Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice
Default Modifying the Lunar Models Excelsior

Modifications to the solid resin super structure begin. This chine is not suppose to be there.

Last edited by Vidar710; 11-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice
Default Re: Modifying the Lunar Models Excelsior

Adding the bracket to the link doesn't display the image. Am I missing something? It didn't have ( or ) at the beginning or ending to put the [ in it's place.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Here's what you need - copy the code in this window:

...and paste it into your post.

The hash will look like this:

...until you post your... post
Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Wife just schooled me...

After all the modifications. Here's an old build that has been stripped down and a new part that has been corrected.

Here is the Trans Warp style dome with its scratch built adapter made from my daughter's DQ chocolate shake cap.

Last edited by Vidar710; 11-15-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Here is the finished resin super structure with the corrected bridge shape and the Impulse crystal. Included is the styrene hull plates that will also be added to the vacu-formed part so detail isn't lost due to their thin thickness.

Fixing the bottom of the saucer.

Here is the part as it comes from the kit.

I scratch built the trench and added an additional inner ring that corrects the profile of the bottom surface of the saucer.

Here the new trench assembly is installed.

The trench for the dorsal will be made once the inaccurate shape of the secondary hull's bow is corrected. This in turn with determine the shape of the combed dorsal, which will drive the final shape of the trench for the saucer and dorsal junction.

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 11-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM

Here I'll talk about scratch building the Planetary Sensor Dome assembly from the ground up.
This is the base with the a strip of ribbed sheet styrene that has been hand pulled to meet the contours of the bases edge. The drawing is a rough of what I want to accomplish.

Here the base's edge has been detailed.

A refined drawing is rendered to make the template for the flood light patricians. It is cut from sheet styrene and will be added to the base where a cardboard rocket tube segment has been added.

More ribbed styrene is used to back fill the opening for grill detail.

Here is a comparison of what comes with the kit and my scratch build.

Last edited by Vidar710; 11-15-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM

Making the Planetary Dome..

I came up with a diameter of 4.5" to make the right sized dome that this model's scale represents. Where to you get a 4.5" shere this time of year?!

I didn't want to use the ornament itself, so I molded a section of its surface.

Poured a little too much resin here.

The dome is sanded down to size

Details scribed in.

There is a raised outer ring to the dome assembly. This had to be cut from sheet styrene and scribed with the correct detail.

Since this ring is flat, it had to be hand pulled of a smaller diameter surface to get it to conform the dome.

A few more details are added... With some studying of the miniature, I found that two of the recessed ring details illuminate. The dome assembly will be molded and cast with Smooth On Crystal Clear 202 so they can be back-lit. There is still some significant work to be done to finish this sub-assembly.

I had started this assembly over a decade ago based on scaling up the details from the 1/1000 Excelsior kits. It was all there was for reference back then. New images over the net have motivated me to restart this sub-assembly from scratch.

More to come... to see more detail on the building of the other sub assemblies, check out the slide show...
http://s676.photobucket.com/user/Tra...ge%20Excelsior

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 11-15-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 AM

clactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to beholdclactonite is a splendid one to behold

Great work so far, this looks like a major project. Look forward to seeing your progress!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:56 AM

GEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of lightGEEWHIZ is a glorious beacon of light

Looks great so far, nice work.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Love the old school scratch building skills!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Thanks for bringing this over our way Tracy! I gives me a chance to say what I couldn't over on SSM-----

Fucking spectacular!

Pardon my French....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Small update: Continued work on the Planetary Sensor Dome.

To light the dome, material must be removed from the base. Here it is marked out.

Now each partition will have its own light source. The forward partition will have a bright LED spot light to illuminate the hull designation.

Just a little more work to do to finish up the partitions

Tracy
Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quite an education right there! Great stuff Tracy!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Normality Restored

beeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati God

Wow. What scale is this?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:13 PM
My ass is itchy...

Right around 1/537th (I have the Collective version) It's about 40" long.

I can tell you, it takes a brave, brave man to do what Tracy is doing here.

That's why mine has been in a box for 10 years.....