Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 11-05-2017, 10:37 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sentinel N-Type Shuttlecraft 1:24 scale

Hey, just an FYI, DAZ Studio has a new plugin that will allow for really accurate 3D printing of figures. They're currently way too large and expensive, but I asked on the forums there and the company behind it all said that smaller figures (I asked specifically about 1/48 and 1/72 for Runabout and Trek shuttle projects) are in the future. Currently, you're looking at a pretty penny for a hyperrealistic hand painted figure, but unpainted, smaller versions are in the future. It may be something to keep in mind if you want to populate your shuttle with that Vulcan hottie, or that... You know.

https://www.daz3d.com/3d-print-details
Old 11-06-2017, 12:08 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptivaboy View Post
Hey, just an FYI, DAZ Studio has a new plugin that will allow for really accurate 3D printing of figures. They're currently way too large and expensive, but I asked on the forums there and the company behind it all said that smaller figures (I asked specifically about 1/48 and 1/72 for Runabout and Trek shuttle projects) are in the future. Currently, you're looking at a pretty penny for a hyperrealistic hand painted figure, but unpainted, smaller versions are in the future. It may be something to keep in mind if you want to populate your shuttle with that Vulcan hottie, or that... You know.

https://www.daz3d.com/3d-print-details
Thanks for the heads-up. 1/24 figures are in the works. I don't know about hyper-realistic 3D printed ones but hand made for sure.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Styrene framework began to take shape over the weekend. My 3-view plans don't exactly line up so there's going to be a lot of guesswork while I nail down the complicated curves of the hull. .080 Plastic sheet is used here:

Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Fantastic work Admiral.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Internal frame welding complete!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Commander on the inspection tour.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 AM
All ahead full

Holiday bench time yielded good progress on the hull frame. More bulkheads and nose structure. Now beginning to lay out cockpit interior as a separate unit that can be built, lit and painted separately - then installed before closing up the hull.

Craft might be assigned to ENDURANCE:

Cockpit lighting test with red LED in overhead alcoves.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

I cannot even fathom how to translate the 2D drawings into cross-sections.
This is a specific failing of mine, and it's hard to make progress on any scratchbuild based on existing drawings.
Any advice on how you do this?
How often do you cut the cross-section frames and they turn out to be garbage?
Or worse, how often do you make frames and skin it and later found out you made a mistake?
This is a serious limit in my modeling skills. :O
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
I cannot even fathom how to translate the 2D drawings into cross-sections.
This is a specific failing of mine, and it's hard to make progress on any scratchbuild based on existing drawings.
Any advice on how you do this?
How often do you cut the cross-section frames and they turn out to be garbage?
Or worse, how often do you make frames and skin it and later found out you made a mistake?
This is a serious limit in my modeling skills. :O
I think you can see in one of the above images that I've taped the side and top view to the bench, aligning them. Penciled lines drawn at intervals through both were made to indicate where I wanted to create a bulkhead. Using measurements from the center line or from the floorboard for each bulkhead gave me the specific points (width and height) in space to form each hexagonal frame along the hull shape. The front and rear views also helped but as I had not drawn them correctly, further complicated the procedure so I used them only as reference. These measurements were transferred to paper to create a template, cut out with scissors, checked and then traced onto sheet plastic and cut out.

The first frame piece was cut incorrectly and tossed.

As the frame begins to fill in, you can start to see the hull shape beginning to form as each frame transitions to the next. Any errors can be smoothed at this point or additional material added to the frame if too shallow - before skinning. Again, even after skinning, more body work can continue with fillers. I think the effort of sheet on rib formers is a quick way to stay true to the plans, if available. It's not for everyone as there are more accurate ways I'm sure of achieving a 3D representation. But, I enjoy the challenge.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-28-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

tsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
I think the effort of sheet on rib formers is a quick way to stay true to the plans, if available. It's not for everyone as there are more accurate ways I'm sure of achieving a 3D representation. But, I enjoy the challenge.
actually, what you describe is a traditional modeling method for building model boat hulls, using drawings of the real boat, that has been used for centuries.

seems to work well for spacecraft as well
Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 AM
All ahead full

More of the usual nonsense. I had to cut the nose off of the body so I could get my hands inside the cockpit. Also started the nose gear and well assembly.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Absolutely love the "hooded control panel" designs-- reminds me of the transporter controls circa Star Trek II...

Last edited by SCI-FI; 12-07-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Fantastic. I seemed to have missed your last update.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Humble Aspirant

Heck, even the seats look like a hybrid of TOS and TMP chairs....

Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 AM
Kneel Hoomans! Mwaahaa!

Apophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati GodApophis Resin Illuminati God

Looks okay i guess... nah just kidding looks amazing! great job!