Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-26-2018, 02:24 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God
Default Spindrift from Land of the Giants

Been working on this project for some months now.
This is the Polar Light re-pop of the old Aurora Spindrift kit from the 1960's Irwin Allen TV Show "Land of the Giants":

Box Art by trekriffic, on Flickr

The model will be fully lit with cabin lights and six red LEDs in the stern soldered to a Tenacontrols flasher board to simulate the slow fade up and down of the engine grills. I've already wired up a pair of cool white headlights to the bow. I also purchased aftermarket JTG decals for the passenger and pilot cabins (I really like the instrument panel decals) as well as the exterior hull stripes and airline logos. I also replaced the round kit dome on the top of the hull with an accurate vacuformed oblong shaped dome.

Anyway, I've gotten the cabin cemented into the lower hull at this point and have finished installing all the chairs which was a job and a half as the ones that came with the kit were lacking in accuracy and detail as you can see in this pic:

Bulkhead Walls, Seats, and Forward Instrument Panel by trekriffic, on Flickr

Image of the studio chairs on the LOTG set:

Spindrift Set 05 6-26-4 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here's a pic of the passenger seats after I made my modifications:

Finished Painting the Seats by trekriffic, on Flickr

The pilot chairs:

Seats Installed in Cockpit by trekriffic, on Flickr

Pilot Seats in Cockpit from Rear by trekriffic, on Flickr

In the picture above you can also see the steering yokes and the red main engine monitor I mounted on the dash panel, all made from scratch.
In fact, this build is filled with little parts made from scratch to more accurately reflect what we saw in the show.

Right now I'm finishing up making the passengers and crew from a set of 1:72 scale Caesar Miniatures "Modern Urban Resisters" (Terrorists) figures:

Four Completed Figures by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here's the one I just finished of the Deanna Lund character, Valerie Scott, the headstrong, jet-setting heiress of the show:

Valerie Scott Finished by trekriffic, on Flickr

Anyway, you can view all the WIP photos here in my album on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/296074...57688194269503

All images are organized by date from the earliest to the last with descriptions so you can click on each one and read what I did.

Also, for those interested, who want to learn more about the series and see pictures of the model and cast members go to the Land of the Giants page on the Irwin Allen News Network. Just click on the link below:

http://www.iann.net/giants/index.htm

Hope you Land of the Giants fans enjoy what I've done with this build.
LOTG was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMIe5utv4n4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3127.JPG (218.7 KB, 1 views)

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 01-27-2018, 02:39 AM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spindrift from Land of the Giants

I loved that show too.
Liking your build, it looks like you've really researched all the details
Old 01-27-2018, 03:39 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Never seen or heard of the show, but that's a pretty cool looking ship you have there. Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.
Great figure painting BTW
Old 02-07-2018, 04:14 PM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

Moving right along...

Finished assembling Alexander Fitzhugh and puttying him with AVES to give him his girth and double chin:

Fitzhugh WIP by trekriffic, on Flickr

Fitzhugh WIP by trekriffic, on Flickr

Finished painting Fitzhugh. Here he is clutching his valise filled with stolen cash just like like in the pilot episode.
His epaulets were done using black decal film over which I painted gold stripes. He's been sealed with Future and sprayed with Dullcote:

Fitzhugh Finished by trekriffic, on Flickr

Fitzhugh Clutches His Briefcase by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next up... a boy and his dog...

Chipper and Barry by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited by Trekriffic; 02-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:31 PM
One-trek Mind

Not a lot to report. Got sidetracked by RL. Refinishing upstairs and downstairs cabinets this past week.

Anyway, I did manage to get Barry Lockridge (the boy) put together. The main challenge with Barry is his smaller size relative to the other passengers. Every part had to be shaved down a tad, all except for his head. A child's head is proportionally larger than an adult's :

Barry in Primer by trekriffic, on Flickr

Barry Lockridge by trekriffic, on Flickr

After brushing with Tamiya lacquer primer:

Barry Lockridge by trekriffic, on Flickr

I little rough looking to the DSLR's eye but he'll look fine after painting.

Next up is Chipper, the dog. I think the easiest thing would be to make him out of epoxy putty; I'll probably break out the Tamiya epoxy putty, it's stiffer than AVES and will hold detail better. Found this good profile shot of him:

Chipper by trekriffic, on Flickr

Before I place him in Barry's lap though I'll paint Barry's shirt and tie, jacket, and pants.

Saty tuned!

Old 03-08-2018, 06:13 PM
One-trek Mind

So here's the boy and his dog after I reworked Chipper's head a bit more. I added a tiny strip of styrene down the bridge of the dog's nose as he was kind of flat. Then I used Tamiya epoxy putty to add more hair to his bangs and to his muzzle. I also created a little tiny ball of epoxy to make his button nose. Some filing and sculpting with my dental tools and a day later, Chipper was ready for final paint. First he was brush primed, then he was and painted with mixes of beige, grey, black, white, brown and mixes of all of the above.
Here he is before painting or I think this was the first layer of white and black:

Barry and Chipper by trekriffic, on Flickr

Finally I'm done with figures! Time to jump into wiring and lighting the interior! Yeah!

Here's the LED wiring for the upper hull:

LED Wiring by trekriffic, on Flickr

A couple of light tests:

Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

Forward Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

More to come!