Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God
Default Northstar/DeBoer Enterprise Refit Repair And Rework.1/260th Scale

Greetings all!
Got slung this one as I knew I would eventually. As I say in the opening to the first log page on my site "Now this beastie has a long and colourful history and has gone through at least two sets of modeling hands before coming to me.
I won't bore you with the gory details but with that in mind, here's what I have to work with as a basis..."

Page 1, Parts round up, build brief and problems a plenty to sort.
http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wipdeboerrefit.html

And what I have to work with is this:
Main lump.

Engine nacelle and pylons.

Detail parts and the like.

Now then, interior parts will most likely not get used as client has said he's not interested as such in those or lighting. Just want's a build and paint to look like the 'Search for Spock' Refit including all the battle damage of course. Like this...

My bit is to get in to it, correct the stuff that needs it and there's a few bits of that! Then do up to look like the above pics. Sounds simple when you say it fast

Be a while before I truly get to grapple with this lass but it will happen!
Later gang!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2017-09-30-07h59m37s370.jpg (72.2 KB, 11 views)
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Northstar/DeBoer Enterprise Refit Repair And Rework.1/260th Scale

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this Ian.
Wanted one for a long time but could never justify the price tag...
Old 10-02-2017, 06:54 AM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute

Ian,
I see you have the old back vinyl I used to use... Let me know if you want the new yellow for the azteks

Lou
Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this Ian.
Wanted one for a long time but could never justify the price tag...
Thanks Jim. Trust me, now I've had a good look over the parts, the price tag of $2000 is NOT justified and neither are the claims made about it on their website. I am fully aware of what it takes to lay up epoxy glass mouldings and doing resin castings myself and it is labour intensive but when some the parts coming out are inaccurate, sorry but just not good enough at that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek Dummy View Post
Ian,
I see you have the old back vinyl I used to use... Let me know if you want the new yellow for the azteks

Lou
Hi Lou, you're not wrong there mate! PM me the details/prices if you would be so kind. I have this and the DeBoer Reliant to do and they both have your masking stuff but extra masking material in reserve is never a bad thing.
Does that count?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Ooo, the STIII Enterprise, complete with damage. I've wanted to see how to replicate this for many moons. I'm planning this on my 1/350 Reliant, so I'll be tuning in; details please!

-SF
Old 10-09-2017, 09:10 AM

kirkman New face in the crowd

Ian, I would like to know what you think of the shape of the secondary hull of this ship as opposed to the 1/350 Polar Lights version. Also the size of the windows around the primary hull. Having seen both upclose and in detail. Thanks
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Ooo, the STIII Enterprise, complete with damage. I've wanted to see how to replicate this for many moons. I'm planning this on my 1/350 Reliant, so I'll be tuning in; details please!

-SF
Well it will be a while 'till I get to her SF but I will have to pop the saucer top off and deflector to get access to the innards but from there, there will be some violence done unto the hull parts to make the appropriate holes, then build small areas of subsurface damage, fix behind said holes and then epoxy fiberglass the shit out of 'em to put back the strength in the hull.

Then comes the paint and so on rebuild, hoo-ha, etc. yadda and so on to get the lass done!

Well that's the short version anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Ian, I would like to know what you think of the shape of the secondary hull of this ship as opposed to the 1/350 Polar Lights version. Also the size of the windows around the primary hull. Having seen both upclose and in detail. Thanks
Hi Kirkman, The shape of the DeBoers is almost a match to the 350th PL except for:
1) Profile wise, the top where it goes in to the fantail/hangar doors area, it slopes up almost to a level rather than continuing near straight and slightly downward from the rear of the strongback to the hangar control room.

2) Also the 'hump' over the strongback to the bottom of the neck is a bit too pronounced so that makes the downward curve to where it meets the defector housing too steep and the photon torpedo housing slightly on the side of being the wrong shape.

3) When viewed from the top, the fantail is wider so as the line approaches that, it kicks out slightly rather than a smooth curve from the main bulk of the secondary hull in to the fantail.

As to the windows on the primary hull, the placing is about a match though the long round ended windows seem a bit too short, that said, those have to be cut out by whoever buys the kit in the first place so can't really judge.

The height from the top line of windows to the bottom in way too much but since the primary hull is about 1/4" too deep, that's to be expected and will be remedied on this build...lords save me.

Hope all that waffle helps!
Does that count?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

How deep is the primary hull, Ian?
I believe the PL is around 18.5mm so if the DB is 240th the depth would be roughly 27mm, or 25mm at 260th?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

The primary is just a whisker shy of 27mm deep, it varies slightly as it goes round the edge. So in that, my estimate of 6mm needing to be taken off looks to be wrong but for the look, I'm not certain even 2mm off will not be enough. Pic of the primary as is, see what ya think.

Does that count?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 AM
The Kiwi

It does look kinda chunky...
But without the sensor bands painted it's possibly more noticeable?

I'd thought the hull on my scratch build was too deep, after seeing Dave's 350th Miranda.
It looks like it is, but the tape measure puts it at only fractions of a millimetre off.

Three-quarter_front.jpg
Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 AM
Banned

delorean1981 New face in the crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
The primary is just a whisker shy of 27mm deep, it varies slightly as it goes round the edge. So in that, my estimate of 6mm needing to be taken off looks to be wrong but for the look, I'm not certain even 2mm off will not be enough. Pic of the primary as is, see what ya think.

what I think is that you are a nerd who wants to kiss william shatner.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:38 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Mr Jackoff has been dealt with.

Sorry Ian---- I'm sure you would have liked to taken a shot at him, but like my dad said, "you can't argue with an idiot." And it takes up space on the board.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
It does look kinda chunky...
But without the sensor bands painted it's possibly more noticeable?

I'd thought the hull on my scratch build was too deep, after seeing Dave's 350th Miranda.
It looks like it is, but the tape measure puts it at only fractions of a millimetre off.

Attachment 73010
Aye, that's the problem right there. How it looks to the eye vs. measurement. Same prob with the DeBoer, some things just smack me up the back of the head with how wrong they are, some look just a bit off but seems to agree with the callipers/vernier/calculator but still look off.

This is going to be one of 'those' builds, I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
Mr Jackoff has been dealt with.

Sorry Ian---- I'm sure you would have liked to taken a shot at him, but like my dad said, "you can't argue with an idiot." And it takes up space on the board.
Shame, shame. Was kinda looking forward to a bit of verbal fisticuffs, have to wait until the next idiot comes along...which sometimes is not as long a wait as it should be

That said, I understand George so not a prob my friend
Does that count?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:28 PM
The Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
some look just a bit off but seems to agree with the callipers/vernier/calculator but still look off.

This is going to be one of 'those' builds, I can tell
Maybe so, but I'll be following it with interest