Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

Yes, I plan to have the gun rotate AND raise and lower. I actually done figured pretty much how I'll do that, but I would ALSO like to make the radar dish rotate. I haven't figured that one out yet and I'm thinking it's gonna need another small motor mounted in there somewhere. I want it to rotate slowly, so I'll need to figure a pulley set-up too.

The hubcaps are VHE-20 tubing caps from either Plastruct or EMA. You're suppose to use them to make 'bullet' type storage tanks and such with them, but for these tanks, they become hubcaps!

Rob.

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I notice two sockets on the brain box that don't appear to be used. Maybe they have some sort of output when the extra buttons on the controller are pressed? Maybe you could test them with a voltmeter or something....and maybe rig the radar's motor up to one of them?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Rob, is there room in the greeblies to embed a stripped-down laser diode? I mean, that would be PF cool. I've stripped some down to almost nothing and they've still worked perfectly. Quite cromulent. But I wonder if there's a button/channel on the remote for that.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
Rob, is there room in the greeblies to embed a stripped-down laser diode? I mean, that would be PF cool. I've stripped some down to almost nothing and they've still worked perfectly. Quite cromulent. But I wonder if there's a button/channel on the remote for that.
Maybe one of the extra buttons could activate the radar....and the other the diode?

VERY DAMN CROMULENT!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Utterly cromulent.

That very idea alone, gives me wood.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Yes, I suppose it couldn't hurt to figure out a way to make the remote do it all, if it will. Dave, there IS a couple extra slots, but I will certainly need some of you guys to help me with figuring anything out. I'm not any kind of remote control guy. I wanted to build a fully functional F-15 Eagle remote plane one time, but having absolutely NO flight experience even with a $50 job you can get at Sears, I figured it may not be wise to practice with $15,000.00 worth. Y'all have to admit though, that baby woulda looked COOL when it plunged itself four feet into the ground!

Anyway, y'all help me figure out what to do and I will. Sean, if you think I could get a cromulent laser....whatever that is.....to work on this, I'm open to that too! The only thing I told the man who ordered these builds was, I would certainly work on making the remote part work for as much as I could, so I'm MORE than certain if it went so far as to have a working laser, he'll be very pleased! The pieces that make up the gun can EASILY be hollow and/or modified some to accept a few bits, so let me know what you have in mind there.

Along with a close-up pictures of the brain box, I've included a couple of those VHE-20 caps too. It's as good a time as any to start comparing my cast parts to the originals! There are three different caps pictured. The gray and the clear are from EMA and the tan ones are mine. EACH tank build will need 16 of these, one for each wheel.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5400.JPG (252.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5399.JPG (247.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5398.JPG (213.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5395.JPG (304.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5396.JPG (318.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5397.JPG (235.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Fuck me! Those VHE-20 caps are used on Galactica. Right there on the nose cap.

Thanks bro. There's another mystery solved!

If I find one of those stripped-down laser pointers, I'll take a pic and post it. I used them in my MSc and they were mounted on the ends of 1/4" acrylic rods. The total size, I'd estimate, was a cylinder about 7mm in dia and 10mm long, or so. If you think they'd fit, I'd tear-down some new ones and send them to you for the builds.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Ha ha! I found them.

So I was wrong on the size. They're almost 1" long. Mayne around 9-10mm in width, depending on how you measure them. They're from standard laser pointers, so they run on 3 AG13 button cells. OMG the time I spent tuning the lenses on these things. Yup, nothing but the finest materials for grad students in Canada. The one I tested still produces a nice straight beam!

If you want some, email me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 001.jpg (147.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg pic 002.jpg (147.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg pic 003.jpg (146.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg pic 004.jpg (134.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Fuck me! Those VHE-20 caps are used on Galactica. Right there on the nose cap.

Thanks bro. There's another mystery solved!
Ok, are you telling me that I found a piece for the Galactica that y'all didn't know?????

If that's so, COOL! I'm here for y'all!

Now, those lasers look like they could be made to fit. Let me know what I would owe you for you to send me the smallest one you can find in your stash Sean! Then, DON'T LEAVE ME HANGIN"! I'll need explicit instructions on how to wire it and if we could make the controller 'fire' it, that would be awesome!

The tubing used for the section of the gun on the Eagle tank, where that would be fitted, is 7/16" thickwall EMA/Plastruct. Bored out, I could get a hole just under the thickness needed for the grooves needed.

Rob.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Here's something I needed to do. Here's just a couple of my cast parts directly compared to the originals.

Also, here's the, oh so illusive, mattress vent! Mr. Wabac, you asked in another thread once what the "mattress vent" was. This is it. This is used on both the Flat-Top and the Dome tank. Two each tank. There are numerous on the large scale Hawk too. Actually, Mr. Bower found this a favorite item. This and wedding cake pillars, that is.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5401.JPG (245.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5402.JPG (257.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5403.JPG (252.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5404.JPG (231.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5405.JPG (261.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5406.JPG (286.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5407.JPG (276.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
Ok, are you telling me that I found a piece for the Galactica that y'all didn't know?????
That's right! Maybe someone knows it, but I don't know if it's common knowledge. I have regressed a little regarding ID's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
Now, those lasers look like they could be made to fit. Let me know what I would owe you for you to send me the smallest one you can find in your stash Sean!
Heck. I'd be pleased to just send you a few. They're all about the same size. Wiring them would be dead easy. Placing them in the greeblies would be the hard part.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 AM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Rob, your casts make me weep, BTW. They look to be Airfix QE II parts, apart from the wheel hub?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM
It's gonna get real now.

I can't wait to build a laser tank.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 PM

DAMN!!! Took me twenty minutes to find this thread again.....!

Quote:
That's right! Maybe someone knows it, but I don't know if it's common knowledge. I have regressed a little regarding ID's.
Weel that is GREAT! Now, I can say that I helped every single one of y'all with every Galactica build!!!

Quote:
Heck. I'd be pleased to just send you a few. They're all about the same size. Wiring them would be dead easy. Placing them in the greeblies would be the hard part.
Sean, you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! Alright then, let's do this for now. Let me BORROW one. If it will work, I'll get at least three from you and try to incorporate them into all three! We'll work out what I owe you if that happens and if it WON'T work, I'll get the one I bum BACk to you.

Quote:
Rob, your casts make me weep, BTW. They look to be Airfix QE II parts, apart from the wheel hub?
I'll take that casting remark as a compliment. Yes, that IS one of the QE2 parts needed along with a couple from the Chieftain, Gemini and V-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
I can't wait to build a laser tank.
What are you waiting on? The best way to get one is TO GET STARTED.

I done told you....won't be no hand holdin'!

Rob.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 PM

Sean, you've got one HELL of an e-mail to read buddy!

Let me know what you think of THAT! Is it all you expected it to be?

Rob.