Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice
Default Re: Modifying the Lunar Models Excelsior

Scratch-Building the "Lip" on the bow of the Secondary Hull.

The lip is the exact same height as the thickness of the fantail under the main shuttle bay doors.

A scrap piece of sheet styrene is used as a base to build a mold and mark out the shape of the secondary hull's bow.

90deg triangles were used to ensure that the mold wall is positioned perpendicular to the base.

The mold and the bow of the secondary hull were coated with mold release, then the hull was placed in position. The resin was pre-mixed then poured into a disposable squirt bottle for precision application into the mold's cavity.

After the resin cured, the hull was pulled away from the resin, then clay was pressed in to hold the lip in the mold. The lip (secured in the mold) has excess resin removed by flat sanding unwanted material down to the mold wall.

The new lip part is pulled from the mold, then cleaned of mold release agents.

The lip is super glued into place, feathered into the bow, then filled and sanded.

With the final shape of the Secondary Hull's bow established, I can now move on to shaping the parts for the dorsal/saucer pylon assembly - which in return will determine the shape of the dorsal trench in the saucer.

With the work done so far on the secondary hull, I'm gonna have to reshaped and shorten the fantail. It would drive me nuts not to make the effort.

Tracy
Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

I might be simple-minded, but that lip is genius! Simple and accurate as hell!

I was wondering how I was going to do mine. Now I know. Thanks!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:02 AM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice

CORRECTING THE LENGTH AND SHAPE OF THE SECONDARY HULL
Using scaled images matching the scale of the kit, I have discovered that the various sub-sections of the model are not scaled properly to one another. The saucer is acceptable being only 1/8" too big in diameter. The Secondary Hull is almost 2" too long, and the Warp Nacelles are about 1.5" too short. I'm fixing the later two. The nacelles are easy - I'll use the technique for altering the length of airliner fuselages. Here is the solution I came up with to fix the length, correct to position of the aft step in the hull, as well as the over-all shape of the secondary hull.
Here, the unwanted material is marked out in pencil.

The forward cut is where the aft step in the bottom of the secondary Hull should be. Here, the forward cut is being made.

In this pic, the hull is now being checked next to a scaled image of the studio model.

The fantail, which is correctly shaped compared to the studio model is cut away from the unwanted hull section.

After gluing sheet styrene to the opening of the hull sections, they are sanded smooth. The bulkheads will help retain the shape of the hull sections, and will provide an excellent gluing surface. Here, the now miss-matched hull section are glued together using a center-line reference and clamped.

Close-up of the fantail glued back into place.

Since the fantail is very accurately shaped compared to the studio miniature, the forward hull sections sides will be altered to flow into the fantail. The studio model will give excellent references to the contours of the sides of the secondary hull.
Tracy
Old 12-13-2013, 12:04 PM

If you look closely, you can see I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. The centerline marking is askew. I have since removed the fantail, made sure both bulkhead sections of the hull are perpendicular to this line and re-glued it. Straight as an arrow now!

More pics to come!

Tracy
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Small update, but it was a bunch of work to get here...
Here, the secondary hull is re-assembled, the sides cut away and new top profile is set blending the whole hull from bow to stern. In this pic it also has been "pointed up" at the edges/corners with Apoxie Sculpt. After 24hrs of cure time, it will be sanded down to refined the edges so that detail is not softened too much during the vacu-forming process on the new clear part.
I'm VERY happy with how the modifications turned out. It looks dead on to the studio mini.

Tracy
Old 12-14-2013, 02:24 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

I definitely see the difference----looks great!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 12-14-2013, 04:48 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Great old-school model building!!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Little bit of a detour going on with the secondary hull. I found that the fan tail wasn't exactly symmetrical after all! The taper to the point was not directly amid-ships, or center. It was off to starboard about 3/8". Once I fix that, I will post pics of the new finished secondary hull master.
In the meantime, my sheet styrene showed up from California while I was out on my last trip. 3 sheets of 60" X 26" X .02", and 3 sheets of 60" X 26" X .03" will be use to make 82 parts for the dorsal/pylon plates, Nacelle plates, and Nacelle pylon plates that are beneath the pylon blister/junction. The larger plates in each section will be .02" thick, while the smaller spacer plates are .03" thick.
I am also experimenting with a 4" diameter dome casting for the Planetary Sensor Dome compared to the initial 4.5" diameter I all ready made. It matches the studio model images, but it still seems too shallow in 3D. Pics of that to come to see what you guys think.
Happy Holidays! It'll be good to be home for a 10 day stretch!
Tracy
Old 12-22-2013, 01:47 PM
My ass is itchy...

How are you going to approach all those plates Tracy? Hand cut?

That's a lotta work....

Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM

I'm gonna make a sturdy template for each required plate and hand cut them myself. It's only .02 and .03, so it won't be too bad - just tedious. Sean Sides had me heading to a company in Denver that laser cuts his acrylic and styrene, and I was intending going that way.... till he told me the $200 price tag to get it done. It's gonna cost me about that to get the secondary hull and top half of the primary hull vacu-formed in clear. At least I'll get a few copies of each in the process.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:18 AM
detail junkie

Andrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to beholdAndrew C. is a splendid one to behold

Good work! I love the NX-2000 Excelsior and your build-up is looking very cool.

Be sure to visit our facebook site at:
https://www.facebook.com/gluesbrothers/?ref=bookmarks
Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 PM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar710 View Post
I'm gonna make a sturdy template for each required plate and hand cut them myself. It's only .02 and .03, so it won't be too bad - just tedious. Sean Sides had me heading to a company in Denver that laser cuts his acrylic and styrene, and I was intending going that way.... till he told me the $200 price tag to get it done. It's gonna cost me about that to get the secondary hull and top half of the primary hull vacu-formed in clear. At least I'll get a few copies of each in the process.
I-----uhhh-----DEFINTELY see your point!

More fulfilling doing it by hand anyhow.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 PM

The new master for the secondary hull is DONE!
Here's a length check.

Here's a shape check.

I wasn't happy with the scribing on the first attempt with the Planetary Sensor Dome, plus I thought it looked too flat. I went and bought 4" balls and casted the surface on one of them.

The first, on the right vs. the new on the left. Much cleaner and the radii's are much more accurate.

Note* This part will be molded and cast in clear. I found an image showing the outer ring in the resin part and the inner ring of the styrene ring illuminate.
The process from raw casting, to sanding down to 4.2cm, the scribing and adding the styrene details.

I injected slow curing resin into the cavity between the skin of the assembly and the initial disk assembly. This gave the part strength,and allowed me to shape the surface for a flat fit with the dome sub-assembly.

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 12-26-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:17 AM

Del is a jewel in the roughDel is a jewel in the roughDel is a jewel in the roughDel is a jewel in the roughDel is a jewel in the roughDel is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful craftsmanship! Thanks Tracy for sharing your process. Very inspiring.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM

I've had several emails and messages asking why I need to clear cast the Planetary Sensor Dome. They don't see any evidence of it ever being lit. This isn't a CGI image, but the studio model in "Search for Spock". Take a close look at the dome.

Just the dome will be clear, not the flood light patrician section. Once the clear casted dome is light blocked and painted the hull color, the two radii's will be re-scribed clean of primer and paint to allow light from a white LED to pass through.
Tracy