you don't mind me asking. What type of resin is best for the larger pieces that won't crack or overheat while curing (might possibly be worth a tutorial somewhere on moulding and casting)
I've mainly used SmoothCast 300, a bright white general purpose resin for my small to medium sized parts without any trouble. The largest parts I've cast so far have been 1:537 primary hulls (11" diameter). I guess my question to you is what do you consider a large piece?

Smooth-On's web page features many tutorials on a variety of casting procedures and types of materials of all sizes.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 10-12-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Kremin will become famous soon enoughKremin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
I guess my question to you is what do you consider a large piece?
With out wanting to hijack your excellent build thread I'm building a 1:350 scale Remora class using an extented 1/537 scale primary hull as the primary so it's for the secondary hull and delta pods plus a Bridge B/C deck in scale

But it could be anywhere up to 1:350 Primary hull add ons and / or secondary hull

Quote:
Smooth-On's web page features many tutorials on a variety of casting procedures and types of materials of all sizes.
Thank you having a look now
Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremin View Post
With out wanting to hijack your excellent build thread I'm building a 1:350 scale Remora class using an extented 1/537 scale primary hull as the primary so it's for the secondary hull and delta pods plus a Bridge B/C deck in scale

But it could be anywhere up to 1:350 Primary hull add ons and / or secondary hull
I think you should not have any trouble with the SmoothCast. I'm no expert in resins or casting procedures but you could also try breaking the larger pieces into several molds rather than one large single part.

Ship's builder plaque art design:

The secondary hull continues to take shape as the .040 styrene is formed and clad to the framework. Next up is detail and construction of the deflector shroud and midship hangar bay details before this can be cast:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 AM
All ahead full

Weekend update: B/C deck and bridge master construction carved and lathed from high density urethane. The bridge was made by running a screw through a small piece and into the chuck of a cordless drill and "lathed" by holding a file against it as it spun. Turbolift cowl made from styrene.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Very nice. Digging the elongated B/C deck.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:24 AM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The secondary hull continues to take shape as the .040 styrene is formed and clad to the framework. Next up is detail and construction of the deflector shroud and midship hangar bay details before this can be cast:

Where'd that 1/350 shuttle come from? I'm gonna need a stack of them.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Melder View Post
Where'd that 1/350 shuttle come from? I'm gonna need a stack of them.
They come standard with every 1:350 TOS E kit.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:35 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They come standard with every 1:350 TOS E kit.
Jeez....that's embarrassing. I haven't looked at mine in soooo long I've forgotten what bits came in the kit....

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 10-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Clean design, flawless execution. Just amazing...
Old 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

You Sir, are the new Miracle Worker!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 AM
All ahead full

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words!

Update on the deflector shroud master. Continuing on with the success I had using the urethane on the bridge module, I carved this conical oval to begin the process of mastering the ringed deflector mount. This will be hollowed out carefully and then filled with two sets of oval styrene rings. An additional band around the base should 'fatten' the outer shroud a bit more. The area above the deflector might need filled with something. Plans call for photon tubes in either corner but the recess seems too deep yet.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 06:30 AM.